Navigation and Autopilot in the Viper

JCook
Go to solution Solved by Hobel,

Thanks. I know about the HDG bug. But its not ideal since it needs readjustment... so no autopilot tracking of TACAN i guess.

How about TACAN track indication on the HUD? Is the tadpole just steerpoint?

Edited by JCook
Spelling

Just completed a training flight over NTTR, practicing some basic navigation with steer points and observed the following:

1. No Nav data in the lower right corner of my HUD. No steer point number, no ETA, no distance or slant range to steer point.

2. The ICP rocker for incrementing / decrementing the steer point does nothing. To change to a different steer point I must enter the STPT(4) menu and type in the steer point.

3. Auto pilot will not track to the steer point, when set for that mode.

The HUD does show NAV mode of the left.

I think this problem must be due to to the INS alignment, but it did show ALGN and READY on the HUD during startup.

Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong here?

1. May have an improper INS state or no valid route data.

2. The inc-dec arrows on DED can be moved. Ensure they are next to the current steerpoint to modify it.

3. If no tadpole symbol is visible then AP steering is unavailable.

Ensure you set the INS switch to NAV directly before takeoff with pausing in an intermediate position for more than 1s.

A track of your flight should show any issues.

Have you done a Stored HDG or Norm Alignment? in case of the Norm, have you entered the coordinate? have you changed your aircraft's weight during the alignment?

Yannick "Pancake"

CO VF-14 - vCVW Two

PILOT

[pahy-luh t] - noun

1. A person who does precision gueswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge. See also: wizard, magican

On 6/6/2022 at 12:51 AM, JCook said:

Just completed a training flight over NTTR, practicing some basic navigation with steer points and observed the following:

1. No Nav data in the lower right corner of my HUD. No steer point number, no ETA, no distance or slant range to steer point.

2. The ICP rocker for incrementing / decrementing the steer point does nothing. To change to a different steer point I must enter the STPT(4) menu and type in the steer point.

3. Auto pilot will not track to the steer point, when set for that mode.

The HUD does show NAV mode of the left.

I think this problem must be due to to the INS alignment, but it did show ALGN and READY on the HUD during startup.

Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong here?

How do you align the INS?

Normal alignment.

I did accidently click the DCS toggle out of the DED page (back to the main C&I) so I couldn't watch the alignment countdown, and didn't know how to get back to it.

The HUD however did shown ALIGN and READY.

Reviewing the video above it looks like I may have missed the Pressing ENTER for LAT and LON during the first two minutes. If I recall I only pressed ENTER once.

I'll try the flight again.

List 6 INS. It's not necessary to be in that page except DCS makes it mandatory to confirm LL during normal alignment or the INS work function. So you'll have to be on that page at least as long as it's necessary to do that.

You'll know if INS is good or not is HSI has a red distance flag or not when you turn knob to norm. Flag means you have a bad align or zero steerpoints.