Alt+Enter does not enter full screen; stuck in windowed

Nealius

It's as if game updates are stopping the whole 'NVCP VSYNC off , Autoxec placed in config , in game fullscreen on and Vsync On' trick from working properly, I had to reset everying back to norm then reapply to get FS working again but it was a bit hit & miss and very frustrating, I also note that load times have significantly increased although I haven't played it for a while so can't say which update slowed load times, it's either one of the last 2 - why the hell won't ED take this seriously and give us back the ability to run the game in FS without having to fudge it like we do, if their intension is to stop supporting FS then why give us the option to change it in the settings?

Things like this drive me mad and put me off flying 😞

System Specs: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz @ 4.8GHz, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master, 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600 RAM, GeForce GTX 4090, Crucial SSD (750 GB), TrackIR 5, TMWH, TM T-Flight Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49” Odyssey G9

1 hour ago, Dr Zaius said:

It's as if game updates are stopping

Well, this is occurred to MT for now, and non-MT (single thread) is still working perfectly as today.

I am not sure that ED will remove the single thread version eventually... if yes, it is very sad .... 😞 

Dell XPS 9730, i9-13900H, DDR5 64GB, Discrete GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080, 1+2TB M.2 SSD, TM HOTAS Warthog/TPR, TKIR5/TrackClipPro, Win 11 Pro

21 minutes ago, scommander2 said:

I am not sure that ED will remove the single thread version eventually... if yes, it is very sad .... 😞 

The odds of ST making it to the end of 2024 are very low.  ED has stated that when they get the big bugs worked out of MT that ST is done.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, scommander2 said:

Well, this is occurred to MT for now, and non-MT (single thread) is still working perfectly as today.

When you say "ST working perfectly" I take it you mean with the autoexec entry. I havent been able to really play much at all since Feb so im not sure if an update negated this fudge. 

Regardless a fudge is what it is sadly and one that could disappear in a patch. 

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

2 minutes ago, Boosterdog said:

When you say "ST working perfectly" I take it you mean with the autoexec entry

Yes, it is correct.

Wish (hope?) the same treatment will be implemented in MT.

Edited by scommander2
  • Thanks 1

Dell XPS 9730, i9-13900H, DDR5 64GB, Discrete GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080, 1+2TB M.2 SSD, TM HOTAS Warthog/TPR, TKIR5/TrackClipPro, Win 11 Pro

On 6/29/2023 at 12:43 PM, Roostyla said:

Whats your Nvidia control panel set to do, VSYNC off , on or let application decide? I recall when were using this fix before we had to set it to one of those to prevent a black screen.

18 hours ago, audiodistortion said:

I force VSync off.

I forgot about the "use 3D app setting" but ran it successfully with Vsync on - with it off there is (unsirprisingly) no vsync. It also works with the "use 3D application setting" option when combined with the ingame vsync option ticked which i'll stick with as per the original recommended settings. 

So far it all looks ok but I cant actually do any "flying" to properly see. That said, Im assuming EFS is EFS so also assume the befefits remain. 

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

• 1 month later...

I have raised a ticket with support regarding this issue. There doesn't appear to be a suitable workaround, leaving TrackIR usage in the sim a jarring and unpleasant experience. Given how integral TrackIR is to systems management and situational awareness, I feel this is something that needs more attention. Eagle Dynamics did resolve TrackIR related stutter back in 2016/17, providing us with several years of beautiful fluid TrackIR inclusion in the sim. It is a shame the same, or a similar apparent issue has returned in 2023.

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

58 minutes ago, hughlb said:

I have raised a ticket with support regarding this issue.

I did open the support ticket with ED, and ED support was trying to tell how to make the full screen without ALT+ENTER and closed this ticket at the end 😞

Edited by scommander2

If you haven't already tried it then I recommend try turning off 'Fullscreen' and 'Vsync' in DCS . It made my head tracking much smoother and consistent, less stuttering / juddering . I don't understand why as it seems counter intuitive but there you go. Tested in MP severs Tempest and ECW, My other settings are

PS3eye cam w/ opentrack

320 x 240 100hz

NVCP

Low latency - Ultra

Gsync on

Vsync on

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, Noctrach said:

Has there been any progress in re-enabling Alt+Enter for the multithreaded build? The microstutters are really keeping me off playing 😕

No but im pleased to report that the stuttering also exists to a degree in full screen exclusive since 2.9 as well so you aint missing out right now. 

Just to add to this if you tried my earlier post and its not working, make sure to have open track / your software open in the background (don't minimize it) There is something about NOT having fullscreen enabled and having the app open that allows DCS to run without the stuttering for me. Still working in 2.9 . Yes you might be losing some max FPS by not having exclusive fullscreen but you gain in consistency.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roostyla said:

Just to add to this if you tried my earlier post and its not working, make sure to have open track / your software open in the background (don't minimize it) There is something about NOT having fullscreen enabled and having the app open that allows DCS to run without the stuttering for me. Still working in 2.9 . Yes you might be losing some max FPS by not having exclusive fullscreen but you gain in consistency.

I tried disabling fullscreen in the graphics options and DCS wouldn't even get past the "15 years of DCS" window anymore, driver updates, repair tool etc. all didn't help.

Reading all this I'll just put off reinstalling until 3.0 or so.

At least the absolute state of this game in the last two years has been great for the wallet.

5 minutes ago, Noctrach said:

I tried disabling fullscreen in the graphics options and DCS wouldn't even get past the "15 years of DCS" window anymore, driver updates, repair tool etc. all didn't help.

Reading all this I'll just put off reinstalling until 3.0 or so.

At least the absolute state of this game in the last two years has been great for the wallet.

Have you still got the autoexec file with command alt + enter fix from a few months ago? Delete that out as it will interfere with fullscreen being un-ticked. I'm not using anything custom anymore.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Noctrach said:

I'll remove it before I forget

Sorry for hearing the issue and will it work if remove the autoexec file?

I had tried few times to make the full screen for testing and switch back the windowed screen by switching from the big monitor to the small monitor (my primary screen) to cause DCS determines the full screen setting was invalid so that windowed screen is stored back, and my autoexec file was not removed. (may not be fit your case I guess... and just sharing my experience)

Hope your environment is back and running now.