Problem with zoom on FREE TRACK

DanKurt

May be something with the freetrack software but I think its DCS BS.

When I move my head forward to zoom in on HUD, the view zooms into the HUD display projector as it should ,but the HUD graphical display (the green information) does not get any bigger:huh:

If I do this manually with the keyboard zoom, all is fine.

I know this software is not supported by ED but do any other Freetrack/Track IR users have this problem?

i use a trackIR3, but i disabled that axis and so i zoom with a slider on my hotas. zooming with trackIR never satisfied me in blackshark, as it zoom somehow... "strange", never testet out why i feel it this way.

but for sure, with a slider for the zoom, you can zoom a lot smoother and MORE imho...

Democracy is choice, not freedom...

keep in mind if you do that you wont be able to lean foward and look out the sides to see back. Just map the zoom to your throtle. workes very well this way.

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

https://digitalcombatmercenaries.enjin.com/

When I move my head forward to zoom in on HUD, the view zooms into the HUD display projector as it should ,but the HUD graphical display (the green information) does not get any bigger:huh:

When you move your head forward, you don't zoom your view, but pan your view. HUD display behaviour is then as in the real thing, it won't get any bigger in relation to your field of view.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Shaman, that maybe how the views are in the game but when in reality, if I move closer to a screen the objects/information on that screen get closer and thus larger.

I have now mapped the zoom view to my POV hat switch as I am using the stick throttle for my collective and this works fine.

Thanks for your comments.

Edited by DanKurt

Shaman, that maybe how the views are in the game but when in reality, if I move closer to a screen the objects/information on that screen get closer and thus larger.

The behaviour of a hud is a bit awkward in this regard. Being a collimator with focus on infinity, real huds do not get bigger when you get closer to them, it's a feature, not a bug. As, essentially, a targeting device, the HUD has to point at the right point in space regardless of from where you're looking at it.

The only way to solve this problem is the said collimator setup (or maybe mounting it on your head and calibrating it at startup like in the apache, but then it's referred to as HID). It's also why the HUD moves left to right and up and down with your head asf.

Also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-up_display

cheers

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

hey i managed it to double assign my track IR Z axis... works pretty good for me.

So how does it work then? Does it zoom and move at the same time? Sounds awkward. Please elaborate :book::)

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Thats exactly what it does and i even think that's how it should be (except for the hud maybe) but if you lean towards something lets say switches in the cockpit then it gets bigger (zoomed) too.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

F-14 Tomcat

Rest in Peace

(and hopefully get reborn in DCS!)

(Dream came true about 10 years later, now the Apache please :lol:)

Well what do i need a hud for if it is so small that i cant read anything on it? a bit of a waste dont you think? I still use a old 17" monitor and running black shark in 1024x768 you can hardly read the stuff on the hud.... and if we are then talking about the rocket pipper for example it is way too small too.... so the only way to help this is zoom...

Anyhow if you read my post, it is realistic to have zoom inside the cockpit.. since if you lean towards something it gets bigger ( zoomed ) just try it out lay something on your desk and then move your head towards it = it gets bigger. Even if it is not realistic for the HUD it doesn't matter. Other zoom with keyboard buttons and i do it with my tracking device!

Anyhow the starter of the topic said he needs to zoom with keyboard buttons and I helped him with a solution how he could use his tracking device for it, realistic or not!

Edited by Maverick-GER-

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

F-14 Tomcat

Rest in Peace

(and hopefully get reborn in DCS!)

(Dream came true about 10 years later, now the Apache please :lol:)

• 2 years later...
Well what do i need a hud for if it is so small that i cant read anything on it? a bit of a waste dont you think? I still use a old 17" monitor and running black shark in 1024x768 you can hardly read the stuff on the hud.... and if we are then talking about the rocket pipper for example it is way too small too.... so the only way to help this is zoom...

Anyhow if you read my post, it is realistic to have zoom inside the cockpit.. since if you lean towards something it gets bigger ( zoomed ) just try it out lay something on your desk and then move your head towards it = it gets bigger. Even if it is not realistic for the HUD it doesn't matter. Other zoom with keyboard buttons and i do it with my tracking device!

Anyhow the starter of the topic said he needs to zoom with keyboard buttons and I helped him with a solution how he could use his tracking device for it, realistic or not!

I don't think it's realistic look in that video:

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/living/2011/01/08/wolf.virtual.battlefield.cnn

the hud in the sim look a lot more bigger than in the DCS sim. look at the timeframe 2:23 you see, the guy don't nned his binocular to be able to read what is written in the hud.

Hope someone will fix this in a future release because I have that issue too.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 64bit, Core I7 950, Nvidia GTX 260, 6 gig RAM, TIR 5, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Logitech attack3 :(

• 3 months later...