OB 2.7.11.22211 - Hornet A2A Radar lock does not undesignate (updated)

StixxAus

A locked air target cannot be undesignated.

Lock and track air target in either RWS or TWS and/or STT
Bug will not undesignate, HUD symbology maintains tracked target, radar keeps target bugged.
You can select next target but not undesignate them, only cycle through.

You have to manually move bug to new air space outside of scan to undesignate or move aircraft outside of gimbal limit of the radar.

Tested in Stable and targets can be undesignated.
No mods installed and using the same joystick profiles on both OB and Stable.

Edited by StixxAus

Press RSET on the right side of the attack format to clear the L&S target. The NWS/Undesignate button will step the L&S target through ranked track files if not in STT, this is by design.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

Just to clarify what StixxAus is saying, the issue is the STT not un-designating. Even when the radar target has been destroyed, the lock remains on a non-existent target irrespective.

Thanks for the input Tholozor but there has been a miscommunication here; can confirm not being able to 'unlock' a radar contact is certainly not by design.

Thanks!

Edited by AusGoose
Spelling
  • Like 3

• StixxAus changed the title to OB 2.7.11.22211 - Hornet A2A Radar lock does not undesignate (updated)
On 4/3/2022 at 1:49 AM, AusGoose said:

Thanks for the input Tholozor but there has been a miscommunication here; can confirm not being able to 'unlock' a radar contact is certainly not by design.

The original report did not mention STT before it was edited, leading to the misunderstanding. Without a track to watch I had to take it at face value.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

I'm not seeing any issue, although I'm on the latest OB, I've never noticed an issue with this in previous versions which is now the current stable.

Note that "lock" very specifically means to be in STT, nothing else (there is no "soft lock" or "hard lock" it's a community misnomer). What most say is a a "soft lock" is just a designation (L&S) and the undesignate switch while certainly a little bit confusing, doesn't actually remove designations, it steps through them (If no L&S exists, create one on the priority track; if an L&S exists: step to the next priority track; if both L&S and DT2 exist: step between them.)

Undesignate should return to search when actuated during STT, STT RAID, Spotlight, AACQ or ACM -- in all other modes (RWS, VS, TWS, TWS SCAN RAID) it should step through track files.

• Like 2

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

• ED Team

The team and I have tried to reproduce but have been unable. 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On 4/1/2022 at 4:48 AM, StixxAus said:

A locked air target cannot be undesignated.

Lock and track air target in either RWS or TWS and/or STT
Bug will not undesignate, HUD symbology maintains tracked target, radar keeps target bugged.
You can select next target but not undesignate them, only cycle through.

You have to manually move bug to new air space outside of scan to undesignate or move aircraft outside of gimbal limit of the radar.

Tested in Stable and targets can be undesignated.
No mods installed and using the same joystick profiles on both OB and Stable.

When you are in the TWS, the only way to solve the target is the OSB reset button. Or scan somewhere else, but this creates other "uglinesses"
Whether this is so in the real F18 I do not know,

In general, however, this is a very unattractive solution.

I came to see if others were having this issue as well and it looks like I'm definitely not alone.

I can not believe ED says they can not reproduce this issue.  It happens to me every time on the GS server.  Destroyed bandits will sometimes remained locked even after the bandit has crashed into the mountains.  Breaking lock is impossible unless I cycle ACM modes.  Undesignate will not break the lock of the destroyed target.  

It is random, but it definitely happens.  A new bug since 2022.  NEVER had this issue on previous F-18 patches.  

On 4/15/2022 at 7:28 AM, StixxAus said:

A fresh reinstall of DCS + modules has resolved the issue for me.
I had no 'mods' installed and it was occurring in stable and open beta (before it went stable).

okay and with which funtkion do you drop the lock now?

Both in TWS or RWS, which button do they use there?

15 minutes ago, Tholozor said:

Press RSET.

yes I know as I have also written above.

Because above he also writes something about NWS/Undesignate. which did not work.

Now I just wanted to know again exactly what did not work before and now works again.
That does not go out from his previous  texts namely exactly

Edited by Hobel