Take Off

JOEM423

On 10/13/2022 at 10:15 AM, Michael Taylor said:

Thanks to your reply.  I've addressed your query's inline below. Please feel free to keep the suggestions flowing. There must be something I'm missing if others have mastered it.

• Settings for wind etc, are set to minimal
  • Trim settings are all good.
  • I've got a split throttle and have tried controlling movement with this method as well, but I get the same result as when I'm using break & rudder control. I haven't given this a lot of time, so will try to master this a little more.
  • I've tried every method for the same result. Starting slow and building up to starting at full power. Same result. The smallest adjustment has an exponentially greater effect as the speed increases.
  • I've set the mission to have a hot start from the runway, so assuming the tail wheel is straight. I will check. But this shouldn't matter as I should be able to correct this without killing myself.

I'll keep plugging away until I break this beast!

Can you get it airborne off Manston or Beny sur Mer aerodromes? They're the widest runways on their respective maps.

Are you setting takeoff flap? I forgot to mention that before. 15-20 degrees is about right.

The trick with the rudder on the takeoff run is to tap-dance on it: correct any swing the instant it develops and then rapidly return the rudder to neutral. If you press the rudder and leave it there until the next swing, you will lose control. Jabs of brake help with this process.

Do not slam the throttle fully open unless you absolutely need to (obstruction or runway end approaching)

DCS WWII player. I run the mission design team behind 4YA WWII, the most popular DCS World War 2 server.

https://www.ProjectOverlord.co.uk - for 4YA WW2 mission stats, mission information, historical research blogs and more.

Mike, post 2 or 3 replay tracks showing your failed takeoff attempts, so that we can take a look at them and advise, otherwise we're running in circles here. There's nothing inherently difficult about Mossie takeoff once you know what to do or rather what not to do. Maybe we'll spot some issue in your approach to the procedure.

• Like 4

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 1 month later...

Wow seeing the size of this forum on takeoff I don't feel so bad now about crashing the first 22 tries to get it off the ground. LoL

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

• 1 year later...

I do not understand how the boost is achieved. Do I need to rotate the valve which is partly obscured on the left upper of the panel? How do I boost? I never achieve more than about 80 mph during my take off roll and my tail never lifts up. 

George

DCS Profile.png

54 minutes ago, Migparts said:

I do not understand how the boost is achieved. Do I need to rotate the valve which is partly obscured on the left upper of the panel? How do I boost? I never achieve more than about 80 mph during my take off roll and my tail never lifts up. 

First you need to move RPM levers all the way forward before attempting take off.

Then you can operate throttle levers.

UePbMTl.png

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

1 hour ago, Migparts said:

Think of a car or a bicycle. You need a short gear ratio aka high rpm to get going. The prop rpm control is like your gearbox in a car. That‘s the reason you need to always adjust the rpm first (high rpm for power needs, lower rpm for efficiency in cruise) and than advance the throttle. Just like a manual gearbox in a car.

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

8 hours ago, Hiob said:

That‘s the reason you need to always adjust the rpm first (high rpm for power needs, lower rpm for efficiency in cruise) and than advance the throttle. 

That is not quite true, if you want to increase power first increase rpm after this increase throttle if you want to decrease power things are opposite, first you reduce throttle then you reduce rpm.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

1 hour ago, grafspee said:

That is not quite true, if you want to increase power first increase rpm after this increase throttle if you want to decrease power things are opposite, first you reduce throttle then you reduce rpm.

I was mainly talking about increasing power requirements, hence the "advance" throttle. But you're of course right for decreasing power needs it goes the other way round. Sorry if that wasn't clear from my post. 

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

53 minutes ago, Hiob said:

I was mainly talking about increasing power requirements, hence the "advance" throttle. But you're of course right for decreasing power needs it goes the other way round. Sorry if that wasn't clear from my post. 

You used term "always" this could be misleading.

7 minutes ago, grafspee said:

You used term "always" this could be misleading.

As in "always raise rpm before asking for power"..... but I admit it was poorly phrased.

But I think it is clear now.

1 hour ago, Hiob said:

As in "always raise rpm before asking for power"..... but I admit it was poorly phrased.

But I think it is clear now.

Good point, it wasn't completely wrong afterall. Sorry about that.

I found un-binding my TM Warthog throttles, and using each lever individually for each engine, its much easier to keep it straight on the runway. If I yaw to the left, increase the left throttle a bit and she straightens out. And vice versa...... once airborne, rebind your throttles if you wish.

:drinks_cheers:

• Like 1

Sempre Fortis

9 minutes ago, _Hoss said:

I found un-binding my TM Warthog throttles, and using each lever individually for each engine, its much easier to keep it straight on the runway. If I yaw to the left, increase the left throttle a bit and she straightens out. And vice versa...... once airborne, rebind your throttles if you wish.

:drinks_cheers:

This is axactly how it was done in the real aircraft during the war.

• Like 1

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

21 hours ago, grafspee said:

First you need to move RPM levers all the way forward before attempting take off.

Then you can operate throttle levers.

UePbMTl.png

Yes that is how I do it. Yet achieving 100 mph is almost impossible and it is just too slow to take off. I end up crashing as a car would at the end of the runway. 

George

DCS Profile.png

4 minutes ago, Migparts said:

Yes that is how I do it. Yet achieving 100 mph is almost impossible and it is just too slow to take off. I end up crashing as a car would at the end of the runway. 

Brakes are complete loose? Too much flaps perhaps? (Don’t know if Mosquito takes full flaps on TO). Mixture settings?

Maybe make a little track for us to have a look.

1 hour ago, Migparts said:

I'm not aware of length of all airstrips in DCS maybe you are trying to take off from very short runway ? Can you tell us from which airport are you trying take off ? 

I tried on my end and i am able to get even 140 before liftoff, question is how long is runway from which you are trying to take off because some of them are quite short for mosquito.

Edited by grafspee

Other option - the last time I've read about such symptoms in Mossie, user had game flight mode turned on.

• Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Last time this “lack of takeoff power” happened to me the reason was that RPM dropped to minimum - I had two axes mapped to RPM (by mistake), one on the throttle and one on the stick base, so when I advanced one the inputs were conflicting. RPM lever would advance to max, but then jump back to minimum when I was not looking.

• Like 2

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!