Overclockers: Why You Should Undervolt Your Graphics Card.

On 1/9/2023 at 12:58 PM, Burt said:

Well I think it’s mostly for temps and frequency/ throttling. I have been running an undervolt the last few months now that lowered my gpu temps and vram temps and also frequency numbers are higher and stays put.

That's the whole idea; to eliminate the risk of cpu/gpu reaching their thermal limits and throttling back under load, same as for using Cl14 RAM for Ryzen 3/3Ds.

I use PBO2 tuner for the time being, I don't think there is a viable BIOS option for undervolting the AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, so I do it in Windows, it seems to work, although I haven't bothered checking on the exact data for results, the undervolt level is -15v/core and my system is stable even in multi-players missions.

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

Update: 920mV is a bit stable, DCS World crashes in VR, probably for a number of reasons, but I add 10 more mV for safety:

image.png

image.png

Edited by VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

I want to undervolt my RTX3090 (non Ti) in order to get it to use a little bit less power (50 Watts less would be ideal). I assume I can do that by lowering the power curve a little bit to drop the max Mhz and then undervolting it so it can run stable at that speed? Am I getting this right?

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

I want to undervolt my RTX3090 (non Ti) in order to get it to use a little bit less power (50 Watts less would be ideal). I assume I can do that by lowering the power curve a little bit to drop the max Mhz and then undervolting it so it can run stable at that speed? Am I getting this right?

Not quite, find the clock speeds and voltage that you're achieving on stock settings, lower the entire curve as much as possible (using the core clock slider) and then use the curve editor to drag the same clock speed up at a lower voltage.

So if you're achieving 1950mhz @1050mv on stock settings, lower the entire cuve and then select the curve point at 950mv and drag it back up to 1950mhz, hit apply and then it should flatten the curve after 950mv.  Test it, if it's stable and you're happy with the temps/power then try increasing the clock speeds by dragging the same voltage point up by 15-20mhz. Rinse and repeat till you find the sweetspot balance of power, heat and performance.

My asus 3080ti TUF on stock clocks boosts up to about 1800-1850mhz whilst pumping up to 1080mv into it, with a 975mv undervolt I can set the clocks to 2040mhz and it sits there pretty consistently and temps are around 65°C.

• Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

7 hours ago, Lurker said:

Try one of these two (or similar) on your RTX3090 (non Ti) using MSI Afterburner.:

1830 Mhz core frequency @ 825mv
or
1890 Mhz core frequency @ 850mv

Set also the power limit at 107% with MSI Afterburner (don't worry, it won't overheat or consume more -quite on the contrary- it's just for safe margin).
If necessary to adjust core values for whatever reason, decrease/increase in steps of 15 Mhz, in the core clocks graph curve of MSI Afterburner.

You can also overclock your memory upto 1312 Mhz (that's 20.992 Gbps effective). Note that the stock memory is 1219 Mhz (19.5 Gbps effective).
So, that translates to +748 in the memory value with MSI Afterburner.
Doing this puts it right in the ballpark for what Micron GDDR6X is rated for from factory (21.0 Gbps effective) - good gains added, no stability issues.

From there on, it's all diminishing returns. I went through an entire month testing every imaginary combo of RTX3090 undervolting (higher and lower), and those values are certainly the sweetest spot (fully stable, cool and performant) that I've stress tested in benchmarks and games so far (also DCS) - at least with my EVGA RTX3090 FTW Ultra.

Expect very small but noticeable performance gains (~5%), all the while you're running far lower voltage (~100W less) and quite a bit cooler (over 10ºC cooler). 😉 

For example, with Heaven Benchmark @1080P Ultra...

• All stock settings: score 5840 (+/-), 430W peak GPU Power, 90Cº Mem Junction temp (highest overall temp)
  • After Undervolting (1890 core / 1312 mem @ 850mv)score 6150 (+), 340W peak GPU Power, 78Cº Mem Junction temp (highest overall temp)

It's a "Win Win" !! 🙂 

FWIW, a very quick tutorial on "how to undervolt":

Edited by LucShep
added video
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

I’m really liking my 3090 undervolt and have been running it for 2 months now. I find it for some reason more stable when msi-af is running in the background when playing dcs. 

-200 on the core clock - 950mv to 1935mhz 

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

Im a complete retard. Please, for the love of god where is the "confim button" on the MSI Afterburner Curve page? I can drop the curve to my desired clock speed, but when I need to raise the dots to my desired voltage I can't figure out what key to press?

In the video above he says "press confirm" press what to confirm? Also google seems to be clueless and MSI's homepage is even more useless in this regard. 

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Im a complete retard. Please, for the love of god where is the "confim button" on the MSI Afterburner Curve page? I can drop the curve to my desired clock speed, but when I need to raise the dots to my desired voltage I can't figure out what key to press?

In the video above he says "press confirm" press what to confirm? Also google seems to be clueless and MSI's homepage is even more useless in this regard. 

There is no confirm button. Just go back to AB's main window and click "Apply". (1)

Don't forget to save the new Preset. (2) and (3)

image.png

Edited by tomcat_driver
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to post a thank you to the people who have helped me out in this here thread. Thanks! 

Quick question, I just downloaded new nvidia drivers, do I need to go through the whole procedure again or do I just reload my profile? Will it reload my profile automatically on reboot? Thanks again!

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Just wanted to post a thank you to the people who have helped me out in this here thread. Thanks! 

Quick question, I just downloaded new nvidia drivers, do I need to go through the whole procedure again or do I just reload my profile? Will it reload my profile automatically on reboot? Thanks again!

With Afterburner? No the Nvidia-Driver update doesn't make any action neccessary.

• Thanks 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"