Engine cut-off

Tabasc0

Hello to the heroic pilots of the 21 !

I have noticed that something wrong happens since the last updates. Sometimes there is an engine cut-off, during a straight flight (no PC, horizontal flight). Fortunately, the air start switch works quite well 🙂 but the engine is supposed to stay on 😉

Thanks in advance for your comments !

You're overspeeding the aircraft. Do not exceed 1350km/h IAS (technically the limit is 1300, but ~1350-1380 is where the engine dies in DCS). Do not fly level below 4000m with the emergency afterburner active - either switch it off, or only advance the throttle until the first afterburner status light comes on.

We really need a track to get some of that flight telemetry since, as @rossmum states, the -21 overspeeds at 1300. 1300kmh or Mach 2.1, whichever comes first. I think it's supposed to be 2.05, but I can get to 2.1 before it poofs.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

IRL I believe the mach limit is a stability limit (like 23, 25, 31). Breakdown of directional stability worsens to the point the aircraft becomes unsafe and some of the reasons can be seen if you read the flight manual's description of potential quirks of the aircraft's behaviour as it approaches M 2.0. The original limit was 2.05, later models with the larger side area from the full-length spine and increased vertical stabiliser chord were upped to 2.1 practically but manuals continued to print 2.05.

As far as I can tell, the engine flameout is an artificial constraint added to prevent people abusing the aircraft's excess thrust to fly at speeds that were considered too unsafe IRL, but where the DCS module does not/cannot simulate worsening stability or canopy failure due to friction heating.

DCS can definitely simulate stability issues, and canopy damage should be an option, too (although it would need to be implemented, currently it's not possible for the canopy to fail for any reason). That said, for the former, the FM would need to be updated to have stability issues in that area.

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, Tabasc0 said:

Thanks for your answers, but as i've written above, the afterburners are not on, and (so) i am lower of 1300km/h.

Could it be it just flames out as usual in sudden though minimal pitch yanks, but with the new controls model it's just more critical now?

I mean, I've flamed out -21 engine even just in low level high speed (not higher than critical though) and while flying just "straight and level", or I thought so because it's easy to yank the stick even just slightly and that movement apparently can flame out the engine also. Now with the change in controls model (which I don't like very much honestly, I have a long stick and it lags really badly in cockpit from my actual movement, also control surfaces in external view does) I noticed it's even more sensitive than before, don't really know if it's been done on purpose or it's some kind of bug, sincerely. But whatever it is hat wouldn't help with flame outs definitely.

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

On 7/12/2022 at 4:44 PM, Tabasc0 said:

Thanks for your answers, but as i've written above, the afterburners are not on, and (so) i am lower of 1300km/h.

At higher speeds (still well below 1300km/h and no A/B) and wings level, I've noticed it's distressingly easy to push a bit of negative G without realizing it and induce a flame out.

I've done it many times trying to compensate for the porpoising with stick input instead of playing trim-whack-a-mole, usually because I was focusing on something else.

Other than over-speeding it, an inadvertent negative-g pushover is the only way I've managed to stall the engine, outside of extreme maneuvers during combat.