Modern air bases, an idea

Bog9y

Hi Ugra media,

I'm looking forward to the upcoming Normandy 2 map. 

One idea I had that may attract more customers is to build an add on to the map that adds a few air bases from the 70s/80s/90s era. I think this would attract cold war era players who may be looking for the Fulda gap map.

You could keep the scenery across the map the same but just build a few modern air bases. There are plenty of notorious cold war bases in that part of England and France. 

Just an idea.... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

No thanks.

Modern era maps:

1. Caucasus
  2. Persian Gulf
  3. Syria
  4. Nevada
  5. Marianas
  6. South Atlantic

WW2 maps:

1. Channel
  2. Normandy

As a DCS:WW2 user I don't want to see modern airfields on a historical map - there are a great number of modern maps that you can use for modern scenarios, leave the WW2 maps as authentic as they can be.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DD_Fenrir said:

No thanks.

Modern era maps:

1. Caucasus
  2. Persian Gulf
  3. Syria
  4. Nevada
  5. Marianas
  6. South Atlantic

WW2 maps:

1. Channel
  2. Normandy

As a DCS:WW2 user I don't want to see modern airfields on a historical map - there are a great number of modern maps that you can use for modern scenarios, leave the WW2 maps as authentic as they can be.

You didn't read properly what I wrote. I said to have modern bases as an ADD ON option. 

Of course keep the map as a WW2 map but I think it would be cool to have an add on that people could buy to have modern bases replace some WW2 fields. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Bog9y said:

You didn't read properly what I wrote. I said to have modern bases as an ADD ON option. 

Of course keep the map as a WW2 map but I think it would be cool to have an add on that people could buy to have modern bases replace some WW2 fields. 

Okay, apologies, I missed that.

Not against that idea but given the development time needed to do that work, wouldn't it be better spent developing an actual Fulda Gap map...?

If the Red Army had got to Paris, NATO would have been in a pretty parlous state by that point - and given that the Normandy 2 Paris is at the very Eastern fringe of the map the scope for plausible hypothetical scenarios in Western France is a bit thin.

Plus the fact that most of the airfields in the Southern UK were mothballed by the Cold War. Only Northolt, Odiham, Manston and Biggin Hill (and these last two aren't in the detailed area) would have been active operational fields within the map boundaries in the 80's (which I assume is the period you're looking to?). I imagine a similar situation for the French airfields.

Again, seems a pointless effort. Keep pushing for Fulda proper I say.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/7/2023 at 4:48 PM, DD_Fenrir said:

Okay, apologies, I missed that.

Not against that idea but given the development time needed to do that work, wouldn't it be better spent developing an actual Fulda Gap map...?

If the Red Army had got to Paris, NATO would have been in a pretty parlous state by that point - and given that the Normandy 2 Paris is at the very Eastern fringe of the map the scope for plausible hypothetical scenarios in Western France is a bit thin.

Plus the fact that most of the airfields in the Southern UK were mothballed by the Cold War. Only Northolt, Odiham, Manston and Biggin Hill (and these last two aren't in the detailed area) would have been active operational fields within the map boundaries in the 80's (which I assume is the period you're looking to?). I imagine a similar situation for the French airfields.

Again, seems a pointless effort. Keep pushing for Fulda proper I say.

Both Manston & Biggin Hill were pretty much non-military by 1960.  Odiham I don't think has hosted fighters since about then either.  Northolt I'm not sure has since the war, bar temporary QRA deployments.

7 minutes ago, bfr said:

Both Manston & Biggin Hill were pretty much non-military by 1960.  Odiham I don't think has hosted fighters since about then either.  Northolt I'm not sure has since the war, bar temporary QRA deployments.

Yeah, I should have said "active" rather than "operational". If the Cold War had gone hot and the Soviets got as far as Eastern France though, these would have been the only bases even vaguely able to support military aircraft.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DD_Fenrir said:

Yeah, I should have said "active" rather than "operational". If the Cold War had gone hot and the Soviets got as far as Eastern France though, these would have been the only bases even vaguely able to support military aircraft.

Yeah, that's fair.

I vaguely remember the old Jane's ATF series had a channel region map that was fun for hypothetical Cold War meets BoB 2.0 scenarios, so I can see the appeal to the OP. Although with the DCS map it'd be hard to get immersion even with adding modern bases when the rest of the map is still very much 1940s era.

On 1/14/2023 at 3:31 PM, Bog9y said:

Hi Ugra media,

I'm looking forward to the upcoming Normandy 2 map. 

One idea I had that may attract more customers is to build an add on to the map that adds a few air bases from the 70s/80s/90s era. I think this would attract cold war era players who may be looking for the Fulda gap map.

You could keep the scenery across the map the same but just build a few modern air bases. There are plenty of notorious cold war bases in that part of England and France. 

Just an idea.... 

Completely agree! 🙂

+1

Edited by Laurion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, bfr said:

Odiham was hosting Chinooks when I was there in 2008.

Unloading the display team's runabout from a show they were at.

_DSC0115sm.JPG

• Like 2

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

15 minutes ago, Alicatt said:

Odiham was hosting Chinooks when I was there in 2008.

Unloading the display team's runabout from a show they were at.

_DSC0115sm.JPG

Yes, it's still a very busy base for helos but hasn't been a base for fixed wing aircraft for a great many years.

7 minutes ago, bfr said:

Yes, it's still a very busy base for helos but hasn't been a base for fixed wing aircraft for a great many years.

There were basic trainers there and plenty of air exercises going on, but as you say no fighters, The police kept helos there too. 

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

I was also thinking that Lakenheath would be very popular for the F15 Strike Eagle guys. Bentwaters for the A-10 folks.

Not sure about bases for that part of England for Typhoon and former F4 squadrons. 

Either way, I will use this map with modern jets. May just need to use mods to give the base a modern day feel. 

I dont really care about the 40s style roads and buildings. Can't really see that detail when screaming around low level at 500 kts.  😈

On 1/14/2023 at 3:31 PM, Bog9y said:

Fulda gap map.

1. Based on WT / WoT experience typical tank battle terrains are Alps, Jungle or highly urbanized terrain.
2. How big is going to be actually new Normandy? Because Fulda gap lies between Eisenach and Frankfurt a.M. ... It's not in France.