Help with controls

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

Background first.

I have DCS World through steam.  I have a HP Reverb G2.  I have a Thrustmaster Warthog and TPR mounted on a MonsterTech flight stand.  I fly in VR and not Steam VR.  All 3 controls are calibrated.  All 3 appear fine inside DCS when in the control setup,

Issues

When flying the F-16 and taxing, I have issues with the following.

1. The aircraft won't move unless I throttle very high (over 90%)
  2. Engaging the toe breaks does not stop the aircraft fully
  3. Reducing throttle to idle with toe break does not stop the aircraft
  4. When flying, the aircraft tends to roll with and without trim

I checked the axis and see no fluctuations and thus do not set dead zones.  The issue does not appear while in my A-10C II or my P-51.

Also after I set the controls, the settings will switch to either different key binds or be removed.  This happens in all modules.  Some more than others.  Example: P-51 I bind my rudder trim to the China hat.  Come back and it is set to another binding or is gone.

I am at my wits end.  I have tried so many things and am at a loss.  Please help.

Do you use any external TM's app for controls?

Use Rctrl+Enter to check controls vs the actions in game.

Make sure pushing the breaks is maxing out the breaking pressure (both indicators go up). Compare with default both wheel break key. When pedals are not pushed there should be no indication. Reverse the axis when needed.

Make sure the axes are bound only to one action on one device in the controls.

Always click OK, after changing bindings.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

HI. Some ideas...

1 2 & 3 Be sure no parking brake is enabled. I don't think that is the trick, just to be sure. Also, be sure the brake axels are not reversed.

4  Try a full unloaded plane, with  no external loads. Tge TGP tends to unbalance the plane and make it bank to the right. Dificult to trim, BTW.

Double check there are no doubled inputs; Save actual profiles, clean completelly all axel bindings and re assign the flight surfaces and toe brakes.

Hope that helps.Saludos.

Saca111

3 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

What the others said, pluss make sure throttle and toe brakes are set as sliders in the axis tuning. 

Cheers! 

Sliders?  I do not use any software to set up the controls.  I go into the settings and select the F-16 sim and set them there.  I select the action (such as left toe break) and then push the button or axis that I want (such as the left toe break on the TPR).  I will have to check that out,

As far as load out, I have exactly what is loaded when I do cold start.  Are you saying go clean?  I guess I just have to learn rudder and break controls better.  Oh and I turn off parking breaks before moving.  Still the issue of having to push throttle way up to get the aircraft moving.  I am sure I am just missing something.

20 minutes ago, datman34 said:

Sliders?  I do not use any software to set up the controls.  I go into the settings and select the F-16 sim and set them there.  I select the action (such as left toe break) and then push the button or axis that I want (such as the left toe break on the TPR).  I will have to check that out,

That it's correct. I don't use any external software either. But toe brakes goes from 0-100 and back. Same with the throttle. So these needs to be set as sliders, or DCS will treat them as a joystick axis, with 0 somewhere in the middle of the axis. For the Viper I have not needed to invert them. I think they might have solved that issue in most modules. 

Your stick and rudder are self centering around a middle point, and should not be sliders. You'll understand what I mean when you go axis tune for your throttle and toe brakes. Just move them while you test the different check boxes. 

23 minutes ago, datman34 said:

As far as load out, I have exactly what is loaded when I do cold start.  Are you saying go clean?  I guess I just have to learn rudder and break controls better.  Oh and I turn off parking breaks before moving.  Still the issue of having to push throttle way up to get the aircraft moving.  I am sure I am just missing something.

Yeah, just fix your axis. Nothing more to it. 

The Viper's parking brake (if you have turned it on), will go off at 80 percent or so. 

Cheers! 

I will change the toe nreaks and throttle to sliders.  And thank you so much for helping.

I should prob make friends with a knowledgeable pilot and get tutored the right way instead of banging my head.  LOL

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Sacarino111 said:

Hi.

Yep, you're right. No need to invert in my side neither. It was just an idea.

Saludos.

Saca111

Oh! No worries. Excellent point actually! I had to check my own setup to make sure. 😊

It seems OP has been a little unaware of the axis tuning. So I just mentioned it. 

Cheers! 

I never messed axis tuning.  My controls work wonderfully in IL-2 and MSFS2020, And thus, no need to tune.  Well it goes to show that what works in one place may not work in another.

Of course I cannot test it out until after work.  Man this day is gonna drag.

• Like 1

DO NOT setup the Thrustmaster TPR pedals in Windows. You must download the drivers and TPR setup from Thrustmaster. If you did it through windows you MUST uninstall it there and re-install with the Thrustmaster software. Failure to do this will result in the function of the Brakes to not work as they should. Also NEVER do a calibration of the pedals in Windows.

Just now, Rebel28 said:

DO NOT setup the Thrustmaster TPR pedals in Windows. You must download the drivers and TPR setup from Thrustmaster. If you did it through windows you MUST uninstall it there and re-install with the Thrustmaster software. Failure to do this will result in the function of the Brakes to not work as they should. Also NEVER do a calibration of the pedals in Windows.

Wow, had no idea. Good to kow

Saludos.

Saca111

Another tip. DCS supports both a game mode and a simulation mode. Make sure you change the correct profile. If you have game mode enabled in the settings, you need to change those profiles with game in the name. If you don't have game mode enabled, you need to change the profiles with sim or real in the name. 

I so wish for the future, that enabling/disabling game mode, would hide the (confusing) irrelevant profiles. 😊 

I did not use windows to set up my TPR.  Learned that years ago.  I play in simulator only and thus setup the non-game mode.

A question about sliders for the TPR, do I need to do that in other modules?  How about the throttle?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, datman34 said:

A question about sliders for the TPR, do I need to do that in other modules?  How about the throttle?

HI.

Definitivelly yes. All toe brakes and throttles should be Sliders/collectives (IMO, at least that is how I do it).

Saludos.

Saca111

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, datman34 said:

Well, that might explain some weird behavior I have had with throttle controls in the past.

And Thanks

Hehe! Yeah, sounds like you're in for an epiphany tonight! 

I had a hard time initially setting up controls in DCS. Especially understanding why one had to define as sliders. But now it doesn't bother my anymore, and I believe DCS has one of the most flexible setups out there. 😊 

4 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

Hehe! Yeah, sounds like you're in for an epiphany tonight! 

I had a hard time initially setting up controls in DCS. Especially understanding why one had to define as sliders. But now it doesn't bother my anymore, and I believe DCS has one of the most flexible setups out there. 😊 

I am super looking forward to next level simulation.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Especially understanding why one had to define as sliders.

Never had to do it but it might affect the controls synch when starting up DCS. Have to check.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

1 hour ago, draconus said:

Never had to do it but it might affect the controls synch when starting up DCS. Have to check.

You've never set your throttle/toe brakes to sliders? 

Interesting. If I've forgot in a "new" module, I can see the throttle doing extremely strange things like rocking back and forth or skipping a beat. 😊 

OP isn't the first one to have these issues, and needed to change the settings. But I find it very curious that a long time user like you didn't have to. One can even see it in the control settings. 😊 

Cheers! 

3 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

OP isn't the first one to have these issues, and needed to change the settings. But I find it very curious that a long time user like you didn't have to. One can even see it in the control settings. 😊 

Hi.

Indeed, on one of M. Wagner's videos, you can see him asigning a throttle to an axel, but NOT making it a slider, to my astonishment!

Well, glad to read that the OP is having a better time. 😀

Saludos.

Saca111

Edited by Sacarino111
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Sacarino111 said:

Hi.

Indeed, on one of M. Wagner's videos, you can see him asigning a throttle to an axel, but NOT making it a slider, to my astonishment!

Well, glad to read that the OP is having a better time. 😀

Saludos.

Saca111

Hehe Pretty sure I commented on that once, and he answered that he actually forgot. 😊 

On 6/1/2022 at 11:53 AM, MAXsenna said:

You've never set your throttle/toe brakes to sliders?

I only have HOTAS T16000M + TWCS and before that I had HOTAS X. Never had to set the throttle to slider. Just tested F-15C and F-14B - I see no difference either with slider or normal axis. It works 1:1 in game and physical throttle in full range of motion. It'd only change things if I used lower Y range for the axis.