Bombs landing on/penetrating ships don't move with them

Northstar98

Hi everyone,

If a bomb with a delayed fuse impacts a ship, it doesn't move with them and will instead remain fixed relative to the world when they come to a stop. If the ship is moving sufficiently fast enough (or with a bomb delay long enough), the bombs will phase through the ship and be fixed underwater. The distance may open sufficiently enough so that when they explode, no damage will be done to the ship.

This is particlarly important for situations like the Falklands War, where the Argentinians made use of bombs with delayed fuses, allowing them to attack from very low altitudes (and thus degrading the effectiveness of shipboard radar). At the moment this kind of thing is more difficult to impossible unless bombing stationary targets.

Spoiler

On another note, bombs impacting the water behave the same as on the ground, i.e they rapidly decelerate and stop - the rapid deceleration is accurate, but you'd expect them to sink.

Secondly, bombs impacting objects (so far tested on terrain objects and ships), don't seem to have a penetration simulation - bombs don't decelerate when impacting these objects - they behave as if they haven't hit anything. Of course it's possible for bombs to penetrate a ships hull and exit out of the other side, but right now it seems more common than expected.

bomb_ship_impact.trk

Edited by Northstar98
grammar
  • Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.