Mission Editor, Install and use Static Templates

I have found several templates on the User File resource.  Once I download and Un-Zip the files, what do I do with the files?  Where are static template files stored? When I open the Load Templates from within the mission editor, there are no files in the list.

Screenshot-2022-02-08_14.47.35.png 

Custom templates are saved to\loaded from \Saved Games\DCS\StaticTemplate

Depending on the map, you may find default templates on the left side.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Great.  I got it working.  It seems that I had changed the folder name as StaticTemplates.  The folder name should have been StaticTemplate.  Interesting that one letter in the folder name was enough to foul up the works. 

Now that I am able to access the StaticTemplate list, I have another.  I just added one of the templates to two airports in the map, added a player flyable plane.  However, I cannot fly the edited map.  Is there something different in the map once a StaticTemplate is added?  How do I fly the map?

11 hours ago, Gpruitt54 said:

Interesting that one letter in the folder name was enough to foul up the works. 

Now that I am able to access the StaticTemplate list, I have another.  I just added one of the templates to two airports in the map, added a player flyable plane.  However, I cannot fly the edited map.  Is there something different in the map once a StaticTemplate is added?  How do I fly the map?

Stab in the dark. There is a possibility the template may use a Mod. If it does, you need that mod. As you are talking airports I will take a further leap and assume you are perhaps using @Rudel_chw's excellent creations.  In which case you will need the VPC airfield objects mod and its associated "fixes". 

If you are not you may still need a mod such as the Frenchpack (V4.8), SAM Asset pack (V1.8) and NATO personnel (for instance with the latest Syrian airfeild tempates posted).  All of those mods figure quite heavily in user created templates as frankly speaking the stock ED selection is so poor so as not to be worthwhile bothering with. Be aware DCS updates sometimes break Mods so things will stop working for time until either a further ED patch or, more likely a new version of that mod is produced. 

Always best to install any MOD using a manager like OvGME as it allows swapping in and out quickly and safely. 

BTW - if a program is set to look for a folder of a certain name- it wont second guess it. 

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

Actually, I have never used a mod manager with DCS.  I tried one with MSFS2020 and it was a real mess as the mod itself needed updating which caused all sorts of issues, on top of the mods themselves.

Regarding the mods needing other mods, I cannot say.  The descriptions of the StaticTemplates say nothing about other mods being required.

On 2/8/2022 at 11:56 PM, Gpruitt54 said:

How do I fly the map?

You don't 🙂 You fly the aircraft. Cannot start the mission? Upload here for us to test. Or just the template.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• 1 year later...

Quick question - is there any simple way to determine what mods are used in certain static template?

I have created some for my own personal use that I can load in ME but then I can't save mission or fly mission, which is usually a sign that some mod is missing.

Since these are *.smt files I can't use DCSNoMissionRequirements as it's only for *.miz files.

18 minutes ago, mkrasin said:

Quick question - is there any simple way to determine what mods are used in certain static template?

Not that I know of, the STM file does not include a list of Mods, like MIZ do.

18 minutes ago, mkrasin said:

I have created some for my own personal use that I can load in ME but then I can't save mission or fly mission, which is usually a sign that some mod is missing.

On my case, I realized early on that updating or modifying existing templates was hard to do with just the STM file, so I started to create my templates as MIZ files on a separate "Templates" Folder from my usual missions. Whenever I did an edit or improvement to the template, I did it on the MIZ file and the used "Save as Static template" to re-generate the Template, as well as saved the updated MIZ.

This way, today I still can attempt to load a template Mission, and the editor will tell me which Mods it uses:

Hy2i9pn.jpg

The editor used to refuse loading a Mission unless you had all User Mods needed, but nowadays there is no such safeguard and the ME will happily load the mission while discarding all modded objects, and if you have them hidden you might not notice that, then save the mission, and bam, you lost all your modded objects ... not good. So, at this point click cancel and make sure that you DO HAVE all required user Mods available, then the mission should load fine and you can edit it as needed:

uEWv6m8.jpg

👍

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Unexpected plot twist - actually it turns out that it is possible to check what mods are required for certain static template.

You need to open the *.stm file with the Notepad or any other text editor and after scrolling all the way down to the end of file you will be able to see the list of the required modules.

nullimage.png

In my particular case it didn't really help as all the mods listed in the *.stm file were the ones I was currently using so I must dig deeper.

Eventually, I managed to identify the issue by cross checking the items in the *.stm file with the items loaded with the static template on DCS side using View Unit List using Unit ID number.

image.png

As you can see Item no. 22 is missing on the DCS side, but it's still listed in the respective *.stm file.

image.png

After deleting item 22 I was able to load the template, save the mission and fly it with no issues. The downside is that this item should be considered lost.

I assume that item identified as ERO_MHU-141-Hellfire-1 that was part of the SAM Site Asset Pack was renamed or deleted in the most recent version for whatever reason.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mkrasin said:

Unexpected plot twist - actually it turns out that it is possible to check what mods are required for certain static template.

You need to open the *.stm file with the Notepad or any other text editor and after scrolling all the way down to the end of file you will be able to see the list of the required modules.

nullimage.png

Then it should be easy for ED to have a check when attempting to load a Static template, in the same way as it used to do for the MIZ files.

I wonder why they removed the safety check that prevented loading a mission unless you have the needed user Mods, as it stands now is a real trap ... looks like they want to discourage the employment of User Mods.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB