Laser guided bombs with Targeting pod

ColinM9991

I'm reaching wits end with laser guided bombs and the targeting pod in the F-16. At the moment I'm playing through the Red Flag 21-1 campaign and, while I've passed the first mission and continued, I have been unsuccessful in executing the following plan for the laser guided GBU's so I've been going back to try again.

image.png 

I can execute the beginning of the drop as well as lasing, but the targeting pod reaches it's limit and loses sight of the target always in the final 5-10 seconds until impact. This happens regardless as to how much I roll.

How on earth do you use laser guided bombs, without a JTAC, in this aircraft? I have not experienced this problem in the F-18 or the A-10.

Edited by ColinM9991

You have to turn back towards the target slightly to stop the target going too far behind your 3 o'clock line and running into the gimbal limits of the pod. Generally the best course of action is as soon as the bomb is away turn HARD left to put your target on your 3 o'clock line, this stops you closing range with the target. Then start a gentle right turn to keep the target between 3-4 o'clock. Lase with 10-15 seconds to go, and as soon as bomb impact then turn hard towards your egress direction.  It can also be a good idea to drop from point track down to INR using TMS right before heavy maneuvering and then once stabilised with the target between 3-4 o'clock then get a point track again before you start lasing.

Edited by Deano87
  • Like 2

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

1 minute ago, Deano87 said:

You have to turn back towards the target slightly to stop the target going too far behind your 3 o'clock line and running into the gimbal limits of the pod. Generally the best course of action is as soon as the bomb is away turn HARD left to put your target on your 3 o'clock line, this stops you closing range with the target. Then start a gentle right turn to keep the target between 3-4 o'clock. Lase with 10-15 seconds to go, and as soon as bomb impact then turn hard towards your egress direction.  

Thank you, I'll give this a try. Up to now I have been doing a gentle bank left, as depicted, which explains the behaviour of reaching gimbal limits. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ColinM9991 said:

How on earth do you use laser guided bombs, without a JTAC, in this aircraft? I have not experienced this problem in the F-18 or the A-10.

Try this, 22000 Ft, 420 GS (that´s about 300-305 Indicated).

After release turn 20-30° away and wait for the timer to reach 15 Seconds to Impact. Lase and enjoy the Fireworks; just be aware that it´ll take a few more seconds after the Timer reaches Zero before impact.

52d_Sig_Pic3.png

I must be wrong or have missed some factor mentioned or Frederf would have said this already. I was under the impression that the Tpod is normally mounted on right side and so the jet should turn RIGHT following release to best maintain target in view. 

Windows 7/10 64bit, Intel i7-4770K 3.9GHZ, 32 GB Ram, Gforce GTX 1080Ti, 11GB GDDR5 Valve Index. Force IPD 63 (for the F-16)

3 hours ago, CobaltUK said:

I must be wrong or have missed some factor mentioned or Frederf would have said this already. I was under the impression that the Tpod is normally mounted on right side and so the jet should turn RIGHT following release to best maintain target in view. 

Since the pod is on the right, it's often useful to turn left so you keep the target on your right side (the side that has the TPOD)

Edited by LazyBoot

It's not going to make a big difference. Pilots have been known to feel a little disoriented when the pod and screen are on different sides of the plane (at least A-10, F-16 is practically central). In a good LGB attack the little situational awareness dot shows the pod pointing almost straight down. The point of the lean away is mostly to avoid the podium effect where the bomb and laser spot are on different sides of a tall object and bomb loses sight. It's also nice to be a little harder of a target and to not require the TGP head to do the super dramatic motion when flying directly over.

If you're reaching limits post release try a little later initiation of the turn and/or less AOB.

Many thanks to everyone who replied to this thread. I am able to produce repeatable results now when performing laser bombing by applying the outlined strategies. More importantly, I've found that keeping an eye on the TGP in the MFD allows me to better predict where the camera is currently pointing.

Also, auto stpt was enabled at the time of the mission but it wasn't triggering any waypoint change as I never passed the waypoint threshold. It was an issue of banking too far left, too fast, and reaching gimbal limits.

• Like 2