Upgrading from Oculus to HP Reverb = Absolute Trainwreck

killerquagmire

Just purchased a new HP Reverb today to replace my Oculus Rift S and I must say I'm extremely disappointed. I have a pretty beastly system with a RTX 3090 and 32 gb of Ram. I was running the game smoothly at mostly medium settings with my oculus. I plugged in my HP Reverb using the same settings and the game is unplayable because of so much stuttering. This is in a well lit room so I'm not sure what the problem is but my gut is telling me this can't be right. Has anyone else on here upgraded to an HP Reverb from Oculus had a similar experience? I know a lot of folks on here have raved about the Reverb so what am I missing? Surely I must have something configured wrong.

Ok so I tried reducing the graphics to low and I'm still having the same issue so now I know there is definitely something not right here. One thing I noticed is that when DCS starts the screen gets all scrambled. It didn't do that with the Oculus. It almost seems like there is multiple instances of the game trying to run. Any advice would be greatly appreciated guys.

I did the same upgrade. Make sure your resolution is not set to higher than 1PD both in SteamVR and the game, I’d say that was the first big difference. After that I ran through the setup guide for HP reverb G2 that you can find here on the forum. 
I still have some stutters over the carrier but the resolution is way better than it was on the quest. 

Alienware Aurora R10, Ryzen 5800X3D, RTX4080, 32GB RAM, Pimax Crystal, Winwing F18 throttle, VKB Gunfighter F14 Stick, VKB Modern Combat Grip, Logitech Rudder pedals, DOF Reality H3

On 8/11/2022 at 4:49 AM, killerquagmire said:

Just purchased a new HP Reverb today to replace my Oculus Rift S and I must say I'm extremely disappointed. I have a pretty beastly system with a RTX 3090 and 32 gb of Ram. I was running the game smoothly at mostly medium settings with my oculus. I plugged in my HP Reverb using the same settings and the game is unplayable because of so much stuttering. This is in a well lit room so I'm not sure what the problem is but my gut is telling me this can't be right. Has anyone else on here upgraded to an HP Reverb from Oculus had a similar experience? I know a lot of folks on here have raved about the Reverb so what am I missing? Surely I must have something configured wrong.

Try full-repairing your DCS installation.

Something amiss...
Everyone's system are different, as is their acceptance level of FPS / sharpness etc... and set DCS config.  And of course it changes per terrain, per Aircraft and miz - MP / SP etc...

As an example with my G2 2080ti, 10900K OC, 64 memory and steam runtimes on MP I was getting reasonable FPS 25-40 with some side stutter and the occasional big dip if on say Ah64 and Syria...

Now with a 3090 the GPU fans are always quite, the CPU is around 20% and rarely is the GPU maxed.  With the setting below (note I use MSAA) and OpenXR runtimes most AC & Maps on MP are 50-60FPS + and no side stutter and all is crystal clear on MP.  So you should be able to get somewhere in this ballpark...

There is a mass of threads here on the subject... happy reading 🙂

Screen_220812_143103.png

SIGBLOCK.png

I had a similar experience, and afterwards the same feeling that this could not be right. I got less fps with the g2 than with the rift s but that was expected and not really the problem. On my first run i had massive stutters. Even with lowest settings. So i though well maybe something is wrong with the shaders or drivers etc. I deleted the shaders, reinstalled the drivers, checked every resolution setting for the g2 and tried again. But nothing changed. I did some research and found a website that had some helpfull tips (https://vr4dcs.com/2020/12/24/how-to-nail-reverb-setup/). The website mentioned something about ghost monitors that could have an impact on performance, so i check the windows display settings and suddenly had like 9 monitors listed. I disabled every monitor that was listed except for my main one and tried again (had to restart dcs). Stuttering in game was almost gone and the fps went up to a level where i expected them to be. Some weird bug i had back then caused stuttering when entering a new vehicle which could be resolved by alt-tabing out of the game and back in, which got rid of the remaining stuttering. Since then i had no problems with my g2 and am happy with the performance, also that bug went away sometime since then, never knew what caused that.

Edited by Nick_17

1)  Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi D4 / i9 13900K @ 5,5 Ghz / Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200 Mhz / Asus ROG Strix RTX 4090 / 2 x 4 TB SSD Samsung 870 Evo / 2 x 1 TB M.2 SSD Samsung 980 Pro / Meta Quest Pro

2)  Asus ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming / i9 10900K @ 4,9 Ghz / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200 Mhz / Asus ROG Strix RTX 3090 / 1 TB SSD Samsung 870 Evo / 500 GB M.2 SSD Samsung 980 Pro / HP Reverb G2

On 8/11/2022 at 4:49 AM, killerquagmire said:

I plugged in my HP Reverb using the same settings

SteamVR default resolution settings are higher than the native G2 resolution (for barrel roll distortion issue); try to set it at 100%.

2 hours ago, Gizzy said:

Something amiss...
Everyone's system are different, as is their acceptance level of FPS / sharpness etc... and set DCS config.  And of course it changes per terrain, per Aircraft and miz - MP / SP etc...

As an example with my G2 2080ti, 10900K OC, 64 memory and steam runtimes on MP I was getting reasonable FPS 25-40 with some side stutter and the occasional big dip if on say Ah64 and Syria...

Now with a 3090 the GPU fans are always quite, the CPU is around 20% and rarely is the GPU maxed.  With the setting below (note I use MSAA) and OpenXR runtimes most AC & Maps on MP are 50-60FPS + and no side stutter and all is crystal clear on MP.  So you should be able to get somewhere in this ballpark...

There is a mass of threads here on the subject... happy reading 🙂

Screen_220812_143103.png

I have a similar system with an OC ASUS Strx RTX3090. I should be getting similar results. Can you list your settings for OpenXR? Also, are you using OpenComposite? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

OpenXR & OpenXR toolkit basically on default other than I've increased sharpening from 20% to 40% - thats it.  The toolkit uses open.composite.

I know initially whatever way I installed it it ran on top of SteamVR even though OpenXR runtime was specified in developers SteamVR.  This did not get a good result.   I did not RTFM - the part about running a repair via SkateZilla utility and tick the box to check when repaired to check everything for not required files and delete them.  Now it works as it should.

My DCS config is above, CPU is bottlenecked just above 20 GPU is not maxed.  Fans are quite.  As a comparison for you the miz file below, a ramp hot start AH64 in syria helo base gives me 50+FPS depending where I look.  System info also attached...the CPU is OC 5.1  hope that helps

2022-08-14_134751.png

delete.miz

Edited by Gizzy

SIGBLOCK.png

First run a full DCS repair. 

Second make sure nothing is updating, scanning, or even running when starting DCS, other than apps needed for DCS.

Third use the tips in here for graphics options in DCS as well as NVidia. Personally I would not try OpenXR before you've identified the issue what's causing your stutters.

Edited by dawgie79