Aim9B/GAR-8 should not uncage like it currently does

Harlikwin

The Gar8/aim-9B is bugged with regard to its uncage-lock/pre-firing behavior.

Currently, you put the gun piper on the target until you get “tone” (~4 deg IFOV). Which automatically “locks” the target, and “uncages” the seeker head, and you can freely maneuver within the seeker gimbal limits (~25 deg).

While this behavior or variations thereof may be found on later models of the aim-9 its not correct for the 9B since its seeker only uncages (locks) the target after being fired. Correct behavior would look like maneuver till you get tone on target. Then fire, and the firing process takes ~1 sec from depressing trigger to missile leaving the rail. The seeker gyro is uncaged with the firing command, never before. If the target maneuvers out of the 4 degree seeker FOV during this time you loose lock.

Early versions of the sidewinder used a mechanical cage mechanism as described below. Later 9B versions used a magnetic cage mechanism which still mostly operated in similar fashion.

image.png

image.png

Pg 71

image.png

Pg 115 sidewinder

Magnetic caging and firing sequence, and
 9B firing sequence from OP 2309 (3rd) page 2-2AIM-9B (https://archive.org/details/OP23093rdAIM9B) Declassed pre-1980.
image.png

As stated above, only AFTER firing does the gyro uncage. 

And finally the first sidewinder to have uncage capability was the aim9E as mentioned in the Project CHECO report from Vietnam (pg10-11). https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/citations/ADA486826

image.png

• Like 4

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

52 minutes ago, 2alpha-down0 said:

This is also supported by the documentation provided for this bug that was fixed a few months ago.

image.png

Yeah thanks for that. Also good thread for the other issues as well.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• 11 months later...

Thank you for posting about this problem. It has been nearly one year since you highlighted this issue and nothing has been done. I believe this is also an issue with other ED modules that carry the 9B such as the F5.

With the introduction of the Mirage F1 and its new and more realistic launch characteristics with the 9B, this problem became even more so highlighted with other modules. It is my belief that this is partly what also lead to RAZBAM removing the auto-uncage of the R-3S (historically a very similar missile) on the mig-19 and changing other launch sequences such as the time it takes to leave the rail.

I am bumping this topic simply because although here; on the forum, it doesn't "seem" much of an issue and I hope it gets more attention. Among the cold war multiplayer player base, it's very common that "little" issues like this tend to elevate our disdain for the game and gives us the feeling that these modules have been abandoned.

Edited by PinkCube
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...