Roger beep

Martinbulldog

Radio sound effects are planned, but not sure when they'll be coming.

See the last page of this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 10 months later...
Am 28.4.2022 um 22:02 schrieb Northstar98:

Radio sound effects are planned, but not sure when they'll be coming.

See the last page of this.

Planned doesn't really help. This was the killer for Voice Chat in our group. No way to know, if you receive a transmission, if the transmission ended, etc.  We need a simple Soundfile that plays when PTT is pressed and when it's released. Without this little auditory feedback it is almost unusable. I can wait for the radio effects and other fancy stuff, but this one is essential.

• Like 4

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

• 4 weeks later...

No one using it that I know off the lack of development or needed features has meant its not being used, with SRS and DIscord still being used heavily, and I agree a RGR beep should have been implemented right from the start to aid in its take up by squads.

9 hours ago, Atazar SPN said:

There is no beep in real life. Here is a full audio of the military communications. SRS sound simulates ambient noise picked up by the transmitter before transmission.

Do you hear that? That's what we are referring to. I don't care what causes it but there clearly is a cue. 

Edited by BarTzi

It doesn't matter if a rgr beep isn't in real life, the DCS comms needs some thing to distinguish the comms has finished, nearly every squad/group uses both Discord and SRS and there is noticeable difference between the 2 when using them so you can tell what the voice chat is from and work out what's what, if you used Discord and DCS comms there is no difference and you cant tell if its general chat in Discord or a call over the modules radio, and that is why NO one uses it.

16 minutes ago, Hotdognz said:

It doesn't matter if a rgr beep isn't in real life, the DCS comms needs some thing to distinguish the comms has finished, nearly every squad/group uses both Discord and SRS and there is noticeable difference between the 2 when using them so you can tell what the voice chat is from and work out what's what, if you used Discord and DCS comms there is no difference and you cant tell if its general chat in Discord or a call over the modules radio, and that is why NO one uses it.

AFAIK, from my own experience there's a cue. Not sure if all radios have it or if it's the same for all of them - but it's noticeable (again, the reason we hear a cue does not matter). At its current state, it should definitely be added to the game. In fact, there should be multiple options for a Roger beep, to satisfy everyone (some people might not want to use it after all).

I can also say that we don't use the built-in voip because of that.

Edited by BarTzi

9 hours ago, Atazar SPN said:

There is no beep in real life.

There is if the radio circuitry supports the "courtesy-" or "roger beep". It's not common in civil nor military aviation, but those of us who remember STS-1 will for ever remember Young and Crippen's voices, followed by the beep when they ended their transmission. I wanted to have such circuitry added to my radios, but - at the time - the high cost for adding it, plus another certification of the hardware (regulators need to make money I guess) stopped me. 

4 hours ago, Atazar SPN said:

That's not a beep. I repeat, it is the capture of the ambient noise of the transmitter when pressing to start the transmission. If on other occasions you have tied yourself to realism to reject some modifications such as dirt and scratches on the cockpit, now you must also respect that there is no beep in real life.

And now I tell you what you told me. A mod can be created.

First of all, I used radios in real life that have the function. Now as for mods, we can't mod this part of the game yet. This is why I asked ED to add this as an option. I didn't tie myself to realism. If you want a different cockpit texture just make one yourself. Please, do not derail this thread, thanks!

Edited by BarTzi

I'm a class 1 radio operator and I have only ever heard a roger beep on civvy radios - CB in fact. Most people disliked it, it was a fad that didn't last long (though there were always people who persisted with it).

I've never heard a military set that uses a roger beep.

Asking for one is one thing, insisting it's realistic is quite another. Personally, if it were forced on us, I'd delete it from the sim. Proper voice procedure doesn't require any kind of 'signal'.

Edited by Johnny Dioxin
spellling
  • Like 1

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

• 4 weeks later...
Am 10.4.2023 um 18:44 schrieb Atazar SPN:

That's not a beep. I repeat, it is the capture of the ambient noise of the transmitter when pressing to start the transmission. If on other occasions you have tied yourself to realism to reject some modifications such as dirt and scratches on the cockpit, now you must also respect that there is no beep in real life.

And now I tell you what you told me. A mod can be created.

In real life there's an audible click/hiss/crack/beep/feep/bleep... whatever, when the squelch threshold opens and closes. A sound that is audible, whenever the radio transmits and even when the pilot simply presses the PTT. There was even a common practice in real live to simply acknowledge a transmission, by quickly giving two clicks with the PTT switch.

If I am not mistaken the encrypted (digital) radios even use a signalling sound to indicate the channel is secure... That's what people refer to as a the "beep" or "click" that's needed. And that's pretty much what real life radios do.😎

Edited by shagrat
  • Like 2

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

vor 31 Minuten schrieb Atazar SPN:

I repeat, it is not a beep. I have shown you several examples of actual military communications. What you are hearing is ambient noise picked up by the transmitter prior to transmission. Ask for that effect and I'll agree. If it asks for a beep, I'm sorry but it's not right. I hope you don't send me more private messages behaving like experienced military men trying to impose a hierarchy within a flying community. 😃

It's a "click", the "beep" is on a digital radio with encryption.

Edit: private message? I may get Alzheimer's 🤔

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

vor 44 Minuten schrieb Atazar SPN:

What you are hearing is ambient noise picked up by the transmitter prior to transmission.

Actually it's the PTT button disabling the squelch filter and static coming through, as the gain opens, until the voice triggers the ducking, but yep, that's the effect we need.

• Like 1

Shagrat

• 5 months later...
On 4/10/2023 at 6:56 PM, cfrag said:

There is if the radio circuitry supports the "courtesy-" or "roger beep". It's not common in civil nor military aviation, but those of us who remember STS-1 will for ever remember Young and Crippen's voices, followed by the beep when they ended their transmission. I wanted to have such circuitry added to my radios, but - at the time - the high cost for adding it, plus another certification of the hardware (regulators need to make money I guess) stopped me. 

The beep you heard on Apollo and early shuttle missions was called a Quindar Tone

You heard it at the start and end of a transmission from Mission Control. The tone was used as an analog method to key the transmitter that was sending the signal to the spacecraft into transmit, with a tone after the transmission to reset the transmitter back into receive mode.

You wouldn't hear any tones when the astronauts transmitted from their spacecraft.

The tone wasn't used as a way of making clear that a transmission had ended like people like to use on ham radio these days, it was just a way of keying a remote transmitter.

Edited by Se1ko
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Btw. it has been added in DCS 2.9

Thanks ED. 🥰

• Like 1

Shagrat