Cannot Make Maveric Ground Stablized After Firing First Missle in VIS Mode

brucewhf

Normal procedure for Maveric at VIS mode is:

1. Enter VIS mode
  2. In HUD, slew the box symbol to the target
  3. TMS up to designate the target
  4. Lock target from Maveric
  5. Fire

After firing the first missile, second missile is automatically seleceted. That's good. But I can't make the second Maveric ground stablized, no matter how many times I press TMS up. It keeps moving around as my aircraft moves. I have to use TMS DOWN to undesignate target, then start  the procedure all over again, which is inconvenient. Is it a bug or just true to life?

Edited by brucewhf
  • Like 1

• brucewhf changed the title to Cannot Make Maveric Ground Stablized After Firing First Missle in VIS Mode
  • 2 weeks later...

You can post it in Bug section if you think its a bug, but before you posting there you will need to provide track file, which you can save it if you are in SP(single player) and it will be automatically saved if you are in MP (Multi Player)

Edited by Raviar

I still have not come to a place of peace with Mavs, sometimes they work fine other times I do *something* different and no-go. That said, I think I've seen and fixed (by procedure) the issue you described...

As I understand it, if you hot-start a mission Mavs are already boresighted (BS).  Cold-start, you have to boresight them, or VIS will really give trouble stabilizing.  I assume you're all good to here.  I was doing my BS procedure and having success with my first Mav, but yeah -- the next Mav would not seem to ever be looking where it should and wouldn't stabilize.  I didn't realize that one has to BS both pylons independently... do it twice, essentially.  BS, then switch to  the other station at bottom of the page and BS again.  Hopefully that helps?  

• Like 2

System: Core i9 10980XE @ 4.00GHz -- MB: X299 UD4 Pro -- 32GB RAM -- RTX4070ti -- 1TB Intel NVMe x2 -- Win10 pro

been an issue and has been reported before, happens when either shooting one missile so the next one is not able to be stabilized anymore or when using TMS aft after a break lock scenario... curious why this post get the "cannot reproduce and missing track file"....

Edited by Moonshine
added additional post

2 hours ago, Moonshine said:

curious why this post get the "cannot reproduce and missing track file"....

Not trying to be a smart ass, but obviously it got that tag because ED tried and couldn't reproduce it and no one has posted a track file of the problem in this thread for ED to use to try and reproduce it 🤔

3 hours ago, Fuggzy said:

Cold-start, you have to boresight them, or VIS will really give trouble stabilizing. 

Boresighting should have nothing to do with Mavericks ground stabilizing. The only thing it does is align the Maverick seeker crosshairs with another sensor. Usually this is the TGP, but in VIS mode it is the HUD TD Box. Without boresighting, the missile crosshair will be slightly off from the TD Box location on the HUD, but the missile should still snap to where it thinks the TD Box is and stay there. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bunny Clark said:

Boresighting should have nothing to do with Mavericks ground stabilizing. The only thing it does is align the Maverick seeker crosshairs with another sensor. Usually this is the TGP, but in VIS mode it is the HUD TD Box. Without boresighting, the missile crosshair will be slightly off from the TD Box location on the HUD, but the missile should still snap to where it thinks the TD Box is and stay there. 

OK I see what you're saying.  Ground stabilization and getting a target lock are not the same thing, I'm conflating them. Whether aligning my TGP to Mav seeker or using VIS with HUD TD, unless I align and BS both pylons separately I always get the first (highlighted) missle looking where it should, but the second will be misaligned and not matching the TD/TGP.  But yes I think you're right, it actually is GS but just not aligned.

Also just read that aligning TGP to Mav BS has an exploit, AND BS'ing can be done on ground.  Now I have to go back and try everything again, the hardest part for me is getting both sides BS'd before I overfly whatever I found to lock onto.  If I can do the full (correct) BS while sitting on tarmac, maybe I can learn to like the Mavs.

System: Core i9 10980XE @ 4.00GHz -- MB: X299 UD4 Pro -- 32GB RAM -- RTX4070ti -- 1TB Intel NVMe x2 -- Win10 pro

After boresighting the first station, pressing MSL step will change to the other station, then the not yet boresighted mav will be slightly off of the position the tgp is looking, should be pretty quick making the adjustment, get a lock and then hit BSGT again. No need to touch the tgp a second time to align the second station

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Moonshine said:

After boresighting the first station, pressing MSL step will change to the other station, then the not yet boresighted mav will be slightly off of the position the tgp is looking, should be pretty quick making the adjustment, get a lock and then hit BSGT again. No need to touch the tgp a second time to align the second station

Oh this is really good info, thank you @Moonshine   it works.  and now I finally have a reason to remember that button

Edited by Fuggzy