AI departures from carrier

Nix Mills

When taking off from the carrier, and after making their breaking turn, AI aircraft go into a steep climb with burner until they reach 10,000 ft. Even your wingman will do this, irrespective of what you're doing, which of course makes them expend a lot of fuel right from the start (especially for the F/A-18C).

Real life Case I procedures (good visibility, daytime) require departing aircraft to, after the clearing turn, to proceed on a parallel course to the carrier (BRC) at <300 kts and <500 ft until 7 miles out.

Real life Case III procedures (low visibility, fog and/or night) require departing aircraft to not perform a clearing turn (as each departs with at least 30 sec intervals) to proceed on a straight course and a steady climb at <300 kts until 7 miles out. (After that they'll arc towards their first waypoint maintaining their speed and climb until 10 miles out, plus there are some radio procedures for this, but all that is not quite as important for this purpose).

My wish for this list is to include this AI behaviour for Case I/III so that they don't burn right up to 10,000 ft.

Love your work.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just give them a 1st waypoint out in front of the carrier at 500 feet then have them perform a climb to an appropriate altitude using a normal speed with burners checked off in the advanced waypoint options. There probably is a way to script a moving waypoint that is always 7nm in front of the carrier but I dont have the time to figure it out.

Edited by ruxtmp
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I do the same with a waypoint, at 500' 300kts 7nm BRC, but that doesn't prevent them from climbing close to 1000' first before then diving to 500' and going direct to waypoint. This causes issues when breaking the deck, as the last aircraft launching violates pattern altitude for the first section in the break.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

I hope this hasn't been forgotten and will at least be part of the ai rework that's happening?

• Like 3

Owned: Ryzen 3900x, MSI AMD 470x mobo, 32gb 3200MHz ram, Gtx 1660 Ti, 970 Evo Plus 500GB, MsFFB2, TIR5, TMWH+18c Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Buttkicker/SSA, WinWing F-18C . Next is VR for simpit

Art Of The Kill: