Free 3D Plans for an F-4 Phantom/Century Series Grip!

_BringTheReign_

Would be good to stick this on my Orion base that is largely sitting idle while my Warthog/WarBRD combo remains my daily driver.  I don't think the Winwing stuff uses the same shift-registers-in-grip layout though.  Either way, it's getting sliced up and printed today!

As someone with a Virpil base and the 200mm extension I am very much interested in this. I've found myself tempted to get a decent resin printer anyways, and I think it might be neat to print it in resin. Do you know if anyone has printed sim grips in resin in the past? I understand for certain applications the printed plastic can be stronger or more durable but would there be specific known downsides in terms of strength? I had also been considering trying to print some F-14 style grips to frankenstein on my X-56 throttle. Another instance where there are nice grips for the F-14, but so far no throttles of consistent, good quality.

I'd love to see some more sticks like this, your video was very easy to follow and there are a bunch of modules coming up where printed sticks that work with a Warthog or Virpil base would be appreciated. Specifically I haven't found any WW2 style grips for Virpil, and we have a certain F4U Corsair coming up in the possible near future.

And while they are all potentially a good ways off, it would be neat to have ones for the A-7E, Intruder, and F-8 as well. Wasn't the A-6's grip also B-8 style?

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

14 minutes ago, LanceCriminal86 said:

Wasn't the A-6's grip also B-8 style?

Yes it is

A-6Cockpit.png

Aircraft: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-5E, FC3, AV-8B, Mirage 2000C, L-39, Huey, F-86, P-51, P-47, Spitfire, Mosquito, Supercarrier

Maps: Persian Gulf, Syria, NTTR, Marianas, Normandy 2, Channel

Upcoming Modules Wishlist: A-7E, A-6E, F-4, F-8J, MiG-17F, A-1H, F-100D, Kola Peninsula

The B-8 is a very common type of stick, until HOTAS became a thing, most US fighters and quite a few helos used it. It's basically the same stick as in the very first US jet, the P-80 (although I've seen a pic of it with a Mustang stick, too, so not from the very first version). The first major departure I know of is the F-14, and even that one still resembles the B-8, as does the Hornet stick.

• Like 1

Well, I've made a start.  The closest thing I had on hand to black was this gray spool of somewhat temperamental PLA+, and being in a rush I printed it with a .24 layer height, so it's definitely a bit rougher than it should be and I'll do some sanding to smooth it out a bit.  The detail on the side panels and the knurling of the base nut is wonderful.  One thing that surprised me was that the stick is quite a bit thicker than the Warthog and Hornet sticks. 

20230106_225246.jpg20230106_224601.jpg

I'm waiting on a few things.  Trim hat switch and the screws.  I need to experiment a bit with springs.

@_BringTheReign_, now that I've actually got it in my hands, I'm even more impressed by what you've accomplished with the design.  The only suggestion or request I would make is to perhaps include the original editable files for the trigger and trigger housing.  Those are probably the two components that will need a little remix to accommodate different springs and wiring attachment methods for the trigger switches.

Thinking ahead for the later Phantom sticks, is there anything I should order aside from a second hat switch?

• Like 2

On 1/6/2023 at 9:59 PM, Biggus said:

@_BringTheReign_, now that I've actually got it in my hands, I'm even more impressed by what you've accomplished with the design.  The only suggestion or request I would make is to perhaps include the original editable files for the trigger and trigger housing.  Those are probably the two components that will need a little remix to accommodate different springs and wiring attachment methods for the trigger switches.

Thinking ahead for the later Phantom sticks, is there anything I should order aside from a second hat switch?

Thank you so much!!
I can definitely include the original files, I'll update the thingiverse link with my .blends

I'm working on compatibility with the ALPS RKJXM1015004 , just waiting for a batch to arrive and then I will update the trim hat and thumb rocker housing, other than that I think everything is pretty much good to go!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://youtube.com/@thesimnet                                    questions@thesimnet.com 

image.png

On 1/7/2023 at 7:02 AM, jaguara5 said:

Would it be possible you think to order a Mirage F1 resin stick and convert it to a functional one? Functionality is not very different form the B8 one. 

Very interesting looking stick! I will definitely look into this - as it's a net-new design for me I would likely put something like this on cults3D 

• Like 1

https://youtube.com/@thesimnet                                    questions@thesimnet.com 

image.png

14 hours ago, _BringTheReign_ said:

Thank you so much!!
I can definitely include the original files, I'll update the thingiverse link with my .blends

I'm working on compatibility with the ALPS RKJXM1015004 , just waiting for a batch to arrive and then I will update the trim hat and thumb rocker housing, other than that I think everything is pretty much good to go!

You're a legend.  I just realised I haven't ordered the hat switch yet so I'll hold off and spend a bit of time troubleshooting/yelling at my Ender 3 and it's weird hatred of PETG.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Almost ready for the F-4. Just some 3x40 screws and the 5pin plug missing, but in the mail. 

I really dig the recommended switches. For the 5 way I had do adjust the Trim Hat, but the feel is just great, I might even consider the buttons and hat better than some of the commercial products I own.

IMG_20230201_081431.jpg

IMG_20230201_081441.jpg

Edited by Lt_Jaeger
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Lt_Jaeger said:

What do you use for the CM (?) Radar (?) button (the one to the left)

There are a few options, the first is an ALPS switch like the HAT, but the encoder function makes the knurled part spin sometimes. I also posted an alternative switch which uses 4 small and 1 large tact switch which is easier to wire and does not automatically engage the "push" function every time like the alps switch does. I'll be posting a comparison soon as well

• Like 2

image.png

• 2 weeks later...

@_BringTheReign_

How did you ever manage to make the alps "Trim" switch to work as a 5 way. From what I get, the center push is also always on if one of the directions is pushed.

Currently thinking of disable the center button, because it makes setting the trim switch up a pain. Was thinking of getting it to work with joystick gremlin, but did not yet found a solution. 

20230218_125105.jpg

Edited by Lt_Jaeger
  • Like 1

I think that's just a limitation of that kind of alps switch, and you are suppose to use logic in hardware to detect when its just push or its push+direction. Which is a bit of a pain for us if we want to just drop in compatibility with a shift register.

This 8-way from alps I believe doesn't have that issue. It is a different size though so not a drop in replacement.

https://tech.alpsalpine.com/e/products/detail/RKJXM1015004/

Edited by TomVR

• 4 months later...

Hi Folks! I updated the design to include a 5-way Navigation Switch instead of the alps switch, and posted the wiring video! 

On 2/18/2023 at 8:21 AM, Lt_Jaeger said:

@_BringTheReign_

How did you ever manage to make the alps "Trim" switch to work as a 5 way. From what I get, the center push is also always on if one of the directions is pushed.

Currently thinking of disable the center button, because it makes setting the trim switch up a pain. Was thinking of getting it to work with joystick gremlin, but did not yet found a solution. 

20230218_125105.jpg

I have no idea how I missed this post.... this looks AWESOME! Living the dream with the force feedback base!! I am still on the waiting list hahaha

I revised the build to use one of these instead and updated the thingiverse page! Thru-hole 5-way Navigation switch : ID 504 : $1.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

• Like 2

image.png

I will look into it.

I managed to make the center press work, but only by a strech.

I used joystick gremlin for it, but it was not easy at all, had to fiddle a lot until it worked, which is more of a limitation of the software distinguishing between two simultan button presses. 

• Like 1