[VR] Multiplayer Server list refresh causes INSANE nauseating lag

bukizzzz

This has been an issue ever since I first bought a headset and it is UNACCEPTABLE!!

Do you really expect consumers to suffer through this headache-inducing absolute mess every time one wants to play on a MP server? There isn't even a way to stop refreshing the list after a desired server has been loaded (which is not a solution anyways)

Stop ignoring the problem.

Screen cap included below although everyone can reproduce this because everyone is affected

Full specs if needed:

3700x, no OC; 2x8 GB 2666 Mhz @ 3200Mhz; B550 Aorus Elite V2; 3080 Aorus Master 10 GB; Reverb G2 rev 2; 

PS. sorry for the harsh tone but I've seen people mention this on the forums every few days for the past number of months with no fix

Nvidia Control Panel.png

DCS Settings.png

OpenXR Tools.png

2023-01-11 17-04-17.mkv DxDiag.txt dcs.log dcs.log.old

Edited by bukizzzz

1 hour ago, bukizzzz said:

Do you really expect consumers to suffer through this headache-inducing absolute mess every time one wants to play on a MP server? There isn't even a way to stop refreshing the list after a desired server has been loaded (which is not a solution anyways)

The time it takes this list to refresh I’m sure has more to do with your internet connection than PC hardware. It even takes me some time with fast broadband and the specs below. You can actually select favorites by clicking on the star symbol. That speeds things up. There’s also a search field, filters etc. 

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

9 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

The time it takes this list to refresh I’m sure has more to do with your internet connection than PC hardware. It even takes me some time with fast broadband and the specs below.

I think you misunderstood the post, but to answer the claim I have a 300mbps down speed via fiber (for reference the server list data should be in the kilobytes)
Best would be if you take a look at the  .mkv attached

You can actually select favorites by clicking on the star symbol. That speeds things up. There’s also a search field. 

That's not how it works. Even if you select a Favourites only filter it still loads all servers in the background. It's purely a visual filter

AFAIK the server list loads 60 seconds per refresh and there is no way to stop it or load only some desired servers

Edited by bukizzzz

8 minutes ago, bukizzzz said:

I think you misunderstood the post, but to answer the claim I have a 300mbps down speed via fiber

I have 200mbps. The server list refresh time could be faster I suppose but it’s not bothersome. Maybe just don’t look at it in VR while it’s loading. 

10 minutes ago, bukizzzz said:

That's not how it works. Even if you select a Favourites only filter it still loads all servers in the background. It's purely a visual filter

Seems to make things faster for me. I haven’t paid much attention to the time. 

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

33 minutes ago, bukizzzz said:

Maybe devs should fix a game breaking bug in one of the most expensive games on the market.

I don’t know if waiting a few seconds is “game breaking”. How about just closing your eyes in VR if It’s bothersome. 

Edited by SharpeXB

@bukizzzz,

Hi I am sorry I am not toally sure what the problem is? does the screen do wierd things while waiting for the servers to populate in VR?? I have VR and not sure what you see here and I am trying to understand, but what I see does not seem to be game breaking to me?

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4-AC / Intel i7 11700K @ 5.0Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVME 2TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar  / Buttkicker Gamer 2

37 minutes ago, The_Nephilim said:

does the screen do wierd things while waiting for the servers to populate in VR??

The GPU stops rendering frames as shown in the performance graph in the .mkv
What you can't see in the video is every time the frame time spikes the in-hmd screens turn black. It happens 100 times in a 60 second span. I'd call that game breaking. I don't know any other game with a non-functioning main menu, especially a game I paid multiple hundreds of dollars for.

Edit: I think its even worse for SteamVR users, instead of black screens they get the SteamVR "Loading..." thing every time

40 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

I don’t know if waiting a few seconds is “game breaking”. How about just closing your eyes in VR if It’s bothersome. 

Insane that some of you people will pay 500$+ to the developers and not even expect a working menu. Mindblowing

Edited by bukizzzz

5 hours ago, bukizzzz said:

Now that I tested it I do see a frame rate drop as that list populates although it’s not noticeable in 2D. Turning on the favorites filter does alleviate it though. 

8 hours ago, bukizzzz said:

The GPU stops rendering frames as shown in the performance graph in the .mkv
What you can't see in the video is every time the frame time spikes the in-hmd screens turn black. It happens 100 times in a 60 second span. I'd call that game breaking. I don't know any other game with a non-functioning main menu, especially a game I paid multiple hundreds of dollars for.

Edit: I think its even worse for SteamVR users, instead of black screens they get the SteamVR "Loading..." thing every time

Insane that some of you people will pay 500$+ to the developers and not even expect a working menu. Mindblowing

well I think I see what you are saying as I DL the MKV and played it. I do not have that issue with my PC. maybe something else is going on here>? my screen does not blank out everytime a server loads in the list.. 

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4-AC / Intel i7 11700K @ 5.0Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVME 2TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar  / Buttkicker Gamer 2

9 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

Now that I tested it I do see a frame rate drop as that list populates although it’s not noticeable in 2D. Turning on the favorites filter does alleviate it though. 

2D users are not affected by this. It seems as if the rendering pipeline gets clogged by server info requests. Im assuming it happens only in VR purely due to having to render 2x 4K displays instead of 2K or 4K monitor at worst

8 hours ago, The_Nephilim said:

well I think I see what you are saying as I DL the MKV and played it. I do not have that issue with my PC. maybe something else is going on here>? my screen does not blank out everytime a server loads in the list.. 

Interesting. I'm not very well versed in ED's engine so I don't know/wanna tinker with it. Can confirm at least 10 other people with the same problem. Hopefully someone from ED has a simple solution to this prehistoric problem @NineLine @BIGNEWY

It is very good that you're not affected, that means there's a either driver or cfg or similar problem, so it gives me hope that it's  fixable but let's see what the devs say

Edited by bukizzzz

• ED Team

We need to be patient and wait for multithreading for now. 

thanks

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

4 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

We need to be patient and wait for multithreading for now. 

thanks

thought so as well but now i'm not convinced. @The_Nephilim claims he doesn't  have the same problem so it can't be an engine limitation. (Unless it's headset specific which would be very weird but explains it)

Edited by bukizzzz

• ED Team

I have asked the team about this, if I find something I will let you know. 

thanks

Just to add, when you set the DSR values to default / off do you still see the problem?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

12 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

I have asked the team about this, if I find something I will let you know. 

thanks

Just to add, when you set the DSR values to default / off do you still see the problem?

I'm gonna have to get back to you on that one in a couple hours; Tried over TeamViewer instead: DSR to Off, OpenXR NIS also to Off - same problem (according to the performance graph)
Will try again when I get home just in case

Thanks so much for looking into it

Edited by bukizzzz

21 hours ago, bukizzzz said:

Maybe devs should fix a game breaking bug in one of the most expensive games on the market.

It's hardly a game breaking issue, but an actual solution would be for the server browser to use pagination and only load the next batch of servers as you scroll down. At the moment it loads everything which causes, as you say, a horrible lag that is visible on 2D and VR.

1 hour ago, ColinM9991 said:

It's hardly a game breaking issue

I mean if Fortnite had a 90fps max and 0fps min oscillating I'm sure it would be considered a broken game.
I think we should hold all games and developers to the same standard. Sure DCS is a much more  complicated game made by a studio that's probably 1/100th the size of most AAA title devs but that doesn't excuse them from ignoring bugs present since forever now. The dev team might be smaller but the price of the product is definitely not.

In my opinion It is a consumer's duty to apply pressure to the developers/manufacturers to enhance or fix the product.

Edited by bukizzzz

This has been a problem since I first started playing DCS in VR over a year ago. You can mostly alleviate this by ticking the "favourite" box when refreshing the server list, and just make sure to favourite the servers you're interested in.

But yeah, this is just what the game does in my experience. You can get some similar stuff going on during loading as well, it's a minor inconvenience.

Edited by MoleUK
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, bukizzzz said:

I think we should hold all games and developers to the same standard.

I agree. I work in the industry and it irritates me when excuses are made for poor quality. However, considering this issue has been here since the dawn of time, I think it's better to also temper your expectations on this being resolved.