How to Perform a perfect Orbit on Target?

franzy666
Go to solution Solved by franzy666,

Is there a simple method to correctly orbit a target at a set altitude and speed and distance without risking loosing sight of the TPOD? 

I always struggle with that and always break the Tpod line of sight because the circle is not prefect.... assuming there is no wind which makes things even harder.

• Like 1

Intel Core i9-10900X - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti - RAM 32 GB DDR4 - HD 4 TB + 2 TB SSD - Win10 - Some WinWing F/A-18 devices - TPR rudders - HP Reverb G2

Only advice I can give you is do a left hand orbit cos the Tpod is on that side, also if you can drop the ordnace from the Station next to it (6 I think) first to clear line of sight,, Clear skies then orbit at 20,000ft 20-30 miles out depending on weapon employment Mach .72ish and use ATC, BATH and ATTH , once you have the A/C in a30ish degree bank angle,,You will have to adjust get the perfect circle its pretty hard, just increase or decrease bank,, hope this helps

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Solution

I'll give it a try, thanks. 

The problem is that adjusting one variable demands adjusting several others. Altitude, speed, distance, bank angle, all these are linked and interfere with one another. 

If the ceiling is low, and for instance if the area is somewhat mountainous then you would need to reduce the altitude, the circle diameter, hence adjust the speed and angle, and be killed because you lost time in regaining line of sight..

• Like 1

Intel Core i9-10900X - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti - RAM 32 GB DDR4 - HD 4 TB + 2 TB SSD - Win10 - Some WinWing F/A-18 devices - TPR rudders - HP Reverb G2

A good quick reference is the HSI or SA Page. The target point reference should be directly abeam of the ownship aircraft symbol. If it starts to drift down: increase bank. If it starts to drift up, decrease bank. 

• Thanks 2

Is it just me, or does the TPOD on the FA18 have a much more limited tracking ability than that same pod loaded onto any of the other aircraft?  The blank screen of loss of track appears when, in a similar situation, other aircraft would still have an image displayed. It's as if it's automatically stowing itself when it is in anything other than an ideal configuration.

It depends on where you have the pod loaded on the aircraft and what else is loaded on the pylons. The pod also sits very close to the center compared to, say, the A-10 being very far out on the wing, or the F-16 being very far forward towards the cockpit.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

From my notes (not going for perfect numbers, but all approx and good enough):

Radius of turn - for orbiting technique (CAS wheel)

R = V2 / (11.26 x TAN AOB)

R is radius in ft (6072ft = 1nm), V is velocity in Kts, AOB is angle of bank.

Testing based on 480kts g/s (~ M0.8 or ~8 nm min), Alt 15-20000`

5 deg AOB - 38nm radius

10 deg AOB - 19nm

15 deg AOB - 12nm

Head towards target area, a few miles before orbit distance enter turn to be 90 degrees abeam, use ALT + ATT HOLD and set your AOB. If target starts dropping behind kick a few more degrees AOB on etc.