How can get magnetic course of a target?

f1rst

In old videos and docs, there was 'MC' field that showed a magnetic course of locked target. Now we have 'RT' field and no 'MC' field any more. What that 'RT' means and how can I know a magnetic course of a tracked target since there is no corresponding field any more.

f-14.jpg

Edited by f1rst

RT or LT is his aspect relative to you. If it said 0 that would mean he's pointing right at you. RT 177 means he is rotated to the right 177 degrees from looking at you. So essentially he's flying away from you, and you can compare that to your heading on the VDI or BDHI which is right around 360. We can conclude that he's flowing North same as you are. You can also verify that by the low closure rate. Your speed is around 440, and the closure rate is +113, so he's doing about 320ish. If he was coming towards you, or flanking in some way, the closure rate would be higher.

Now I understand how it works, thank you for the explanation. As I understand there is no magnetic course any more as it was before. I wonder why the Heatblur didn't mention about that in the F-14 guide.

53 minutes ago, f1rst said:

Now I understand how it works, thank you for the explanation. As I understand there is no magnetic course any more as it was before. I wonder why the Heatblur didn't mention about that in the F-14 guide.

If I remember correct what the magnetic course on the TID did was it gave the magnetic heading that the target was traveling towards. This can still be determined by pressing either the SPD or HDG CAP buttons.

unknown.png

unknown.png

The heading of the target can be determined by looking at the HD and CR data lines (which mean the same thing).

EDIT: HD is true heading and CR appears to be Magnetic Course with another name? Not too sure since the manual hasn’t been updated with some info that might be helpful.

Edited by DSplayer

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

Only true heading and course are used for tracks and in the WCS they're the same as the radar can't discern actual heading, just course. Magnetic heading and course is only for own aircraft.

Edited by Naquaii

You can also switch to ground stabilized display on the TID and estimate the target's course since north will now be oriented to the top.

v6,

boNes

• Like 1

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot