NVG Question

Hootman9104

Just a question....

Before when switching to NVG's, I had a nice full screen NVG view. Not really realistic, but nice nonetheless.

I went and flew the UH-1 for a bit doing a night mission, and it had the NVG circle like looking out of the ANVIS goggles.

Then when I flew the Apache again, the full screen NVG view was gone, and it was using the round circle ANVIS view.

I realize the full NVG view is not realistic, but is there a setting that changes that back and forth? Looked all through the settings and couldn't find it.

They've got rid of it. It's too much of a cheat.

Edited by Tiger-II
  • Like 1

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Goetsch said:

I think the biggest problem with the night vision device is that there doesn't seem to be any Binocular Night Vision Device.

(Even though the pilot model is wearing the AVS-9...

You mean in VR? I run 2D but Im surprised to hear its not bino in VR.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

40 minutes ago, Goetsch said:

I also run 2D

I think ED should be able to make this module a bit more refined,I don't know about the other modules, I have A10, F16 and all the helicopters but none of the modules pilots are binocular night vision, which is strange...

What's more, the Apache crew model is wearing AVS-9 :C

微信截图_20230119121745.png

,steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.jpg

Have you ever worn a pair of binocular NVGs? I have on multiple occasions and I can tell you that it doesn't expand your field of view beyond what monocular NVGs do. The only thing they really do is that they give you some semblance of depth perception, that's about it.

I could understand if there were an issue with VR usage as I don't fly in VR and can't speak to it.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sabre05 said:

Have you ever worn a pair of binocular NVGs? I have on multiple occasions and I can tell you that it doesn't expand your field of view beyond what monocular NVGs do. The only thing they really do is that they give you some semblance of depth perception, that's about it.

I could understand if there were an issue with VR usage as I don't fly in VR and can't speak to it.

I agree. We operate NVIS-9 and when you look through it, it gives the same rounded picture as with, lets say, PVS-7 or 14. So, through NVIS, you should see rounded greenish (in our case grayish) picture with blurred dashboard and you should be able to see instruments unaided looking bellow googles or to the side.  

Edited by Masak
spelling

• ED Team

Binocular NVG's don't expand the field-of-view beyond the round aperture, they simply add depth perception.

And just to be clear, the NVG's modeled in game are AN/AVS-6.

• Thanks 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

It actually started working in full screen again. Not sure what goes on with that.

Since everyone is talking real NVG's, back in the day I started my Army Aviation career in the 82nd Airborne, with the 1/17th Cav when we had UH-60, AH-1, and OH-58A in each Troop.

The UH-60 was still the "new guy" on the block. Those were the days when Army Aviation was a new branch, and Reagan's buildup was in full effect. We started out with basically full face goggles like a VR headset, and then moved to the goggles strapped on with velcro on the front visor and lead weights on the back of the helmet. Really wore your head and neck out, and hotspots were a constant aggravation.

In '86, Sikorsky started bringing the new H-60's with the greenish/blue NVG lighting in the cockpit and cabin, and modification teams came around to all the bases and modified the pre-nvg aircraft from red instrument and cabin lighting to the blue/green lighting. When we had the red lighting, we also had to use the ol' green duct tape to tape up the "vids" on the panel (the little chicklet lighting for engines, torque, etc.), we taped them to only show green, as the yellow and red were extremely bright. So basically under goggles only the green vids showed, and if you had no green vids, well....

Before I left the 82nd, the "Army of Excellence" occurred, the Cav got rid of the Blackhawks and I found a job over in the 82nd Combat Aviation Battalion, which had their UH-60's on Pope AFB. Then the 82nd Aviation Brigade was created, with 1st Battalion (AH-64) and 2nd Battalion (UH-60) Did about a year at Pope, and then we moved over to the brand new hangars at Simmons Airfield, new hangars designed specifically for AH-64 and UH-60. We also got brand new aircraft around the time, like the smell of a new car 🙂

During that time the 1st Battalion spent a year at Ford Hood with their shiny new Apache's learning how to fly and maintain them. That was a 12 month PCS for those Troopers, and there were some very disgruntled folks, and I think after a month they started arranging USAF and Navy flights between Hood and Bragg every weekend so people could go be with their families back at Bragg.

I ended up leaving in '88, for my re-enlistment, I wanted someplace like Hawaii or maybe Fort Eustis or Rucker as an instructor for a while, but all they offered me was guaranteed to continue at Fort Bragg, or I was going to Korea for a year, and then coming back to Bragg. Back then that was a hardship tour in Korea, no family allowed.

So I took my third option, getting out and joining the Virginia Army National Guard, which had began fielding UH-60's to replace their UH-1. Imagine my horror when I first walked on the flightline and saw the UH-60's they got were the ones turned in at Fort Bragg when we got new aircraft there. Virginia even had my very first aircraft I crewed in the 1/17th Cav, 80-23464.

After a month I was offered a full time slot at the Army Aviation Support Facility in Richmond, Virginia, where I worked from 1988 until I retired in 2004.

I got see see a lot of changes in Army Aviation during my years, night flying and the technology being one of them.

People take a lot of the nifty equipment for granted these days, but those fairly early days with crappy goggles and not so great tactics made for some scary flights. Going inadvertent IMC under goggles, and then having another aircraft fly right underneath you about 30 feet away when you came out of the clouds is an "oh sh.." moment you can't forget.

On 1/19/2023 at 4:57 AM, Sabre05 said:

Never mind NVGs, have they not looked through a pair of binoculars?

It doesn't look like this...

binoculars.jpg

Edited by Scott-S6
  • Like 1