Your opinion about new pc config for DCS VR

Hi, it’s about 10 years ago I was close in the DCS community (lock-on). So time to start up again but with a new rig off course. (My latest GPX was the GTX8800 😃)

So I will add the system I would like to buy and hope you guys can give me some feedback on that. 

VR: Oculus quest 2

Processor:  Intel Core i9

Processor: 11900K
Processor kernen: Octa core (8)
Kloksnelheid: 3,5 GHz
Turbo snelheid: 5,3 GHz
Cachegeheugen: 16 MB

Intern werkgeheugen (RAM): 64GB

Samenstelling geheugen: 4 x 16 GB
Totaal aantal RAM geheugensloten: 4
Geheugenslot 1: 16 GB
Geheugenslot 2: 16 GB
Geheugenslot 316 GB
Geheugenslot 4: 16GB
Geheugensnelheid: 3200 MHz
Type geheugen
DIMM DDR4

Opslagcapaciteit

Totale opslagcapaciteit: 2 TB - SSD
Type SSD: M.2, NVMe, PCIe

Grafische kaart

Videokaart chipset: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080
Werkgeheugen van videokaart: 10 GB

Edited by Ross

Configuration:  

Windows 11 Home/ Intel Core i9-12900FRTX 3080 10 GB/ 64GB DDR4-3200/ 2 TB m.2 NVMe/ HP Reverb G2/V2/ Thrustmaster Cougar Hotas/ 

INSTAGRAM ACCOUNT@ross_impress • Instagram-foto's en -video's  (everything about the real flying world, drone and DCS)

• Ross-impress changed the title to Your opinion about new pc config for DCS VR

Hi Ross,

If you want Intel I would go for the latest generation of Alder Lake. I think an i7 would be enough, in times like these using it with DDR4 would be a better idea too. Again in these times it might be easier to find a 3080ti over a 3080, you might be lucky though. VR users do seem to get a better experience on Nvidia graphics cards,

So, Intel 12700k, Z690 DDR4 motherboard, 64gb 3200Mhz C16, or C14 DDR4, Nvidia 3080ti. 2x separate 1tb Nvme Gen3/4 SSD drives. One for sims and one for Windows. This would be my system of choice if I could afford it and wanted to get into FCS VR in a serious way.

You could also go with an AMD based system, 5800x/5900x CPU, X570 motherboard and then the same as above for the rest.

As for a VR headset I dont know if Oculus have the best option for DCS but I am sure a few forum members will have suggestions.

• Like 1

I agree that the Alder Lake series is much better . Gamer's Nexus YT channel tests pc components (and pre-builts) like no other , and their results show the Intel 10 series actually out-performs the 11 series . 

• Like 1

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Ok just to be clear, that is correct that some Intel 10th series will out perform Intel 11th series.

I am not recommending either of those, I suggested an Intel 12700k, over an Intel 11900k, so that is the 12th series and is called Alder Lake using the Z690 series of motherboards. I dont think you will need the power of a i9 Intel, an i7 should be enough and you can put money saved towards a GPU or SSD's.

If you do choose to go with Intel Alder Lake, consider, instead of using the new DDR5 you can still use DDR4. I would do this or go with AMD X570. Whichever you prefer, both will do the job well.

Edited by Bossco82
  • Thanks 1

I think Svsmokey ment that 11th gen is even beaten by its predecessor 10th gen in many ways and thus 12th gen is a good choice and don't even consider 11th gen at all, rather look at the AMD side. I would, definitely go 64GB DDR4 with AlderLake as well if I had to build one. Rather put the money in the best GPU you can get and a solid overall PC than paying a fortune for RAM that has little to no benefit in gaming.

Edited by BitMaster
  • Like 1

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

No worries , i could have been clearer...

• Like 1

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Thank you all for this great detailed explanations.  

About the VR, OCULUS Quest 2 is a good choice?  I know the G2 will be better, but I don't like to give such a lot of money at the VR glasses.

Also my wife would use it for Beet saber 🙂

Edited by Ross

Configuration:  

Windows 11 Home/ Intel Core i9-12900FRTX 3080 10 GB/ 64GB DDR4-3200/ 2 TB m.2 NVMe/ HP Reverb G2/V2/ Thrustmaster Cougar Hotas/ 

INSTAGRAM ACCOUNT@ross_impress • Instagram-foto's en -video's  (everything about the real flying world, drone and DCS)

Well what it is worth, I just got my new machine  running some time ago. Phenomenal difference in comparison to my old one with 32GB RAM and a i7, 10875H 2.3GHz and a 2070Ti card.

Here are the specs

I use a reverb G2. No experience with other consumer VR devices as of yet. Must have an v2 cable for AMD, otherwise G2 will refuse to cooperate.

Additionally I have Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster pendular rudder and a Virpil collective base with KA50 grip.

Thanks to Speed-Of-Heat 3090 guide and settings, flying is quite realistic and even with lots of aircraft in the air, missiles, ground units, I am finding that this set up works really well. 

Not just using this set for entertainment, I have other uses for it.

4 hours ago, Baltic Pirate said:

Well what it is worth, I just got my new machine  running some time ago. Phenomenal difference in comparison to my old one with 32GB RAM and a i7, 10875H 2.3GHz and a 2070Ti card.

Here are the specs

I use a reverb G2. No experience with other consumer VR devices as of yet. Must have an v2 cable for AMD, otherwise G2 will refuse to cooperate.

Additionally I have Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster pendular rudder and a Virpil collective base with KA50 grip.

Thanks to Speed-Of-Heat 3090 guide and settings, flying is quite realistic and even with lots of aircraft in the air, missiles, ground units, I am finding that this set up works really well. 

Not just using this set for entertainment, I have other uses for it.