Project Lancaster

Hello, bit of a lurker here... finally joined.

Being 44 years old and playing the old dos flight simulator on an old 486 IBM computer (vga monitor oooOOoo) .. and messing around making some airplanes from my local flight school; creating aircraft from scratch was pretty difficult...but this was all 15~20 years ago.. 

And then I run into this post.  😮!

Anyway, I don't have DCS.. I tried running it on my computer and it ran like garbage.  I'm saving up for a good PC build and trying to do research on what to get..video cards, memory, processor..I have my commercial pilot's license... but instead of flying piper's and cessna's I'm looking forward to your Lancaster release 😎.  Always loved the Mosquito and the Avro Lancaster... favorites.  

Looks great!  Hope you don't go through any major burn out in the process!  Good luck!

• Like 3

On 2/24/2023 at 12:49 PM, GUINCHO said:

Y la pregunta esperada ....

Para cuando el lanzamiento ...?

Es que es una pasada de aparato  , y ovbiamente con un gran trabajo y tiempo empleado detràs , mi màs sinceras felicitaciones 

No tenemos una fecha de lanzamiento porque significaría que podríamos tener que tomar atajos para cumplir con los plazos, la calidad sobre la cantidad

We dont have a release date because it might mean we might have to cut corners to make deadlines, quality over quantity

18 hours ago, Matthew007b said:

Hello, bit of a lurker here... finally joined.

Being 44 years old and playing the old dos flight simulator on an old 486 IBM computer (vga monitor oooOOoo) .. and messing around making some airplanes from my local flight school; creating aircraft from scratch was pretty difficult...but this was all 15~20 years ago.. 

And then I run into this post.  😮!

Anyway, I don't have DCS.. I tried running it on my computer and it ran like garbage.  I'm saving up for a good PC build and trying to do research on what to get..video cards, memory, processor..I have my commercial pilot's license... but instead of flying piper's and cessna's I'm looking forward to your Lancaster release 😎.  Always loved the Mosquito and the Avro Lancaster... favorites.  

Looks great!  Hope you don't go through any major burn out in the process!  Good luck!

Welcome, Flight sim has certainly evolved in the last 20 years, a bit more complex.
Maybe with the next few updates we get multithreading which should allow DCS to run way better, the mossie is a handful but good fun to fly, it's like a mini Lancaster

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Minor Lancaster Fanboy

EDbanner.png

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for the lack of updates, been quite busy with life recently but work has continued on the code side. we have had a HUGE update to our EFM and simulation of the engines, superchargers, propellor feathering, boost and RPM, a whole load thanks to loki. Our testers are going through and testing the performance with time to climb to altitude against the real figures. The work means that we have more refined lift coefficients and the aircraft is starting to feel alive
Lancaster_III-mean-climb.jpgimage.jpeg
image.png

The red EFM Test 1 line represented the first attempt which was very linear; although not plotted here our new version is nearly identical to the true values

And now for some more visual stuff:
image.png

image.pngimage.png

image.png

• Like 14

Minor Lancaster Fanboy

EDbanner.png

10 hours ago, Komet_82 said:

Will it be possible to operate the tailgunner position whilst autopilot flys the plane?

Thats the plan at the moment, our mid upper turret works and fires but runs into some issues in multiplayer that will need a work around. We haven't decided how the pilot works in the turret position yet but we could do a level autopilot such as the sperry one fitted in later marks

• Like 3

Minor Lancaster Fanboy

EDbanner.png

21 hours ago, Scoobyon said:

Thats the plan at the moment, our mid upper turret works and fires but runs into some issues in multiplayer that will need a work around. We haven't decided how the pilot works in the turret position yet but we could do a level autopilot such as the sperry one fitted in later marks

This is going to be a very unique experience for DCS (fending off 109's & co from a turret), likely to re-invigorate the WWII scene a bit - can't wait!

This needs to be an 'official' module - astounding work so far.  

Can't wait to get ahold of the skin template.... 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Screen_230410_165356.jpg
Exhaust flames using DCS's in built exhaust system. We are still figuring out how to make the flames the more iconic blue but each flame represents one cylinder being modelled in game. You start to see from this screenshot why the later marks were equipt with exhaust hiders
image.png

• Like 10

Minor Lancaster Fanboy

EDbanner.png

image.png
image.png

image.png
Texturing on the wing starts, testing a technique to get the overlapping effect of the sheet metal.
Working on a 8k texture per wing that gives us approx 5.551 pixels per centimetre which sounds like a lot until you realise a standard rivet it about 3/16" or 0.47cm giving us about 2 pixels to rivet with
image.png
Theres banding on the gradient here with the way I exported the height map from photoshop but its enough to demonstrate how a pop rivet would look

• Like 10

Minor Lancaster Fanboy

EDbanner.png

Will there be a scoobyonathon to a release coinciding with any fancy new terrain/map releases that may be forthcoming? 🥸 😄

- just so everyone gets their regular shot of ‘are we nearly there yet’ 😜.

seriously, no rush, looking good. Tick-tock. 🕰️ 

3 hours ago, Slippa said:

Will there be a scoobyonathon to a release coinciding with any fancy new terrain/map releases that may be forthcoming? 🥸 😄

- just so everyone gets their regular shot of ‘are we nearly there yet’ 😜.

seriously, no rush, looking good. Tick-tock. 🕰️ 

Not sure what you mean by a scoobyonathon but will have a mess about on Normandy 2 and get some nice screenshots. Most of the time Im flying now my screen is filled with flight model information and debugging stuff so taking screenshots is a process

• Like 2

Minor Lancaster Fanboy

EDbanner.png

I mean like a marathon session of getting a scoobyon, (a move on.) I’m kidding since you’ve made clear there won’t be any rushing to meet deadlines but had to wonder if you might be near to being able to drop your Lanc around the time of the new map. Wishful thinking, I’m more interested in seeing this release than any others and to be honest, have to stop myself posting ‘are we there yet’ ‘when can we get it’ every other day I see this thread move. Gagging to jump in it. Keep on.

Edited by Slippa
Grammar

13 hours ago, Slippa said:

I mean like a marathon session of getting a scoobyon, (a move on.) I’m kidding since you’ve made clear there won’t be any rushing to meet deadlines but had to wonder if you might be near to being able to drop your Lanc around the time of the new map. Wishful thinking, I’m more interested in seeing this release than any others and to be honest, have to stop myself posting ‘are we there yet’ ‘when can we get it’ every other day I see this thread move. Gagging to jump in it. Keep on.

If/When it does get released it will probably be a first/second week of December deal to coincide with the big end-of-year virtual airshow, That would be my what I would want to happen but no point in holding onto something finished if we finish it in a January or something

I agree with the marathon part though, currently working on the pop rivets and sheet metal on the wingtip and leading edge (wip). Im fairly confident that the rivets are within about 1cm of where they should be and the actual aircraft mesh has maybe only 5mm deviation from the real aircraft anywhere but I'm planning on redoing the fuselage model (for the 4th time) sometime soon
image.png

• Like 10

Minor Lancaster Fanboy

EDbanner.png

It really is good to see the attention to detail and I recognise the attitude to getting everything as good as it can be. I’ve got a bit of a problem with it myself. If I’m not happy with something being right I’ll often scrub the lot and start all over again, no matter how much time or money’s already spent. If a job’s worth doing, it’s worth doing properly. It can be a royal PITA at times but the right way to go if you want things right.

Your fourth shot at the fuselage can only be an improvement on it and if you released it without doing what you know you could’ve done, well, you’d be kicking yourself that you didn’t. Dedicated patience, and worthwhile. You may be seeing a few rivets in your sleep but that’s ok 😛 

It’s looking pretty good already and getting better. Can’t wait.