Quest 2 Issues after recent Update

Lowlyslows

Hey all,

It's 20 March 2022: I have had zero issues with my quest 2 prior to the recent update last week. After playing for a bit, my quest 2 now becomes choppy. In order to correct, I have to hit the Oculus button on the right controller and go view a webpage or something other than DCS and that fixes it, for a bit. The problem will eventually come back.

Anyone else experience this since the recent update?

Yup same here I have to alt tab out of dcs then it fixes itself.  I do notice that system memory is pretty much maxed out at that time as well.  Also the gpu pegs at 100 percent usage when the fps halves.  So I remember this issue when the hind came out and seem to only have the issue with Apache, if I fly f16 no issues.

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

On 3/20/2022 at 7:05 PM, rcjonessnp175 said:

Yup same here I have to alt tab out of dcs then it fixes itself.  I do notice that system memory is pretty much maxed out at that time as well.  Also the gpu pegs at 100 percent usage when the fps halves.  So I remember this issue when the hind came out and seem to only have the issue with Apache, if I fly f16 no issues.

F16 for life! Sorry to hear I'm not the only one..

I have a Quest chopiness isue as well !

I have it since the last Quest firmware/driver update, are we talking about the same update ? I also have noticed a new option in ODT : Mobile ASW. I have no idea what's the difference with regular ASW

Since we are among Quest users, are you using steamVR or oculusVR option when launching DCS ? I have chosen OculusVR since it seems more straightforward to set up but I could be convinced otherwise. Are there some benefits you might  know of using SteamVR ?

Those with quest 2 issues, its possibly due to ODT settings. In my experience of using the quest for around 18months the software has come on leaps and bounds. After a long time of adjusting things (which we had to in the early days) I now have best performance and visuals leaving bitrate, resolution width, SS and ASW settings all at default (0). I set distortion curve to low and sharpening to enabled and these are saved. I uninstalled OTT as well. The experience is really good, sharp and smooth. I do reduce my FOV to 0.9 in both vertical and horizontal just to increase performance a bit while keeping the same settings, although this is a "kicker" rather than a necessity. 

Obviously I don't know what your settings are but choppy experience sounds like it could be a bitrate issue, I believe oculus controls this dynamically now so a fixed one (high or low) could be bad.

Edited by Hoirtel

3 hours ago, Hoirtel said:

Obviously I don't know what your settings are but choppy experience sounds like it could be a bitrate issue, I believe oculus controls this dynamically now so a fixed one (high or low) could be bad.

You are right, maybe it's time for default settings experience ! 

On 4/3/2022 at 9:24 PM, pixie said:

well... no luck after defaulting ODT, I even tried to reinstall Oculus desktop app.

I'm not sure what went wrong in the last few weeks, maybe the last quest2 firmware update ?

Not sure, but Q2 is working better than ever for me at the moment. 

On 4/10/2022 at 4:15 PM, pixie said:

Stable release seems to have improved things, Having a proper VR experience is quite a challenge. One false move and you're done ^^

Problem is there are lots of "legacy" Q2 tweaks that don't really reflect the current status of the software. I think people go overboard and also incorperate too many WMR and SteamVR information. I have heard of several people runing oculus gear in DCS through steam vr too. Its actually now the most simple headset to set up in DCS, and I think works + looks great.

On 4/12/2022 at 10:31 AM, Hoirtel said:

Problem is there are lots of "legacy" Q2 tweaks that don't really reflect the current status of the software. I think people go overboard and also incorperate too many WMR and SteamVR information. I have heard of several people runing oculus gear in DCS through steam vr too. Its actually now the most simple headset to set up in DCS, and I think works + looks great.

I can only concur with @Hoirtel on the improvements made lately by Oculus. I can enjoy VR with my Quest2 even though my rig is a gaming laptop with rtx2060. (and of course I'm staying far far away from SteamVR!)

Edited by diamond26

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

FWIW , I avoid SteamVR, so far I have better performance using OculusVR. I also think the settings are more straightforward. Everything is on default on OculusVR parameters, then I tweak  DSC settings to my likings

• 2 months later...

I'm still running into the same issue. Doesn't appear to be a problem when using my Rift, but only the Quest 2. 

I'll be getting a solid 120 fps and suddenly... POOF... it's like my display is hanging on frames. The game and PC say I'm still getting a great FPS, but the view in the headset just hangs on frames. Free memory goes from 200-300MB to 0-10MB. I've been told this is what a memory leak looks like. 

The Quest 2 is unusable, and my performance seems great until it just runs out of memory. I've tried about everything under the sun and every combination of graphics settings in-game, as well as in my nvidia control panel. 

Only with DCS which makes me think it isn't an Oculus issue.