Realistic helicopters rotor sounds

HUAF-074

HUAF you are the Incredible Mods Generator Man ¡¡¡

Thanks for your efforts

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Thanks for the mods! When the new Mi-8MT model is finished it's gonna be even more realistic!

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice © Scooter

Intel Core i7 8700K, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5, 32Gb DDR4 CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 3200MHz, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080Ti Extreme, VKB Gunfighter MkII + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM MFD Panels, TrackIR5

Am I the only one that thinks that the KA-50 sounds to much like a jetengine in idle, especially on the outside views? Primarily when I have low collective input. I think this is a bit unreal. There should be a lot more rattle imho. Yes, every helo sounds different. But I have never seen a helo with a nearly complete absence of rattle sound. Even with more collective input, the engine-idle-like sound is to loud imho.

Am I the only one that thinks that the KA-50 sounds to much like a jetengine in idle, especially on the outside views? Primarily when I have low collective input. I think this is a bit unreal. There should be a lot more rattle imho. Yes, every helo sounds different. But I have never seen a helo with a nearly complete absence of rattle sound. Even with more collective input, the engine-idle-like sound is to loud imho.

Perhaps the APU was still running...

DCS Rafale - please :thumbup:

Perhaps the APU was still running...

Nope. Its on other helos too. I ran the benchmark that was postet here and there are other helicopters in the view that also sound way to much like a small jet with engines running in idle.

I tried to edit the sound config, but then the mission does not load.

• ED Team
Nope. Its on other helos too. I ran the benchmark that was postet here and there are other helicopters in the view that also sound way to much like a small jet with engines running in idle.

I tried to edit the sound config, but then the mission does not load.

So if heli have a turboshaft engine how it suppose to sound like?

Edited by Laivynas

Best Regards, Dmitry.

"Чтобы дойти до цели, надо прежде всего идти." © О. Бальзак

So if heli have a turboshaft engine how it suppose to sound like?

Well I am not an expert with the KA-50 sound. But I think that the engine sound is to dominant. For instance, look at that video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLba1ZdyYOg

Even when he is hovering and the engine is clearly audible, the rattle by the rotors is almost equal. In the game there are often moments (especially on outside view) when the main rotors are not audible at all. Well, as I said, I am not an expert with the KA-50. But when you say it is realistic that even if you are a few meters away from the BS you often dont hear the rotors at all, then it is ok. I only feared that my sound is not how it was intended.

ocram, what OS are you using? I am asking, because if you are using Vista, you may have problem with 3D sound (sound source position and volume may be wrong). DirectX implementation in Vista doesn't support 3D sound anymore, so games, which uses DirectSound3D, may sound badly on Vista, if 3D sound wrapper/emulator (like Alchemy) isn't used.

Wir sehen uns in Walhalla.

Well I am not an expert with the KA-50 sound. But I think that the engine sound is to dominant. For instance, look at that video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLba1ZdyYOg

Even when he is hovering and the engine is clearly audible, the rattle by the rotors is almost equal. In the game there are often moments (especially on outside view) when the main rotors are not audible at all. Well, as I said, I am not an expert with the KA-50. But when you say it is realistic that even if you are a few meters away from the BS you often dont hear the rotors at all, then it is ok. I only feared that my sound is not how it was intended.

It's the wrong way to decide of sounds from youtube-like videos.

picture.php?albumid=243&pictureid=1732

It's the wrong way to decide of sounds from youtube-like videos.

That is right, for sure. But I doubt that the sound in real would be so totally different.

ocram, what OS are you using? I am asking, because if you are using Vista, you may have problem with 3D sound (sound source position and volume may be wrong). DirectX implementation in Vista doesn't support 3D sound anymore, so games, which uses DirectSound3D, may sound badly on Vista, if 3D sound wrapper/emulator (like Alchemy) isn't used.

I am using Windows XP. I will try to make a video with sound and upload it. So everyone can get a better impression of what I mean. Maybe everything is working correct and the sound is like intended.

BTW, I have already tried the sound mod.

Another point to remember is that the majority of a helicopter's rotor noise is actually generated by the tail rotor, rather than the main rotors. Ka-50 doesn't have a tail rotor so you would expect it to be quieter.

Eurocopters with a fenestron, and MD Helicopters' NOTAR both reduce the helicopter's audio footprint quite dramatically.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Having approx. 80 flight hours as flight engineer in Ka-32 (featuring the same engines and similar rotor system as Ka-50) and quiet a lot in ground runs both from inside (cockpit) and outside I can tell you that the original sound of Ka-50 is VERY, VERY realisitc in all modes- idle, auto, take-off power, maneuvering, high speed, high rotor RPM, autorotation, spool down.

I don't want to discourage you, I respect your efforts, but IMO it's a waste of time to try changing something that doesn't need a change.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

Ok, I have tried to replicate it. Dont know how to describe it, but the engine sounds allways to near imho. And listen to the sound at around 1.40 when I start to hover. To me the engine is to dominant.

And I have found another flaw or bug? The engine sound kicks in or out at a certain distance.

But I have to say that the sound(system) is way better than in any other simulation. A lot more complex and sophisticated.

Better sound quality

http://rapidshare.com/files/169909087/BS_sound_test.avi

I would recommend to everyone to experiment with the sounds sliders, depending on your sound hardware and hearing you might experience different impression.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

This is with modded. The modded rotor sounds are already louder/heavier than the originals.

What do you mean by "already"?:) Did you use modded version of HUAF-074's sound mod or just his mod?

Also I have never used ALchemy. Will BS sound better If I used ALchemy?

What do you mean by "already"?:) Did you use modded version of HUAF-074's sound mod or just his mod?

Also I have never used ALchemy. Will BS sound better If I used ALchemy?

Yes, I used his version. And his version is already louder/heavier than the default sound. But the engine is still to dominant imho. Maybe I can mod that by configuring the text file.