How to make the 530 IR track ?

cmbaviator
Go to solution Solved by Flappie,

Hello guys, i've been flying the F1 recently on the ECW server and the 530EM was not allowed for whatever reason so i had to take the IR version but i don't know how i'm supposed to fire it.

Indeed, i did have the tone meaning i guess it was lock on the IR signature of the engine so i fired it but it went straight like if it was a rocket, no tracking at all. the target was in a flanking aspect. Can it only be fired from the ennemie's 6 ?

thanks

• Solution
On 10/19/2022 at 3:46 PM, Bremspropeller said:

Yes, it's a rear-aspect only missile.

It should not be: the R530 IR missile was "limited" all-aspect, which means it was not able to lock a target going straight on you, but it was able to lock from the sides.

The R550 Magic 1 was strictly rear-aspect. The next update will change current behaviour for both missiles to better reflect reality.

It will look like this:

Update.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Maybe I ´m wrong but the IR version is rated as short range so you have to check the distance to the target

Asus Rog Strix Z390F, i9-9900K, 64GB Crucial DDR4/3300, RTX3080, NVMe M.2 980 Pro 1T x2, SSD Evo 860 1T x2, Seagate Barracuda 1T, Seagate Barracuda 6T, HP X32C, HP Reverb G1

2 hours ago, Joe1978 said:

Maybe I ´m wrong but the IR version is rated as short range so you have to check the distance to the target

The IR 530 has the same range as the EM version, same motor etc.

5 hours ago, Flappie said:

It should not be: the R530 IR missile was "limited" all-aspect, which means it was not able to lock a target going straight on you, but it was able to lock from the sides.

The R550 Magic 1 was strictly rear-aspect. The next update will change current behaviour for both missiles to better reflect reality.

It will look like this:

Update.png

So, IDK you might know or if our resident Mirage pilot might know. 

In terms of maneuvering the 530 seems to turn immediately off the rail and be able to pull very high G loads when doing so. Is there any evidence it could actually do this? For example most sidewinders and sparrows of the era could not. The sidewinders from the 60's/70's etc had a ~.5 sec delay before they could maneuver for a variety of reasons. I forget what the delay for the sparrow was but I know it had one.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

57 minutes ago, Harlikwin said:

In terms of maneuvering the 530 seems to turn immediately off the rail and be able to pull very high G loads when doing so. Is there any evidence it could actually do this? For example most sidewinders and sparrows of the era could not. The sidewinders from the 60's/70's etc had a ~.5 sec delay before they could maneuver for a variety of reasons. I forget what the delay for the sparrow was but I know it had one.

No idea. I'm not a missile expert at all, I simply explained what the fix was gonna look like.

Please open a new thread if you think the missiles manoeuverability is unreal.

1 hour ago, Flappie said:

No idea. I'm not a missile expert at all, I simply explained what the fix was gonna look like.

Please open a new thread if you think the missiles manoeuverability is unreal.

lol, will do I guess, but I don't have much in the way of hard data.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

hace 8 horas, Harlikwin dijo:

The IR 530 has the same range as the EM version, same motor etc.

Yes, but I mean his range limitation is due to his seeker head. 

There are some references to this on the web (it seems that Spanish air force cataloged it as short-range) as the R530s were useless in dogfights or low altitude combat where the radar couldn't lock so I think the IR version might have been more appropriate for these environments despite the loss of performance in distance.  

Like I said, I'm probably wrong but I've tried locking on targets with both the Sidewinders and 530IRs and the Sidewinder's IR seeker seems much more sensitive and finds targets from a higher distance. Flappie ? 

Edited by Joe1978

Asus Rog Strix Z390F, i9-9900K, 64GB Crucial DDR4/3300, RTX3080, NVMe M.2 980 Pro 1T x2, SSD Evo 860 1T x2, Seagate Barracuda 1T, Seagate Barracuda 6T, HP X32C, HP Reverb G1

4 hours ago, Flappie said:

I tested the fix for a moment and I had no such issue: tone = missile ready, I release it and it flies towards the target.

Please wait for the next OB update and report back.

Where's the fix ?

20 hours ago, Flappie said:

It will look like this:

Update.png

thanks for the explanation but currently, the 530 IR is like the R550 in the next update ( right diagram) ?

1 hour ago, cmbaviator said:

Where's the fix ?

thanks for the explanation but currently, the 530 IR is like the R550 in the next update ( right diagram) ?

The fix should be in the next OB update.

Currently, the R550 is all-aspect (not even limited) and the R530 IR is rear-aspect only. Initial report by Harlikwin is here:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Flappie said:

The fix should be in the next OB update.

Currently, the R550 is all-aspect (not even limited) and the R530 IR is rear-aspect only. Initial report by Harlikwin is here:

So you shoud be able to IR lock a target that is 100%hot ie 180° aspect with the 550

I guess so, but we don't really care: this will change soon, and for good. 😉

Why would we spend energy and time on something that I know will be changed in the next OB?

Retest when the next OB update comes in, then report back here.

• Like 3