OAP Symbology

desertowl

2 hours ago, desertowl said:

Hello,

A quick comment / question about the latest mini update - Wags mentioned OA1 and 2 are marked as diamonds in the HUD. Shouldn't OAs appear as triangles?

Best,

Mk

Unless Wags went back and edited it (It doesn't say that he did), it says in the mini-update that they display as triangles.

• Like 1

Is there a good tactical use for an OAP without a DTC?

I know you can use them to radar map or TGP look at something off to the side of your flight plan, and then use that to update your GPS position in a GPS denial environment.... But I'm not sure what tactical use they would have in DCS.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Dances, PhD

Jet Hobo

https://v65th.wordpress.com/

For their original purpose you need the offset between the aimpoint and the target. I guess you could put a map marker on a JTAC or other target location then measure to a nearby map object as your aimpoint and offset. Then on run in refine the aim off that major map object. A lot of the utility of offset aiming is in refining the INS which goes away in a millimeter perfect GPS environment. Back in the 70s or 80s when drift could be thousands of feet and you were toss bombing an area target often several days in a row just to have a good chance of a hit it made more sense.

Apart from their original purpose OAPs and other offset marks can be used as marks in the sky to visually fly through when doing certain rapid precise maneuvers like pop up attacks or even air show maneuvers.

As interesting as the system is, without offboard targeting of the appropriate form and significant INS drift, it's not likely to be oft used.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As mentioned above, they can be used for pre-computed pop-up or high altitude bomb delivery. There is a software called WeaponsDeliveryPlanner which was originally made for that sim whose name shall not be uttered in this section, but it can be used just as well to calculate OA1, OA2, VRP and PUP for these bomb delivery modes in the DCS F-16.

Also, since we already have INS drift (and hopefully the FIX page soon enough) any scenario in DCS that takes place before 1994 doesn't have GPS support, these will be very useful if simulating a WWIII situation where GPS satellites would be destroyed or jammed, or if simply if simulating an old school scenario pretending you're in an older F-16 than you actually are. 😊

• Like 1

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

Ohhh.... A DCS version of the WDP would be awesome.  At least once we get the DTC (nudge, nudge... say no more, say no more, eh 😁 )

• Like 4

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog