The shine of headlights is not visible in real life with IR cams

GKOver

In DCS the shines of the headlights of the cars are clearly visible. 

But in real life they aren‘t. Especially not with Xenon or LED headlights.

They would only be visible if the headlights would have so much IR energy that they would warm up the street while driving on it.

I have also checkes that with a HIKMicro Pocket 2 (40mK thermal sensitivity) and with Halogen headlights ……

Edited by GKOver
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I always thought this ia a flight simulation.

• Like 1

What goes up, must come down !

Intel Core i7-8700, 16 GB-RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060, 6 GB GDDR5, 1TB HDD, 500 GB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD, Windows 10/64, A10-C, Rhino X55, Persian Golf, F/A-18 Hornet

• ED Team
В 22.01.2023 в 17:38, GKOver сказал:

In DCS the shines of the headlights of the cars are clearly visible. 

Could you say, what cars you mean?

Единственный урок, который можно извлечь из истории, состоит в том, что люди не извлекают из истории никаких уроков. (С) Джордж Бернард Шоу

• GKOver changed the title to The shine of headlights is not visible in real life with IR cams
  • ED Team
36 минут назад, GKOver сказал:

All kind of cars.

The headlights are not infrared lasers…. 🙂

Therefore the beam itself is not visible with IR / thermal cameras.

Could you please share the screenshot

Единственный урок, который можно извлечь из истории, состоит в том, что люди не извлекают из истории никаких уроков. (С) Джордж Бернард Шоу

On 3/1/2023 at 7:46 AM, Chizh said:

Could you please share the screenshot

I have uploaded 5 photos made with the thermal sensor of a HikMicro Pocket2 (thermal sensitivity 40 mK) and added their belonging 5 VISUAL photos (also black and white).
They were made in the night (-10 C coldness) after a 30 minute drive wit this car (Skoda Roomster with Halogen headlights) and parking with switched-on headlamps for 2 minutes.

-> As you can see: the headlights can't warm up the wall in front of the car and there is no beam visible. (Xenon or LED headlights are even colder than Halogen.)
Of course, from a longer distance the thermal sensitivity and resolution will get much less.

(May be that such a beam would be visible while heavy rain or snow fall under very special circumstances and a small distance.)

I don't think that this behavior depends on the map.

Thermo20221227180956_VIS.jpegThermo20221227180956.jpegThermo20221227180950_VIS.jpegThermo20221227180950.jpegThermo20221227180946_VIS.jpegThermo20221227180946.jpegThermo20221227180942_VIS.jpegThermo20221227180942.jpegThermo20221227181003_VIS.jpeg

Thermo20221227181003.jpeg

Edited by GKOver
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Since I've made a video clip on YT showing the 'IR jamming' by lit up area of street lights and car headlights quite a while back...  I'm happy to be the first one to report that the problem has been fixed :clap:  .  in ST version of DCS (which I currently use), not sure about MT.   Ref. PG map.

Edited by oldcrusty
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

You do understand that cars of the past (which, depending on the time of the mission in DCS could be realistic) had incandescent lights. Incandescent lights used tungsten filaments that are heated up to 4600F (around 2500c) which will produce significant IR. Some cars still use those, and military vehicles old enough to be in DCS certainly had them.

23 hours ago, Napillo said:

You do understand that cars of the past (which, depending on the time of the mission in DCS could be realistic) had incandescent lights. Incandescent lights used tungsten filaments that are heated up to 4600F (around 2500c) which will produce significant IR. Some cars still use those, and military vehicles old enough to be in DCS certainly had them.

Around the immediate area of the lamps, not as a reflection on the surface 30m away. 

I'm currently on vacation from DCS so I'm not sure what's going on in that department, MT or ST.

Edited by oldcrusty
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2023 at 8:57 PM, Napillo said:

The IR photos which I have posted are made with a Skoda which still has classic headlights (with tungsten). With other classic headlights it is also the same.

With halogen filled lights the temperatures can reach up to 3000+ Kelvin.

Edited by GKOver
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Same issue with lighthouses. Beams are visible in IR even during the day with hot ambient temperature and direct sun.

DCS 2.9.1.48335 Open Beta MT.

DCS World_20231126_145552_R.jpg

Lighthouse_IR.miz

Edited by Pyrocumulous
add DCS version
  • Thanks 1

Pimax Crystal, Asus ProArt X670E-Creator, Ryzen 7950X3D, 64gb DDR5, RTX 4090 FE, Magic Trackpad 3, Warthog HOTAS, Warthog Throttle and TPR pedals.

• 4 weeks later...