Locking FPS

Ok, I need some advice. If I run DCS without locking my fps it works the GPU too hard. I'm not sure what to lock it at? My refresh rate is 144Hz if that matters. If I lock the fps at a number that my system can hold and the fps dips under my lock number. Does that cause a problem like stutters?

Thanks for any help.

Buzz

54 minutes ago, BuzzU said:

Ok, I need some advice. If I run DCS without locking my fps it works the GPU too hard. I'm not sure what to lock it at? My refresh rate is 144Hz if that matters. If I lock the fps at a number that my system can hold and the fps dips under my lock number. Does that cause a problem like stutters?

Thanks for any help.

Not really, if you use VRR (Variable Refresh Rate). And yes, 144Hz unlocked framerate is way too much for DCS, no matter how good the GPU. 

What's the model of the monitor, and of the GPU?

If you have a 144Hz display, then most likely it supports VRR, either FreeSync or GSync.

Enable FreeSync or Gsync (whichever of the two it uses) in the graphics driver options, and then set the game to Vertical Sync OFF. 
Next, also in the driver options, there's a "Max Frame Rate" option. You can then lock your FPS at, say (just for an example), 60 FPS. And so the monitor will run at 60hz, thanks to the VRR. 🙂 And without any screen tearing in the image. 

The point is, your GPU and your monitor need to both support Freesync and/or GSync, then you can achieve that.

In the case of FreeSync monitor....
If it's an Nvidia GPU on a Freesync monitor, it'll only work if using a DP (Display Port) cable, it won't work with an HDMI cable.
If it's an AMD GPU, FreesSync will work with any of the two types of cables.

In the case of GSync monitor...
It'll only work with an Nvidia GPU, and usually with a DP (Display Port) cable, as it delivers a higher/wider refresh range than HDMI.

If it sounds confusing, I can tell you that it's really simple.
Find out which of the two VRR technologies your monitor uses and what GPU you use (Nvidia or AMD), and just google "How to setup GSync or FreeSync on AMD / Nvidia" (whichever your monitor supports and GPU you use), then follow the instructions accordingly.

Edited by LucShep

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (5.1/4.9p + 3.8e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

Ok, GPU is 3080 Founder Edition. This is the monitor.

https://www.newegg.com/black-asus-tuf-gaming-vg27aq-90lm0500-b013b0-27/p/N82E16824236987?nm_mc=AFC-RAN-COM&cm_mmc=AFC-RAN-COM&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-Hatch&AFFID=2879876&AFFNAME=Hatch&ACRID=1&ASUBID=s16573076881624q6ha52417&ASID=&ranMID=44583&ranEAID=2879876&ranSiteID=9SHw.8narkE-vEWCCznqTtzhDpMb3Hi4Dw

G-sync was on by default and I left it there.

I set the fps by the max fps setting in Nvidia. I just want to know if it maters what I set it at. Also, if the fps dips below what I set it at does it matter. I can set it at 60fps and it never shows anything but 60fps. I can use higher numbers but it will hold pretty good but every now and then it will dip a few fps. Any disadvantages with just using 60fps. Not locked and I get around 130-150fps.

Buzz

6 hours ago, BuzzU said:

Ok, GPU is 3080 Founder Edition. This is the monitor.

https://www.newegg.com/black-asus-tuf-gaming-vg27aq-90lm0500-b013b0-27/p/N82E16824236987?nm_mc=AFC-RAN-COM&cm_mmc=AFC-RAN-COM&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-Hatch&AFFID=2879876&AFFNAME=Hatch&ACRID=1&ASUBID=s16573076881624q6ha52417&ASID=&ranMID=44583&ranEAID=2879876&ranSiteID=9SHw.8narkE-vEWCCznqTtzhDpMb3Hi4Dw

G-sync was on by default and I left it there.

I set the fps by the max fps setting in Nvidia. I just want to know if it maters what I set it at. Also, if the fps dips below what I set it at does it matter. I can set it at 60fps and it never shows anything but 60fps. I can use higher numbers but it will hold pretty good but every now and then it will dip a few fps. Any disadvantages with just using 60fps. Not locked and I get around 130-150fps.

That's a pretty darn good monitor. And GPU as well. 👍

If you have G-Sync already well set for the game, and with an Nvidia RTX3080 FE GPU, if locked at 60FPS there are really no downsides for DCS. (or any other flight sim for that matter)

I'm not sure but I believe the minimum range of G-Sync is 48Hz or so. If correct, that means G-Sync will work with framerate as low as 48 FPS. Lower than that, images motion will feel extremely choppy and screen-tearing will drive you mad. But then, ideally, noone wants to game anything below 60 FPS if using a monitor, so I'd say to take this last number as your "ideal minimum".

High refresh-rates are meant for respectively high framerates. This has been a thing for years with extremely fast pace gaming, twitch shooters (CS GO, Quake, Unreal Tournament, etc, etc), where instant nervous reflexes, from the user, make for better results on competitive arenas, for such hugely popular games that are far, far simpler (not as detailed) on purpose, to be very light (less demanding) on hardware resources, and run very fast at all times.
Pretty much the opposite of DCS then. 🙂 

With the extremely high level of detail on graphics (on everything really) and loads of background code/scripts, which is very heavy work on most of the hardware, and also due to the natural pace (slower, more calculated) of a flight simulation like DCS, it just makes far better sense to have the game running at a lower, yet rock solid stable framerate, at all times.

With your monitor, and for flight-sims, I wouldn't bother with anything over 83 FPS (about half the refresh-rate of your 165Hz G-Sync monitor), and lock it there.
I'd even argue that 60 FPS is the ideal framerate for DCS but, of course, you use what you feel most comfortable with.

So long as you got that locked framerate rock solid stable (and with G-Sync, in your case), with graphics set to your preference, you got it pretty much perfect, performance wise.
And it also won't overstress your hardware (something that the unlocked framerate definitely does), which is also important in the long term, for obvious reasons. 🙂  

Edited by LucShep

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (5.1/4.9p + 3.8e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

Pretty much everything that Lucshep said. Its only my opinion but running DCS with a 60fps cap in the Nvidia control panel while using a G-sync monitor looks just fine. I use a 3090 with a 60hz 4k TV right now.

It will also reduce the workload of the GPU and save on your electric bill a bit. 

However your kit gives you the ability to set a frame rate cap anywhere between 48-144fps. You almost have too much choice. Just from having a good experience with DCS on 60hz monitors before I usually cap at 60fps.

The other thing you can do if your worried about load on your GPU is set a clock speed cap along with a voltage cap in MSI Afterburner. I use 1950Mhz @ 0.950mv. My 3090 runs a lot cooler too.

Ok, thanks guys. I'll leave it set at 60fps. Graphics look perfect and it runs super smooth. 

I do have to increase my Ram. It's only 16gb right now. When I run Task manager in performance setting it says I have 15.9gb and i'm using 15.1-15.4gb. That's just flying around with my wingman in single play. I never use multi. Sitting parked on the Supercarrier with lots of Hornets parked and taking off gives me the same results. I'll call up Maingear today and order another 16gb of ram to match what I have now.

CPU is just loafing and runs cool.

Thanks again.

Edited by BuzzU

Buzz

Well, we all knew that those 16GB wouldn't last long 😁 You could have asked them to take the 16 back and send a 64 instead.

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

They won't do that. I asked them to add another 16gb before sending it to me and got a no too. I don't want to have to buy all the ram by going to 64gb. I don't think I need it for single player. Do you?

Looking at my system it looks like i'll have to remove the radiator to add the Ram. I really didn't want to start pulling it apart. That's why I bought a built system. I'm old and my fingers don't work as well as they used to. I was an auto mechanic for 20 years when I was young and loved working on anything mechanical. Now, I dread it.

Push the start button and go fly is my style now. 🙂

Edited by BuzzU

Buzz

You should be ok with 32GB for single player tho I have seen 40+GB on SP on the ramp.

Removing the cooler is usually not that complicated but I get what you say. Small screws and old eyes, gentle tightening and "look at my old numb fingers"... . Damn

Best is to read the cooler manual before you touch any screw, maybe it's enough to take one fan off the cooler if it's only that which is in the way. Yeah, who doesn't hate that.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

A manual would have been nice. I was really shocked that Maingear came with no manuals with the system. I can see how it comes off easy enough. It's on the top of the system. Not thrilled with taking off a radiator full of water around electronics.

I probably should have paid the extra money to have them build a custom system. I didn't because i'd still be waiting for it. They shipped my pre-built in two days.

One feature the system has that I thought was kind of cool. It came with a small remote with 12 different colored buttons. Press a button and it changes the color of the lighting in the system to match the colored button. Is that normal for todays systems?

Buzz

Actually, it's impossible to avoid LED, they all have some blinki blinki somewhere. The board, the GPU and the case nowadays mostly have some kind of LED sensation. I wouldn't need it tbh.

Remember to have some thermal paste at hand if you have to remove the cooler !   ...and some rubbing alcohol to clean the old one off the CPU and cooler...