Performance increases 25-50% when fake grass and rocks are no longer drawn.

XCNuse

On 11/12/2022 at 4:09 AM, Rapierarch said:

Dear @Raz_Specter

Is this issue being worked on? The fps hit when splat textures start blending still exist it makes almost all finished area of map no fly zone for low level flights. Do we have a rough ETA? 

Otherwise I'll uninstall the map if the solution is months away or not being worked.

Thanks in advance,

So this is the cause of bad performance under 1000ft or so on this map, Channel and Marianas? If this is the case, I would also like to know if it's being worked on as the fps hit is massive until you go above that altitude.

Edit: With the update today I'm getting much better performance on this map on the ground, it's still not great at Mount Pleasant airfield, but Punta Arenas is markedly improved (Arenas going from about 20-27fps on the ground in an empty mission to about 55fps with identical settings. Mount Pleasant going from about 20fps on the ground to between 35-40fps).

Edited by Surrexen

• 1 month later...
On 11/11/2022 at 5:09 PM, Rapierarch said:

Dear @Raz_Specter

Is this issue being worked on? The fps hit when splat textures start blending still exist it makes almost all finished area of map no fly zone for low level flights. Do we have a rough ETA? 

Otherwise I'll uninstall the map if the solution is months away or not being worked.

Thanks in advance,

from our perspective we have met the memory requirements that ED set out for terrains,  we have seen an overall performance increase across the map. also with that in mind we are also reviewing all of our models and reducing unneeded geometry to get more performance.

as it stands today I can run the map in the Varjo at the highest settings (39ppd) with a 4090 and get a solid 60+ fps across the map no matter where i am looking.

but as I said we are redoing some of the models to simplify the geo,  example the new containers (Specter Studio) ones

lod0 960 polys
lod1 5
lod2 5

this will be in the next update, however as you can imagine there are a lot of models to go through in conjunction with the other works that is required so this will take time.

Thanks Specter

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

On 12/16/2022 at 9:58 PM, Raz_Specter said:

from our perspective we have met the memory requirements that ED set out for terrains,  we have seen an overall performance increase across the map.

lod0 960 polys
lod1 5
lod2 5

Hi @Raz_Specter,

Thanks for the good news with the VRAM usage. I have also acquired a 4090 and got it at the same time as the last patch. I can not reliably test the VRAM usage anymore and I cannot see that splat texture blending distance performance hit. IT was either your intervention, or my horsepower and VRAM increase. We need 8gb card users to test it. 

If you can implement those LODs like that for all of the map assets I do believe that this will be one of the best performing maps in DCS. 

this is on the list of tasks to perform

thanks for testing

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist