Navigation in the F1

dogsbody59

I see nav is done by tacan and VOR 

Tacan is simple enough but where are the VOR sites?

As far as I'm aware apart from the odd one or two on the Caucasus map if they even work there are none on any other maps

Are they to be added or are they pointless?

Edited by dogsbody59

1 hour ago, dogsbody59 said:

I see nav is done by tacan and VOR 

Tacan is simple enough but where are the VOR sites?

As far as I'm aware apart from the odd one or two on the Caucasus map if they even work there are none on any other maps

Are they to be added or are they pointless?

1 hour ago, Bremspropeller said:

South Atlantic (at Punta Arenas) springs to mind. There may be more on some other maps.

Nevada and Persian Gulf also have VOR and VORTAC.  Probably Syria and Marianas as well.

Edited by kontiuka
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

When you are in the mission, open the F10 Map. Look at airports for the blue circle with a while line through it and the airport name. Click on this and you'll see the TACAN (if the airport has it), the VOR (again, if present) and the ILS frequencies if available. However, just it easy, here are a few common TACAN stations on DCS map's I happen to know off the top of my head. 

Batumi is 16X

Tblisi 25X (not directly on airfield, about 600 meters west.)

Senaik I want to say is 31X, but I could be wrong. I know 31X and 44X are present on the map and around the same area. 

If you're looking for a VOR, look on the F10 map or your kneeboard. the symbol for a VOR is a square with a polygon (?) in it, and a frequency. 

On South Atlantic Map, Mt. Pleasant is 59X. 

on NTTR, Nellis is 12X 

Ramat David is 84X, Incirlik is 21X

AL Dhafra is 96X (Persian Gulf map, there are many more) 

But you don't need a TACAN or VOR at every airport. The F1 has a neat feature that's pretty simple to use, TACAN offset. On you HSI I put the source on "VT" (VOR/ TACAN) and I tune to a tacan station. Next, the white selector knob above with switch between a tacan, and a tacan offset. A TACAN offset is a simple distance and bearing from the tacan station you've tuned too. (The Mirage 2000 has the same thing, but a more in-depth version.) Tune the knobs for your distance and bearing from the tacan station, say 320 degrees 18 Nautical miles from 16X. Now your navigation instruments will take you to the offset, not the tacan station. (You can select the station by switching the white knob back to direct tacan) The TACAN station on the F1 when using an offset will get you in the general area of an offset up to 300 Nautical miles (in practice I've only gotten about 250 miles due to mountains and such) 

Now, on VOR's. Okay steam gauge navigation isn't perfect. there are... problems. While i was in the army I always carried a compass. I had GPS, but more is better. Today when hiking/ hunting/ canoeing/ etc, I still have a compass with me. My jeep has like 4 compasses in it, plus my GPS, plus maps. if the error of your single nav system is say 1 nautical mile, well, having 3-4 different way's to navigate can, if done properly, lower your error. (or compound it if you screw up...) 

Is VOR navigation important? Yes. Back when I was a kid I was often in the front copilot's seat of my dad's airplane. I held the maps and the E6b. To get an exact location we would tune to an VOR or NDB/ ADF. Get a bearing from the station. Then tune a different one, get a bearing and distance if possible. If I can get a bearing to 3 stations, I can know my exact location within a very small margin. So, with a VOR tuned in the F1, and a TACAN tuned, and a TACAN offset, and a map. You can get pretty damn close to wherever you want to be. I've gotten in the habit of always tuning into a TACAN station, and a VOR, and an offset if possible. Even in the newer jets like the Hornet or Viper, I tune a tacan. The little bit of prep work means I'm not looking at the F10 map constantly, meaning I can spend more time flying and fighting the jet because I know where I need to go after or before a run to a target. When possible, I give up one radio in the TOMCAT and tune an ADF or VOR just to give me that little bit more locational awareness. 

Now it's your jet, so fly DCS how you want. But for me at least a part of the fun is using and tuning all the radio navigation systems in the aircraft. Finnaly, here is an image I found of the different symbols used by NAV aids. (RSBN's aren't on here, sorry.) Hope this helps you out. 

FYI there are TACAN stations and VOR and ADF/ NDB's on every map in DCS. Not every airport, but they're around. 

TsCD8.png

Edited by Dscross
added images
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Let me add a couple more things. 

First, if you are in mission editor got to the "VIEW" tab in the top right corner. (After you make your mission and have added your tankers, carriers and portable TACAN stations.) Choose "BEACONS INFO" and you'll get a list of all the beacons on the map. You can select / de select any type you want, so you're only viewing the information you need. For example, an RSBN station doesn't matter much to a Mirage, but a TACAN station doesn't matter to a MiG-21. Display what you need and then take a screen shot. Crop the image to the size you want, and drop it in the briefing for your mission, or just put it in your kneeboard for general use while flying.  I've included an image of what this will look like below. 

null

Second. To try and let address some of your navigation concerns, and since I was going to do it anyway, I'm making a Mirage F1 navigation Video for YouTube. I'll edit this post and include a link when I post it. 

Third. Someone I don't know posted a helper guide to radio beacons, magnetic declination and all that. He posted it in the user files. Not my work, so I'm including a link to where you can find it. I hope all this helps you with your navigation. Aerodrome Data and Frequencies - Updated 07 January 2022 (digitalcombatsimulator.com)

image.png

Edited by Dscross
Navigation Tutorial Link
  • Thanks 3

• 11 months later...

If you create your own missions and you’re using a map with few default TACANs, it is possible to add a TACAN beacon as a unit.  If you put that vaguely near the front line or on the way to the target, it can be used as a reference point.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.