Mil Mi-2URP

Avimimus

For many years the Mi-8 forum had an Mi-24 thread... I think it is time we continue that tradition, but extending it to the Mi-2.

Why the Mil Mi-2:

1) It is the next most produced Soviet helicopter at ~5500 examples (after the Mi-8 with ~17,000 built and the Mi-24 with ~2650).

2) It pioneered the twin turbine roof arrangement of the Mi-8 and Mi-24 (and other later Soviet helicopters). It is also cute.

3) It is the closest Soviet equivalent to the light NATO helicopters (e.g. OH-58, Sa-342, Bo-105). Although it is slower at 210 km/h, with a lower disk loading, its payload and role put it in the lighter utility helicopter category (good for spotting, medivac gameplay etc.)

Mi-2_Size_Payload.png

4) The Polish variants (particularly the Mil Mi-2URP) have a remarkable armament including:

• Fixed forward firing 23mm cannon
  • Flexibly mounted door guns
  • Air-to-Air missiles (Strela)
  • Rockets (up to 32 rockets)
  • MCLOS anti-tank missiles (4xMalyutka-M ready to fire, four reloads in the cargo compartment).

Furthermore these weapons could be carried asymmetrically in the URP version - allowing up to three types of weapons to be carried at once (giving it a more varied armament than the Western light helicopters we are likely to get).

Mi-2 nb 7335 1987r.zdj.01.png

40-1.jpg

Edited by Avimimus
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Yup, why not, I love everything RUSSIAN !

And I like their definition of " light heli " ahah.

But for next Mil I'd rather have one heavy Mi-26 or Mi-6, the first being more plausible for current operations, Mi-26 T2V is state of the art fo logistic and battlefield support, plus it would be interesting for multicrew and electronic warfare/flying headquarter.

And hell of a complex and interesting machine that requires teamwork.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPL(A)IR ME/SEP/MEP/SET - CPL(H)

Always wanted a Mi-2 in DCS for pure curiosity if nothing else. But it'd also be a nice red side light helo, and as original poster said, some variants offer a quite varied ordnance to shoot too.

So +1 from me!

• Like 2

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Here is an attempt at some rough performance data:

Mi-2_Performance.png

It has the rotor area of a UH-1 Huey but weighs a bit less (bringing it a bit closer to the Sa-342 Gazelle in terms of disk loading). Its speed is also closer to the UH-1 than to the later light scout helicopters - as is its loaded weight. So if you like the UH-1, but want more varied armament... it might be the thing for you.

It is the closest to a scout helicopter that the Soviets ever produced though... so it should also appeal to those who like to be small, hard to hit/spot, and sneak around in their Gazelles, Kiowas, and Bo-105s too...

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/25/2022 at 8:33 AM, Stratos said:

Very interesting and a insta buy for me, do you have pics of those door guns?

The first photo in the thread actually shows one.

But here is the door gun position on the other side:

PZL_Mi-2R.jpg

And the weapon system with additional forward firing guns:

PZL_Mi-2US.jpg

I believe the four fixed forward firing machine guns precluded the carrying of rockets or missiles. However, the fixed forward firing cannon (and at least one door gun) can be carried with rockets and missiles.

Some info from: http://www.samolotypolskie.pl/samoloty/2284/126/PZL-Mi-22:

Mil Mi-2US (peaked at 30 examples) - Four fixed forward firing machineguns saw limited use prior to upgrading - but export to Burma in the 1990s. Typically upgraded to Mi-2URN (peaked at 28 examples, delivered from 1972) with 32 57mm rockets.

Mil Mi-2URP (peaked at 44 examples, delivered from 1975)- Eight anti-tank missiles, four ready to fire (five minute self-reload time). Upgraded to Mi-2 URP-G - URP with mixed armament of rockets and Strela air-to-air missiles.

Apparently most of these variants could be fitted with the 23mm cannon and the door guns (which are staggered).

Edited by Avimimus
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Avimimus said:

The first photo in the thread actually shows one.

But here is the door gun position on the other side:

PZL_Mi-2R.jpg

And the weapon system with additional forward firing guns:

PZL_Mi-2US.jpg

I believe the four fixed forward firing machine guns precluded the carrying of rockets or missiles. However, the fixed forward firing cannon (and at least one door gun) can be carried with rockets and missiles.

Some info from: http://www.samolotypolskie.pl/samoloty/2284/126/PZL-Mi-22:

Mil Mi-2US (peaked at 30 examples) - Four fixed forward firing machineguns saw limited use prior to upgrading - but export to Burma in the 1990s. Typically upgraded to Mi-2URN (peaked at 28 examples, delivered from 1972) with 32 57mm rockets.

Mil Mi-2URP (peaked at 44 examples, delivered from 1975)- Eight anti-tank missiles, four ready to fire (five minute self-reload time). Upgraded to Mi-2 URP-G - URP with mixed armament of rockets and Strela air-to-air missiles.

Apparently most of these variants could be fitted with the 23mm cannon and the door guns (which are staggered).

Really really interesting!! Sure it will be a nice addition to our choppers! 

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2022 at 3:11 PM, evanf117 said:

you should have suggested this in the normal suggestion's section not the section for the Mi-24, also id rather a Ka-29 (the best helo) or a Mi-4 (especially with its radial engine)

The Mi-8 forum had an Mi-24 thread for several years (in the main section, not the wishlist section... so putting this here is just an extension of the tradition.

The Ka-29 would also be interesting (very interesting aircraft with interesting armament option), although I suspect it is too heavily classified (as it was produced in small numbers for special forces). The Mi-4 would also be interesting... although it doesn't fit the light helicopter role. So, yes, I generally would agree. Still, the sheer number of Mi-2 produced, and the relatively small size, recommend it in my mind. It'd be nice to have something roughly equivalent to the UH-1H, Sa-342, Oh-58D etc. This is as close as it gets (at least if no one produces a scout version of the Ka-226).

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2022 at 5:43 AM, Avimimus said:

The Mi-8 forum had an Mi-24 thread for several years (in the main section, not the wishlist section... so putting this here is just an extension of the tradition.

The Ka-29 would also be interesting (very interesting aircraft with interesting armament option), although I suspect it is too heavily classified (as it was produced in small numbers for special forces). The Mi-4 would also be interesting... although it doesn't fit the light helicopter role. So, yes, I generally would agree. Still, the sheer number of Mi-2 produced, and the relatively small size, recommend it in my mind. It'd be nice to have something roughly equivalent to the UH-1H, Sa-342, Oh-58D etc. This is as close as it gets (at least if no one produces a scout version of the Ka-226).

ight, also a positive to the Mi-2 is some one could make a mimino campaign 

• 3 weeks later...

"Sir I have a wish about our mi-24"

"What is it then?"

"Please make an Mi-2URP"

".."

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15EF-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

• 1 month later...