Gyro - ant switch

MysteriousHonza

3 hours ago, MysteriousHonza said:

Does anyone know what exactly it does? 

Have no idea .. I checked the Flight Manual of the F1-CZ, which should be mostly applicable to the F1-CE, and it isnt mentioned either. For those that don't own this aircraft yet, it is this switch:

2W14gTY.jpg

@Vibora .. please, can you tell us what this switch does?

Thanks 

Eduardo

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

It was mentioned together with gunsight pipper as ant being WIP. Which leads me to believe its gunsight mode that calculates firing solution from radar returns instead of own plane movements like gyro does (radar provides only range for gyro mode) - aka same sort of system like on modern jet. I believe mirage IIIs had same/similar system, if you look on guncams of israeli mirages, its really steady pipper and it doesnt act like gyro would. 

• Like 1

Mirage III CSF97K sight never used any Antenna angles or angle rates.

Mirage III system was either locked on where the radar range and own aircraft body rates (sensed by the internal sight gyro) was used to calculate prediction angle. Gravity drop was assumed in the aircraft/s plane of symmetry and not earth vertical. A fixed value for trajectory shift was used. No Antenna angles or angle rates were ever used.

If not locked on then a fixed range of 6Hm (or 3.5hm if the caged button was used)and own body rates were used. Again a fixed Trajectory shift value was used and Gravity drop for either 6Hm or 3.5hm if caged were used.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IvanK said:

Mirage III CSF97K sight never used any Antenna angles or angle rates.

Mirage III system was either locked on where the radar range and own aircraft body rates (sensed by the internal sight gyro) was used to calculate prediction angle. Gravity drop was assumed in the aircraft/s plane of symmetry and not earth vertical. A fixed value for trajectory shift was used. No Antenna angles or angle rates were ever used.

If not locked on then a fixed range of 6Hm (or 3.5hm if the caged button was used)and own body rates were used. Again a fixed Trajectory shift value was used and Gravity drop for either 6Hm or 3.5hm if caged were used.

You want to tell me, that this super steady pipper is gyro? Just look at F1 how jumpy and inaccurate it is in DCS. 
Iam not saying i dont believe you, i do. But then what we have in DCS, is not really good representation of gyro sight.

Yep thats exactly what it is. I have a lot of time sitting behind the Mirage III gunsight 🙂 Smooth handling allowed very precise tracking.

It as also worth pointing out that the original Israeli gun camera film was all shot at 16fps.

Guns-F5-ERMAF.jpg

Edited by IvanK

5 hours ago, IvanK said:

Yep thats exactly what it is. I have a lot of time sitting behind the Mirage III gunsight 🙂 Smooth handling allowed very precise tracking.

It as also worth pointing out that the original Israeli gun camera film was all shot at 16fps.

Guns-F5-ERMAF.jpg

What the hell is gyro - antenna then 😅 because formulation of that sentence in changelog implies that there is different mode than gyro.

Edited by MysteriousHonza

17 hours ago, MysteriousHonza said:

What the hell is gyro - antenna then 😅 because formulation of that sentence in changelog implies that there is different mode than gyro.

You brought up Israeli guncam footage thats all Mirage III footage. You implied that based on that footage the Mirage III had similar function to the F1 as set by the GYRO/ANT switch (whatever that does)  My response was dealing with the Mirage III CSF97K gunsight that does not have any GYRO/ANT function .......... not the F1

As to the Gyro gunsight diagram you posted that comes from the F1ED NWS manual pg 175-55. Its worthy of pointing out that the F1ED does NOT have a Gyro/Ant switch.

Scrolling down a couple of pages to 1.75-61 is a large complex functional table.In the two Gun related sections there is reference to "antenna tracking errors (full scale) and also the curious phrase "future prediction angles for radar distance (firing at a fleeting target)"  which might imply some sort of snapshoot mode (similar to the F5E sight). It does imply that in the F1ED the Antenna angle and or antenna angular rates might be a factor in the F1 prediction angle calculation. Also it would be required for the Guns Autofire/blind mode as the small square TD symbol (positioned by Antenna angle) and the guns pipper would need to be in coincidence.

Still does not resolve what this GYRO/ANT switch actually does which it seems is unique to the F1CE we have in game.

Edited by IvanK
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, IvanK said:

We have the Answer ... Blind Gun firing ... i.e. shooting in IMC:

Thanks a lot for pointing it out 🙏

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB