Project Lancaster

On 3/29/2024 at 7:20 AM, andyc said:

genuinely thinking of buying the thrustmaster boeing yoke just  to fly this when it comes out.

I wish thrustmaster had an 8 lever set... 4 throttle and 4 rpm. 😵‍💫

• Like 2

Project Lancaster Dev 🙂

2 hours ago, BrianTheBrain said:

I did actually send them a message suggesting they took the boeing yoke but made the yoke piece you hold interchangeable for different aircraft (like they do with racing sims these days) - so you could have a lancaster, or b17 or vulcan or b52 or dakota or c-130 etc. 

Re the 8 lever set - yeah  i was pondering if i could get close with the honeycomb bravo throttle quadrant - there's a firm that makes replaceable throttle handles and i also suggested to them they do a lancaster style - but the ones that come with it are pretty good. It can do a 4 engine jet - not really designed for 4 engine prop.

10 hours ago, andyc said:

Re the 8 lever set - yeah  i was pondering if i could get close with the honeycomb bravo throttle quadrant - there's a firm that makes replaceable throttle handles and i also suggested to them they do a lancaster style - but the ones that come with it are pretty good. It can do a 4 engine jet - not really designed for 4 engine prop.

Yeah, that might be a good start. I think 4 of the 6 could be throttles, and the other two could be left 2 rpm and right 2 rpm. as it is internally theres not even 4 individual throttle keybinds yet 🥶

Project Lancaster Dev 🙂

30 minutes ago, BrianTheBrain said:

Still gives you 6, or 9 levers, not 8. and not a great way to mount one on top of the other

You will need 4x3 levers, so 12 levers in total (4x throttle, 4x rpm, 4x mixture)

Maybe the Authentikit fella could save the day for our levers?

I’ve been threatening for ages to buy something for the Lanc when it comes. If it makes more sense to have a couple of things bound together I’d live with it. I have rpms bound together on the Mossie, doesn’t hurt much.

I’m not on the discords, might have a look about it again.

Cheers for the update.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Slippa said:

Maybe the Authentikit fella could save the day for our levers?

The authentikit guy is in our server and said he's definitely interested in making something Lancaster. That would be a dream.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Project Lancaster Dev 🙂

14 hours ago, BrianTheBrain said:

Just released a new dev report. if you are on discord, but not our server, you should be! discord.gg/project-lancaster-810241832130314270

joined - this is simply an awesome project ! wish i had the technical modding skills to be able to help.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BrianTheBrain said:

The authentikit guy is in our server and said he's definitely interested in making something Lancaster. That would be a dream.

Well, ‘definitely interested’ is as good as a promise around these parts, I’ll take it 😁. Never know, if he gets really carried away and fancies something Lancaster, would a full scale flyable be out of the question?

Trust your landings are up with Lokis by now Brian :pilotfly:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BrianTheBrain said:

If they can do a ready to fly kit, it would be cool, because their options is a limitation. Having to find someone who can print the model, and having to build the model is something that not everyone can do.

I would love to buy the mosquito throttle if it was a ready to fly.

Edited by Phoenix FR
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Phoenix FR said:

Having to find someone who can print the model, and having to build the model is something that not everyone can do.

I was looking at their stuff the other day, getting excited for the Mossie throttle too, and also thought this...but had a closer look at what the kits provide, the amount of support available, the Youtube vids etc etc etc and now think I was wrong.

For sure it's a bit of effort, and needs to be viewed as a sort of mini-game within the hobby, but that's no bad thing at all. It would also be immensely satisfying.

Is it plug and play? No. Is that an issue? Honestly I no longer think so - I think anyone could put the kits together! 

Edited by Tonker
Vids
  • Like 3

Nah, I've only just met 'er...:pilotfly:

On 3/31/2024 at 4:57 PM, BrianTheBrain said:

Looking at my Warthog today and I agree. I want proper starter buttons too but then it’ll be flaps, switches, seats etc. Things could get way out of hand.

Could we have some examples of landings in the progress report I wonder? Loki and Brians ‘smooth operator challenge’ maybe?

Strictly for training and research purposes o course 🙂.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Slippa said:

Looking at my Warthog today and I agree. I want proper starter buttons too but then it’ll be flaps, switches, seats etc. Things could get way out of hand.

Could we have some examples of landings in the progress report I wonder? Loki and Brians ‘smooth operator challenge’ maybe?

Strictly for training and research purposes o course 🙂.

Mayhaps if I can figure out how to use the replay tracks thing. funnily enough ive never opened a DCS replay XD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Project Lancaster Dev 🙂

I have built both the Spitfire and Mossie kits.

Use the Bondar boards.

They are plug and play.

It all works a treat!

But skills are needed with tools and such.

Not for the faint of heart.

And it took about six weeks from printing to hook up.

I will never go back to the basic T master set.

If you have the time, and skills and 3D printer,

I highly recommend you make them!

• Like 2

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

55 minutes ago, Hawkeye60 said:

I have built both the Spitfire and Mossie kits.

Use the Bondar boards.

They are plug and play.

It all works a treat!

But skills are needed with tools and such.

Not for the faint of heart.

And it took about six weeks from printing to hook up.

I will never go back to the basic T master set.

If you have the time, and skills and 3D printer,

I highly recommend you make them!

so i am thinking of getting into this 3d print parts lark ! But I am a COMPLETE beginner on the subject... I am thinking of making a proper apache ah64 cockpit surround to mount the mfd's etc into... So questions 

1. what software to use to design parts ? I can do windows or mac os x

2. recommendations for a printer - home hobby not some industrial thing costing thousands...

3. Skills when it comes to making someone elses parts - i assume requires soldering experience etc to wire up electronics ? anything else required / programming i can handle...

3. Anything else I need to know !! 🙂

Lets address each question in turn

1)  There is a free app for converting files into printer Gcode files.

It usually comes with the printer.

The free one is called Cura.

It is what I use.

It allows you to edit the object, size.scale etc before converting into Gcode

2) No need to buy a expensive printer.

There are many great ones for under 500 bucks.

I bought a China made one for two reasons,

a) it was the best printer for the money,

B) it had a large printing area, very important! get the largest printing area you can afford.

I paid under 400.00 for mine.

It has had a few issues over time, I ran it 24/7 LOL

The company was quick to respond and send parts to fix it.

YMMV

3) Soldering and mechanical skills. Not difficult, just time consuming.

Do not rush it.

Slow and steady yields good results.

I through out many a part because of not being careful.

Save you filament and money! Go slow!

4) The best teacher is experience.

I was a newb when I started.,

It come fast.

Most important, start small.

Do not try a large project till you get your feet wet.

That is all I can think of.

One other thing,

thingverse has lots of stuff to download free.

Including flight sim stuff.

A good way to practice.

https://www.thingiverse.com/

• Like 2

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

1 hour ago, Hawkeye60 said:

Lets address each question in turn

1)  There is a free app for converting files into printer Gcode files.

It usually comes with the printer.

The free one is called Cura.

It is what I use.

It allows you to edit the object, size.scale etc before converting into Gcode

2) No need to buy a expensive printer.

There are many great ones for under 500 bucks.

I bought a China made one for two reasons,

a) it was the best printer for the money,

B) it had a large printing area, very important! get the largest printing area you can afford.

I paid under 400.00 for mine.

It has had a few issues over time, I ran it 24/7 LOL

The company was quick to respond and send parts to fix it.

YMMV

3) Soldering and mechanical skills. Not difficult, just time consuming.

Do not rush it.

Slow and steady yields good results.

I through out many a part because of not being careful.

Save you filament and money! Go slow!

4) The best teacher is experience.

I was a newb when I started.,

It come fast.

Most important, start small.

Do not try a large project till you get your feet wet.

That is all I can think of.

One other thing,

thingverse has lots of stuff to download free.

Including flight sim stuff.

A good way to practice.

https://www.thingiverse.com/

so here's a though i had - buy a 3d model kit of an apache - and see if there was any tool that would allow me to scan in the parts i wanted and then scale it up ie i know if i bought a 1/35 scale kit just need to multiply it by 35 to get real size. Then break the part down into printable size chunks

Nice idea!

I  like it!

The better the model, the better the end result.

The real devs use pictures taken of the real thing, then that is converted or used  somehow.

I am sure there are apps that do as you want.

A dedicated app to size would be best I think.

Cura is very basic in its abilities.

You want to be able to edit the parts as needed.

Good luck!

Let us know how you get on.

You should browse the 3d section of the forums

You may find someone has already done what you propose.

We should also take this conversation there.

This is about the Lancaster.

Lets stay OT please.

The work going on here is outstanding!

Lets not muddy the thread!

• Like 2