OT: Devotion - official teaser trailer

YoYo

Small OT. Korea and Korean War Hero: Corsair (F4U-4). THIS October (28th). 

This will be a good date for the module's release. :wavetowel:

Edited by YoYo
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Just saw this myself, had no idea such a movie was coming out!

Not to knock other recent WW2 movies, but some of them look a little "cheap", a little too "that CGI look", and maybe some wooden acting. 

To my eyes, this looks to surpass those, with good acting, really nice visuals, and maybe some attention to details!

Besides, how can you dislike a movie about Korea? 

And featuring the Corsair front and center?!?!

Based on a true story, no less. Top Gun 1950's Edition?

Yea, I'm in! 

Edited by Rick50
  • Like 3

Yeah look good. Some months ago i listend to an audio book about the air war in korea and was surprised how much the Corsairs did the first 6 months of the war. Apparently the ground troops loved the marines and their cosairs. For the USAF pilots hadn't trained much in close air suport bombing and many just flown jets in recent times.

While the marines had flown the Corsairs continously since ww2 and has also continued to train and practice with CAS bombing all that time. Apparently they could put a 500lb bomb just exactly where they wanted them to.

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

I hadn't realised that, but it makes perfect sense to me!!  Training and experience doing, count for SOOO much for CAS, and makes sense that the Marines would focus so much on doing so... I mean, it's not like Marines in WW2 had anyplace to retreat to... "well, we COULD run back to the beach, but then what?". Bring on the arty, bring on the CAS, bring on the ship bombardments, the only option is to take the whole island. 

Reminds me of some things I recently read about the Vietnam air war, apparently the USAF's fighter pilots were not especially well prepared for accurate AG bombing, CAS and such, at the beggining of the conflict, because pre-war training was focused so much on bomber intercept and offensive nuclear strike using the fighters as bombers... dogfighting, CAS whatz all that?

No, i'm not suggesting poor piloting, but rather that when priorities are assigned by the top leadership, training focuses on the priorities assigned, and so sometimes other skills might fall out of regular intense training curiculum... and while people imagine that in hard times they'll rise to the occasions, the reality is that usually they'll fall back to the level of their training... and if they hadn't been trained for that particular situation... well things start to get dicey indeed! Or as the Brits like to say "it all went a bit pear shaped"!

I'll bet the tough as nails radial engine, made the Corsair much tougher during CAS straffing runs than say a beautiful sleek Sabrejet... 

More I think of this trailer, the more I look forward to it!  

I'm reminded of the recent movie "Midway" from 2019 (not the 1976)... not sure of the historical accuracy but on the surface it seemed decent to me (I'm no Pacific war expert, not even close). The action was pretty good, many good actors doing decent work, and some of the graphics were pretty good... but at certain times it stumbled a bit here and there, and then it did something great, and then it stumbled a bit, and another great scene.  This "Devotion" movie, at least the trailer anyway, seems to have no stumbling... everything to me points to a great movie that will make you forget you are watching people "pretending" to be, and just draw you into the conflict of so long ago.

1 hour ago, Gunfreak said:

Yeah look good. Some months ago i listend to an audio book about the air war in korea and...

Do you remember the title?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rick50 said:

I hadn't realised that, but it makes perfect sense to me!!  Training and experience doing, count for SOOO much for CAS, and makes sense that the Marines would focus so much on doing so... I mean, it's not like Marines in WW2 had anyplace to retreat to... "well, we COULD run back to the beach, but then what?". Bring on the arty, bring on the CAS, bring on the ship bombardments, the only option is to take the whole island. 

Reminds me of some things I recently read about the Vietnam air war, apparently the USAF's fighter pilots were not especially well prepared for accurate AG bombing, CAS and such, at the beggining of the conflict, because pre-war training was focused so much on bomber intercept and offensive nuclear strike using the fighters as bombers... dogfighting, CAS whatz all that?

No, i'm not suggesting poor piloting, but rather that when priorities are assigned by the top leadership, training focuses on the priorities assigned, and so sometimes other skills might fall out of regular intense training curiculum... and while people imagine that in hard times they'll rise to the occasions, the reality is that usually they'll fall back to the level of their training... and if they hadn't been trained for that particular situation... well things start to get dicey indeed! Or as the Brits like to say "it all went a bit pear shaped"!

I'll bet the tough as nails radial engine, made the Corsair much tougher during CAS straffing runs than say a beautiful sleek Sabrejet... 

More I think of this trailer, the more I look forward to it!  

I'm reminded of the recent movie "Midway" from 2019 (not the 1976)... not sure of the historical accuracy but on the surface it seemed decent to me (I'm no Pacific war expert, not even close). The action was pretty good, many good actors doing decent work, and some of the graphics were pretty good... but at certain times it stumbled a bit here and there, and then it did something great, and then it stumbled a bit, and another great scene.  This "Devotion" movie, at least the trailer anyway, seems to have no stumbling... everything to me points to a great movie that will make you forget you are watching people "pretending" to be, and just draw you into the conflict of so long ago.

Do you remember the title?

https://www.amazon.com/MiG-Alley-Force-Korea-1950-53/dp/1472836081

I liked it, it is quite a revisionist work. It does try(successfully I feel) to puncture a few holy cows. Particularly the airforce as a entity and the leader of those. But it uses US, Soviet, North Korean and Chinese sources. 

• Thanks 1

So Magintude,

+1 for F4U-4 as addon for this module, maybe later? Even payware! 😍

2014-F4U4-1-LR.jpg

• Like 1

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

• 1 month later...
On 5/27/2022 at 1:47 AM, Gunfreak said:

https://www.amazon.com/MiG-Alley-Force-Korea-1950-53/dp/1472836081

I liked it, it is quite a revisionist work. It does try(successfully I feel) to puncture a few holy cows. Particularly the airforce as a entity and the leader of those. But it uses US, Soviet, North Korean and Chinese sources. 

A fresh look, and alternate points of view are themselves important if anyone wants to do a proper and intellectually honest assessment of something of importance.

In rare occasions, your opponent may see something about your own organisation that you don't see because you are too close to see it.

When the subject is wars past present and future, national security and similar, its very important to look at as many sources and points of view... lives in future could be affected, even from lessons learned or ignored even from wars of the distant past. The equipment may be newer, but lots of soldiers will still watch "A Bridge Too Far" for the 9th time.  

• 6 months later...

Just saw Devotion for the first time.  Outstanding movie.  We need the ETA Magnitude! Another unique thing to add, ED confirmed a Korea Map is coming along with the Vietnam map at some point.  Looks like we will have room for your Whistling Death and the Skyraider that is coming as well.  Any status updates you can give us on release?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Devil 505 said:

Just saw Devotion for the first time.  Outstanding movie.  We need the ETA Magnitude! Another unique thing to add, ED confirmed a Korea Map is coming along with the Vietnam map at some point.  Looks like we will have room for your Whistling Death and the Skyraider that is coming as well.  Any status updates you can give us on release?

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/185892-anybody-have-updates-on-the-development-of-the-f4u-corsair/?do=findComment&comment=5128666

• Like 1

• 2 months later...