How to do the Rambo?

Belphe

Hi,

I need some help regarding operation procedures on the battlefield. Imagine a situation where your Ka-50 is left only with rockets and gun pods (mainly - unguided weapons) and there is a beautiful U.S. Military Truck Convoy on the horizon. Although I still follow my route to the next waypoint WITH PITCH, BANK AND HEADING AUTOPOILOTS ENGAGED I already know I will need to alter my course and perform a few sharp turns and dives: generally, I will "dance" with the enemy, perhaps have a little fun :P but most importantly, I will need to change the flight direction quite a few times to put the target in my sights!

My question is: should I disable all the 3 above mentioned APs? A mean, I tried manouvering towards the targets with APs on and every time, even trimming like crazy, I was still fighting the helo... My baby becomes stubborn and rough when ridden without the APs but it's even harder to fly off-course with them switched on! Please, tell me what your secrets are to fly the chopper as John Rambo (and that other actor in the Russian stylized Puma [i believe it was Puma, right?] did when chasing each other in Rambo II? :pilotfly: Hi hi hi...:lol:

Thanks!:thumbup:

Never say never, Baby!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi,

I need some help regarding operation procedures on the battlefield. Imagine a situation where your Ka-50 is left only with rockets and gun pods (mainly - unguided weapons) and there is a beautiful U.S. Military Truck Convoy on the horizon. Although I still follow my route to the next waypoint WITH PITCH, BANK AND HEADING AUTOPOILOTS ENGAGED I already know I will need to alter my course and perform a few sharp turns and dives: generally, I will "dance" with the enemy, perhaps have a little fun :P but most importantly, I will need to change the flight direction quite a few times to put the target in my sights!

My question is: should I disable all the 3 above mentioned APs? A mean, I tried manouvering towards the targets with APs on and every time, even trimming like crazy, I was still fighting the helo... My baby becomes stubborn and rough when ridden without the APs but it's even harder to fly off-course with them switched on! Please, tell me what your secrets are to fly the chopper as John Rambo (and that other actor in the Russian stylized Puma [i believe it was Puma, right?] did when chasing each other in Rambo II? :pilotfly: Hi hi hi...:lol:

Thanks!:thumbup:

I think you can't fly like Rambo with real flight model. With easy flight model you can do pretty crazy stuff. :)

btw. What is Puma ?

Callsign Lycanthrope79

if you choose to do so, just map the trim button and keep it held until you are done Ramboing,lol

If the trim button is pushed it should allow free movement until the button is released. remeber you do not want to fight the control but to actually guide the controls. At least that is how I do it and how I understand the way the trim and auto pilot works.

Bullet

I7 4790K running at 4390 with a gigabyte board with 16 gigs of ram with an Asus gtx 660-ti and 2 tb of hard drive space on 2 wd hard drives. A X-65F Hotas with trackir4 and pro combat peddles. A kick butt home built machine unfortunately running a windows 7 OS.

And of course you can fly like in the movie Rambo II, it was a real helicopter doing those maneuvers. (mostly)

My guess would have been that they flyed with real chopper, but they took different scenes and angles and combined them to look like they actually manouver like that. :)

If it was real deal. Then points to pilot. Must have been some top class veteran. ;)

If i try to do long lasting manouvers that requires lot's of trimming. I always end up crashing. The movements gets very exaggarated if you trim too long.

Edited by RapidFir3

Callsign Lycanthrope79

Ok if you want to do it the way it is meant to be then don't turn those little blue buttons off......You will be in serious trouble from your superiors if you disengage those without an emergency situation requiring it.

Or you could flip them the bird and turn them off anyway.

If you are like me and at this point in time not really interested in doing things properly but are more interested in really flying without any bothersome computers or un-fun regulations dictating what you should be doing then turn them off.

In fact I turn them off before I do anything else. It is a rare event if I turn them on.

The first mission in the russian version where you attack the US convoys is my favorite. Start mission, disengage AP's, emergency hi speed descent, arm cannon, terrain follow at 2 meters at max velocity, crest the hill and engage point blank as you fly over them. Aim with rudders and stick only.

I tend to usualy die by the second convoy with the 3 abrams tanks but to me it is way more fun then hanging back miles, very unsporting chaps!

This is the rambo you talk about and it is much fun:thumbup:

i9-9900K,Z390 Aorus Master, 32GB GSkill Trident F4-3600 DDR4, ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti, Oculus Rift S. Thrustmaster Warthog T&S, TPR Pedals.

Well I leave the 3 autopilots on all the time as recommended a lot of times already ... so either you use the method of holding the trim down all the time or use the flight director mode. works pretty good... since turning off will be just a substitude from fighting the autopilot into fighting the helicopter =) what you are looking for (or should be looking for)

is a state where your autopilot still stabilizes your helicopter, but doesnt take control over it! So it is either flight director or hold down trimmer =)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

F-14 Tomcat

Rest in Peace

(and hopefully get reborn in DCS!)

(Dream came true about 10 years later, now the Apache please :lol:)

I was expecting the rotors strike at any moment.. hehehe.

Not very sane to do the rambo with the Ka-50, two rotors too close, you have to be very careful with pitch+speed+maneuvering.

edit to add: you were doing good until you lost one engine=> rotor rpm drop=> more flapping in the backward blade=>rotor strike.

Regards

Aser

Edited by Aser

AW-139 Pilot

That's exactly what I'm talking about! :D How was the helo flown? Trim held down all the time?

Like the previous posters have said. Either with Flight Director mode on on, or with the trimbutton just held in all the time....either that or he's just playing in the kiddie games mode....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

Hey wow I was actually looking back thru the posts for how to do camera modes and I saw the extra responses in this thread and I must say Slayer that you are wrong on all counts.

It's full sim mode, no trim, no AP's of any kind. You see 'em get switched off at the start.

Heh I s'pose I should take that as a compliment to have people think that was in arcade mode, thanks :)

i9-9900K,Z390 Aorus Master, 32GB GSkill Trident F4-3600 DDR4, ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti, Oculus Rift S. Thrustmaster Warthog T&S, TPR Pedals.

BTW that was the first time I have uploaded a vid to u-tube so the quality is really "meh", that was rushed thru on and off during the day for a response to this thread so I am thinking of "producing" it again but better quality in res and composition.

Also please note, that is from a single trac that was just fraps'ed 4 times to get the camera angles (Inside, outside, flybye and rear) but is in essence the entire sequence just edited for camera engles.

My apologies, that is some good flying :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

hehe no worries slayer. Lucky it is a sim as I have died hundreds of times learning to fly like an idiot with many many "bad habbits" :)