Roll Input structural failure modeling is incorrect.

=475FG= Dawger

Hello everyone,

please try with wake turbulence off.. I noticed hitting my own wake or that of the bandit I am chasing caused me to break up.. in an F-18.. I am not saying it will fix the problem, but at least one variable can me removed from the equation.

• 3 months later...

Just had the wings break at 7.7g in a sustained turn with a very gradual rate of increasing g.

This is pretty silly behavior for a simulator.  First, airplanes are engineered with a safety factor.  And secondly, in real life there's no way you hit some magic stress number that causes the wings to instantly shear off an airplane, especially at a load that's only ~6% higher than the stated stress limit.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ClydeBigBird said:

Just had the wings break at 7.7g in a sustained turn with a very gradual rate of increasing g.

This is pretty silly behavior for a simulator.  First, airplanes are engineered with a safety factor.  And secondly, in real life there's no way you hit some magic stress number that causes the wings to instantly shear off an airplane, especially at a load that's only ~6% higher than the stated stress limit.

... unless you have already exceeded the stress limit once prior and structurally weakened the wings so it can no longer sustain the stated load limit (let alone the safety factor).

This is a thing in DCS; over G once and you may get away with it but you WILL have lowered the structural g failure point. Ergo, so the next g excursion you make could well result in a failure well below the rated g limit + safety factor.

Edited by DD_Fenrir
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

@=475FG= Dawger The two snippets at the top. What's the source document and page numbers for those? The bottom one is from the Flight Manual.

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/286582-roll-input-structural-failure-modeling-is-incorrect/?do=findComment&comment=4850670

Edited by Bucic

19 hours ago, Bucic said:

@=475FG= Dawger The two snippets at the top. What's the source document and page numbers for those? The bottom one is from the Flight Manual.

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/286582-roll-input-structural-failure-modeling-is-incorrect/?do=findComment&comment=4850670

Same manual, Section VI, page 6-3

Good luck.

Edited by =475FG= Dawger
  • Like 1

EDsignaturefleet.jpg