Elements such as TGP target diamond and CCIP pipper are displayed incorrectly on the HUD

ilpresidente

Hi there, maybe you have seen my last post on reddit.

TLDR: The issue seems to be about the projection of the elements on the HUD, not in the weapon itself or the computing system. The evidence is that also the TGP diamond is misaligned with the target on the ground.

- 00.20 : I'm targeting the tank, the pipper is slightly above the target, and the TGP designation diamond is top-left offset respect to the tank real position.

- 00:24 : you can see that from the TGP perspective the tank is nicely framed in the TGP display, unlike what's happening on the HUD (first cue that something is wrong) and from the HSI the POS source is AINS

- 00:29 : here I switch the POS Source from INS to GPS, after you can see how both TGP target and CCIP pipper are fixed. The CCIP pipper is now some feet below the target. Sounds familiar?

- 00:40 : back to INS again, the HUD symbols are again offset respect to the real

- 00:45: I drop the bomb and then switch again to GPS source. You can see that the bomb drops correctly on the pipper, meaning comes short the tank

- 01:20: after fixing the pipper position I actually manage to hit the target in POS/GPS

bignewy replied with "I have a report already in about temperature and how it is affecting free fall bombs". You'll know better but honestly does not really seems this the issue at all, for two reasons:

1) First of all, this issue includes the position of the TGP target diamond on the HUD

2) after I switch to POS/GPS the both the pipper  and the TGP target diamond position are fixed

So it is not just something related to the bomb balistics but primarily about the projection on the HUD.

Replicating the bug is very easy, sorry if a track is not included, these are other details:

- It's enough to put some targets on the ground, finding the targets with the TGP and switching to point or area track mode, and engaging them in A/G CCIP bombing mode

- I was spawned in the air near the target range few minutes before

- No wind, and it was post GPS 1

EDIT: I attached a trackfile to the last post here

Edited by ilpresidente
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Svend_Dellepude said:

INS is not working correctly. Just stick with GPS when possible. There is already a lengthy thread in here about the issue. search for INS + CCIP.

Ok, but most of what I've found are issues in a pre-GPS era, I'm using the GPS here via IFA.

• ED Team

Hi, 

It is always best to attach your track replay from the test so we can check to see what is going on. 

I believe I have this issue reported already, and it is a combination of issues creating the problem. 

There is an issue with slant range, pre gps INS, and temperature affecting free fall weapons. 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

21 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, 

It is always best to attach your track replay from the test so we can check to see what is going on. 

I believe I have this issue reported already, and it is a combination of issues creating the problem. 

There is an issue with slant range, pre gps INS, and temperature affecting free fall weapons. 

thanks

Ok I'll attach a track replay as soon as I can. Does these issues you listed should affect also the TGP diamond target position on the HUD?

It's post GPS

Edited by ilpresidente

• ED Team
2 minutes ago, ilpresidente said:

Ok I'll attach a track replay as soon as I can. Does these issues you listed should affect also the TGP diamond target position on the HUD?

It's post GPS

Yes, slant range will have an affect on the point on the ground. 

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Here's the track, I hope it is useful. Unfortunately is not as clear as the clip.

EDIT: the offset respect to the target should be visible, but it happens that it fixes itself while still in POS/AINS (you can see the moment while it correct itself), so switching back and forth from POS/GPS does not produce the same result as the clip attached.

ccip1.trk

Edited by ilpresidente

• ED Team
On 2/17/2022 at 5:15 PM, ilpresidente said:

Hi there, I still see the post flagged as "needs track" however, I've forward it in the last post. I "up" the thread in case you didn't see, thanks

thanks for the track.

• ED Team

I have marked this reported, I have some other issue reported in relation to bombing accuracy and it maybe related. 

Thank you