moving my head forward does change the size of the HUD projection

Rongor

I noticed that while using TrackIR, I have to move my head into like 5 inches distance to the HUD frame to have the whole projection becoming visible for me on the HUD glass. If I move my head back into normal position (leaning back to the headrest), the HUD projection size remains unchanged compared to my monitor, yet since the HUD frame size decreases (more distance), only the center content of the HUD projection remains visible.

Is this a bug? I don't think this is physically correct. If the distance to the HUD increases, the HUD projection should decrease in size as well...

Edited by Rongor
edited thread title to clarify better

• Rongor changed the title to moving my head forward does change the size of the HUD projection
3 hours ago, Rongor said:

how can this work technically? It's like looking on a helmet mounted display, the distance between the projection and my eyes seems ever the same.

Yet it isn't. This doesn't make any sense by optical rules.

That's how HUD's are supposed to work.  They're not just a simple screen reflected off a pane of glass.  There's a series of lenses that project an image that remains focused at infinity, in the same position and the same size no matter where you move your head.  Look up 'optical collimator' for details how

Edited by jaylw314
  • Like 4