George AI not holding altitude having hard time with collective

brran

I've been trying to complete the syria scud mission. With the default loadout I take off and head to the target area. the helicopter is heavy but I'm at about 80% tq at 500-700 feet get to a hover and switch seats to CPG and George is unable to hold the altitude and hover. The helicopter slowly drops until George enters ground effect or sometimes just hits the ground. If George gets into a ge hover GE can't get out of it. 

Edited by brran
Typo

• ED Team

Hi, 

can you try the runway start instant action mission and show us an example, you can save a track replay when you exit the mission, we can take a look at it then and give any tips or look for errors. 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

Hi 

in the track I see you switch to the front seat then order george to reduce speed, but I did not notice you give him a command for setting altitude. He is left in a slow descent until he reaches ground effect. 

Try setting his speed and altitude once you switch seats to see if it helps. 

We do have more tweaks coming for George AI so thank you for the report

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm experiencing the same issue; George runs us into the ground on the Syria mission. A google search turns up this post, I read it a go hmmm ok, now how do you set GAI speed/altitude? Then another google search turns up a vid from Wags saying you have to long press forward (the W key??). Hop back in and long press the W key and GAI does something completely new and says something like "copy realigning" then proceeds to run us into the ground again LOL.. I give up.. OK so that must be wrong..

SO.. Bignewy how do you change GAI altitude? thx

Meshify C w Noctua Fans, MSI Carbon Z790, 13900KS, 64gb 7200 Gskill, MSI 4090, MSI 240, Sam 1tb m2, Sam 512 m2, Seasonic 1000w, MSFF2 Stick + X56 Throttle, HP Reverb G2, Sony 83in A90J OLED

11 minutes ago, Delta59R said:

I'm experiencing the same issue; George runs us into the ground on the Syria mission. A google search turns up this post, I read it a go hmmm ok, now how do you set GAI speed/altitude? Then another google search turns up a vid from Wags saying you have to long press forward (the W key??). Hop back in and long press the W key and GAI does something completely new and says something like "copy realigning" then proceeds to run us into the ground again LOL.. I give up.. OK so that must be wrong..

SO.. Bignewy how do you change GAI altitude? thx

You may have been in the wrong mode as each mode changes what George does and its easy to get into the wrong mode as it use short left to change it, you would need to be in FLT mode and long press up (W key)

The way the interface for George works is the issue I think and a change would help out every one, if they had made the change so George mode was on a separate key to WASD and just kept the short/long presses for telling him what to do as far as going left and right and up and down it would stop us entering the wrong mode, many a time I have been in FLT mode and hit short L for designate turn when looking left as that is where I wanted to go buts its short R for going left or right in that mode, its a bit confusing and could be easily fixed.

Thx Hotdog, I just figured it out but it's still bugged

- from syria mission landing pad elv is about 1000ft and GAI is set around 1500ft but when you tell him to up/foward he says ok but does nothing

- if you short press W the alt will increases by 10ft per press, but it's not until around 1700 ft that GAI will lift off into hover about 10ft off ground

-if you continue to short press W, say to 2000ft, he still stays at about 10ft off ground

-unrelated issue but also with Syria, during cheat engine start the right engine always fails and must be manually started

Meshify C w Noctua Fans, MSI Carbon Z790, 13900KS, 64gb 7200 Gskill, MSI 4090, MSI 240, Sam 1tb m2, Sam 512 m2, Seasonic 1000w, MSFF2 Stick + X56 Throttle, HP Reverb G2, Sony 83in A90J OLED

17 minutes ago, Delta59R said:

Thx Hotdog, I just figured it out but it's still bugged

- from syria mission landing pad elv is about 1000ft and GAI is set around 1500ft but when you tell him to up/foward he says ok but does nothing

- if you short press W the alt will increases by 10ft per press, but it's not until around 1700 ft that GAI will lift off into hover about 10ft off ground

-if you continue to short press W, say to 2000ft, he still stays at about 10ft off ground

-unrelated issue but also with Syria, during cheat engine start the right engine always fails and must be manually started

Bear in mind that GAI only executes the change when you stop setting the command. I'm guessing you're in H-B mode, Yes, each tap UP commands him to climb another 10ft, but if you chain a lot of those UP commands together then it just chains together. GAI won't acknowledge or begin to comply until you've stopped for a second or two. He'll then acknowledge and climb. If you start to give him more climb commands he appears to pause to see where you decide you want him to go, so he stops climbing until you stop inputting the command for a second or two again. In FLT mode his commands chain together more fluidly in my experience.

It makes sense. In H-B you might be hiding behind a hill. If you suddenly decide you don't want to climb to 1000ft because you'll be exposed you could find yourself in danger by the time you've scrolled back to the altitude you want. Better that he pauses and waits for the new command than keep climbing into danger.

That's my experience with it anyway.

1 hour ago, frostycab said:

Bear in mind that GAI only executes the change when you stop setting the command. I'm guessing you're in H-B mode, Yes, each tap UP commands him to climb another 10ft, but if you chain a lot of those UP commands together then it just chains together. GAI won't acknowledge or begin to comply until you've stopped for a second or two. He'll then acknowledge and climb. If you start to give him more climb commands he appears to pause to see where you decide you want him to go, so he stops climbing until you stop inputting the command for a second or two again. In FLT mode his commands chain together more fluidly in my experience.

It makes sense. In H-B you might be hiding behind a hill. If you suddenly decide you don't want to climb to 1000ft because you'll be exposed you could find yourself in danger by the time you've scrolled back to the altitude you want. Better that he pauses and waits for the new command than keep climbing into danger.

That's my experience with it anyway.

Yep, works like a charm in a rando mission i created but not in the syrian one. Plz try it for yourself and report back, I'm curious if others have the same issue in that mission.