Rusty default skin design choices

Rasmus Højgaard

I’ve played dcs for quite some time now. But something i’ve always wondered about is why the hornet’s skin and interior is so rusty and scratched up.

i understand from an artistic standpoint that you want to make it believeable and get the impression the jet has been used. 
But why not give us an oportunity to select if we want a “from factory” design or a “beat up” like in the A10II

The hornet is one of my favourite planes in DCS, But the viper for me has hit a sweetspot in terms of the balance betweeen Busted and factory. There’s something about the interior/exterior of the Hornets skin i cant get my head around. 

Personally i use a couple of Hornet cockpit liveries including a clean one (ED gave us option to choose cockpits in DCS Special Options tab), and same with Hornet aircraft liveries (i have both weathered and clean), despite that I agree with you we could have a option to select weathered/clean.

• Like 1

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

You can always use cockpit liveries in multiplayer, as it only affects the client.

I use a custom one that I made for myself that adjusts the tint of the HUD glass and AoA indexer lights.

Edited by Tholozor
  • Like 1

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

3 hours ago, Rasmus Højgaard said:

I’ve played dcs for quite some time now. But something i’ve always wondered about is why the hornet’s skin and interior is so rusty and scratched up.

i understand from an artistic standpoint that you want to make it believeable and get the impression the jet has been used. 
But why not give us an oportunity to select if we want a “from factory” design or a “beat up” like in the A10II

The hornet is one of my favourite planes in DCS, But the viper for me has hit a sweetspot in terms of the balance betweeen Busted and factory. There’s something about the interior/exterior of the Hornets skin i cant get my head around. 

Navy jets don't ever look as clean as Air Force jets on the outside... That salt water does a REAL number on the airframes. 

• Like 1

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

On 2/16/2022 at 8:06 AM, wilbur81 said:

Navy jets don't ever look as clean as Air Force jets on the outside... That salt water does a REAL number on the airframes. 

Yes though even the RAAF default liveries are similarly rusty (and those jets never see the decks of an aircraft carrier). 

Right now the default Hornet liveries are kind of like when someone is making a plastic model and they go overboard with the weathering effects. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rasmus Højgaard said:

Hahaha, $80 is not bad for a rusty plane…….. in real life. 

Btw, installed your recommendation. It definitely shines it up a lot - thanks

True, $80 for a rusty plane isn't so bad. I'd pay a lot more than that for a ride in a real rusty Hornet.

• Like 1

Buzz