Speed >0 on IHADSS Hover Symbology when stationary

Belphe

Hi,

Is there a way to reset/re-centre the hover mode speed indicator on the IHADSS? I noticed that after some flying/manoeuvring going back to hover mode and actually landing will display speeds greater than 0 which is obviously incorrect for a stationary helicopter. Is this buggy or realistic and if the latter, can this be reset?

Thanks!

Never say never, Baby!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have never been able to get the thing to stabilize in a 0 speed hover lol. 

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

At the moment the Inertial Navigation Units (which drive the symbology) drift over time. This is realistic (although you could argue they drift quite fast for a 2005 era INS). This drift can create errors in both the position and velocity reported.  What isn't yet modelled it seems is that the GPS and the doppler should be helping keep the INS from drifting. The doppler in particular should be able to report zero groundspeed to the INUs and help them get back on track (so to speak).  It's bug reported and I guess will be fixed. In the meantime the workround is to re-set one INU and then switch to using that while you re-set the other one. This is done via the TSB UTIL page.

• Thanks 1

EGI (or Doppler) should Kalman filter those velocities down quite a bit. An INS update with weight on wheels I think might zero velocity update. A pure INS machine will have velocity errors naturally. Perhaps the methods of updating those velocity corrections (EGI, Doppler, manual updates) are yet to be implemented.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Frederf said:

EGI (or Doppler) should Kalman filter those velocities down quite a bit. An INS update with weight on wheels I think might zero velocity update. A pure INS machine will have velocity errors naturally. Perhaps the methods of updating those velocity corrections (EGI, Doppler, manual updates) are yet to be implemented.

Yep, they are definitely not implemented. You can toggle the doppler on after a few hours flying with significant velocity errors and nothing happens at all. 

15 hours ago, dburne said:

I have never been able to get the thing to stabilize in a 0 speed hover lol. 

Might need to add some more curves to your stick, once you are comfortable you can reduce it.  Coming from the Harrier, I find it to be tougher to hover around vs the Apache.  The Apache feels more stable, less floaty and twitchy, and also no need to pay attention to water consumption.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

2 hours ago, Supmua said:

Might need to add some more curves to your stick, once you are comfortable you can reduce it.  Coming from the Harrier, I find it to be tougher to hover around vs the Apache.  The Apache feels more stable, less floaty and twitchy, and also no need to pay attention to water consumption.

I think you got a better Apache than I did...

🤣

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|