General Thoughts

Howzzat

Just purchased the map and had a few flights so far.  Here's my thoughts...

The good:
. Not terrible, was worried from negative reviews
. Unique scenery compared to alpine, grass and desert maps
. Unique atmospheric lighting
. Large
. Sometimes beautiful

The bad:
. Low density ground scenery
. Poor performance in some places
. Some mountain tops very jaggy, low res elevation map
. Some low / detail textures look bad

Hoping for future improvements:
. 'Rock' (rocky mountain) detail texture gets massively improved. Looks terrible up close compared to other terrain types.
. Towns with just road grids get filled out with buildings and scenery
. More airports, the more the merrier
. Better tree placement, matching terrain coloring and density
. Remove baked shadows from satellite imagery
. Improve colored mountain lakes
. Improve water way edges
. Higher resolution digital elevation map, even if install choice for more HDD space.
. Quick start missions for most aircraft, at least Razbam aircraft!

I don't regret buying the map at this time. I am not skilled with the map editor to make anything interesting, so look forward to more single player content on the map.
I plan to make recreational, training and user mission flights from time to time while watching and waiting for improvements.

• Like 4

Agree on all your points and would be happy to pay more for an "enhanced" version with those negatives addressed. It has a LOT of potential to be really great, just let down currently by the points you mention. The mountains are the star of the map I think and making them great would really set the map apart.

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd pick this up. Just in the process of downloading it (66GB!)

I know it's a vast map, and there's a bit more positivity with it now with the updates that have come, and I'm sure are coming.

There's a few missions and campaigns about that look good and flying a Harrier around there if nothing else will be iconic to a Brit like myself haha.

All in all, I'm looking forward to trying it, and to some missions/payware campaigns that will hopefully be being developed for it in the future. 

Edited by PluckyUnderdog
Addition of a sentence
  • Like 1

i7 12700, 3070ti, 64GB Orion 2 F16EX grip and throttle, Thrustmaster TPR pedals

I just got this map. I was not a fan of it when it came out. Just my opinion and it is not worth much. I ended up getting this map for one reason. I wanted to open my mind to not judging or being closed minded. It is so empty I don't like the North end of the map. I am in the Far South end of the map. It looks kind of like Alaska to me. I like flying the Huey. I was Shocked to see so much bad bug shader or shadow issues with the Grass. I turned it all off to 0 to get rid of it and flat ground shadows off. Crazy bad looking. So I started making a single player mission. I had to make a new Huey Skin for this mission. I made the Rocky Mountain Park Rescue Huey from Cliffhanger I made 3 with numbers 1,2,3, For fun I put Arnold Schwarzeneggers face on the Pilot and Sylvester Stallone's face on the Co Pilots face. the 3D model took Sylvester's face quite well. Arnold's face not so much but if you know it is him you can see it. I see no Train Tracks where I am on the map. What is the problem with the Grass? Colors change black spots of shadow squares flash in and out with every move of the head. Like I said I had to turn the render distance of the grass to 0 to get rid of this bug. 2D and VR it has to be off. 

The map is definitely not perfect and still needs some love, but I remain a fan. I think the pros outweigh the cons and I love the sense of size and distance the map imparts. Get the clouds and the lighting right and with the mountains and valleys in the distance makes for a great flight. I like the sense of "something new" this map brings. I think it was a bit of a risk to make this map and I like that.

The Syria map set the standard for excellent updates. That map is worth every penny. Hopefully the SA map will also see some (more) quality updates. 

• Like 4

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

• 3 weeks later...

Took a solo F-16 over Southern Argentina, just flying in a straight line at about 6k looking at the lovely mountains, settings up high enough, exact same flight in both cases.

No MT- ~40FPS

Yes MT - ~70 FPS 😃

Apparently the South Atlantic map responds well to the new update. All the more reason to love this map. 

• Like 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!