G" users - query regarding cable seating

markturner1960

So I have a new G2, with the new cable ( Old G2 is now on the Helo sim rig). It all worked perfectly out of the box until this week, when I started to get some issues, such as sudden cut outs, cable error messages. 

Being well aware of the issues with the old cable and the importance of full seating and connection, when I installed the cable, I made sure there was slack to allow the headband to swivel and also carefully taped the cable in position, so it should not move. However, its obviously still moving a bit and enough to cause issues. 

Have any fellow users here got any ideas as to how to properly secure the bloody thing that wont invalidate a warranty etc? Its a really stupid design, I dont see why the cable cant be factory attached or with some kind of clip lock system to keep it firmly connected.........

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

I Broke 2 cables already and fortunately they were covered by the warranty. I'm uncovered now but I've been using this configuration that I found on internet for several months and I still didn't had any issue.

If you use the "normal" way the cable suffers every time you put the glasses on or you pull them up to see the keyboard. With this configuration there's no strain around the connector.

Will it work forever? I don't know, but I can confirm you that using how the manual specifies I broke 2 cables.

index.jpg

Edited by -Dagger-

Here's my set up....

nullThe red line is the G2 cable routing which places no stress on the connection. it is held in place by the counterweight in the back which came with this (green lines)...

https://www.studioformcreative.com/product-page/reverb-g2-pro-balance-enthusiast-kit-200-gram-7-oz

I find the counterweight to make things much more comfortable when flying for more than an hour.  fwiw the stuff on the top of the g2 visor is a pointctrl and there is a leap bracket on the front (currently not used, i'm just not very proficient with it...)

20230123_084613 (2).jpg

Just put a zip tie on the back. That will relieve stress on the little plastic clip. I use the fuzzy Velcro ones so that it's comfortable and is easy to remove.

Edit - similar to @-Dagger-above but on the back instead of the side. Either way should work depending on which side of your chair you want the cable to fall.

Edited by unlikely_spider

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

Thanks all, useful, I have re routed so its not attached to the pivoting frame

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Ignore the HP instructions to route it outside, over the top of the left hand frame, every time you pivot the hinge it kinks the cable.  I run mine inside and below the left frame the radius it bends to is much less ; the solution by @-Dagger- is nice as well as it isolates the movement of the cable.

Check the plug is fully seated into its socket, there is a little indented spot on the top face of the plug, this should be conincident with the casing, if it's no then the plug isn't fully home.

Edited by edmuss

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

If you poke around, you'll find a lot of people complaining about those cables (including me, I'm on my third, and I have seen at least another half dozen since then complaining about the same stuff). They are terrible. Expect to have to replace them semi-frequently. You can reduce this as others have suggested by running it in a way as to avoid stressing the cable at any one particular point. I looped it on top of my head basically, so it has a bit of extra slack, and if ''bottomed out'' through normal movement does not become excessively pinched or unplugged.

But they do suck, and these are ''mitigation steps'' rather than cures.

Edited by Mars Exulte

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Thanks all....stupid thing is, you literally cant buy the bloody things....I tried and was told HP simply dont have any, only way to get one is buy a new headset.....what kind of bollox is that? 

Edited by markturner1960

5 hours ago, markturner1960 said:

Thanks all....stupid thing is, you literally cant buy the bloody things....I tried and was told HP simply dont have any, only way to get one is buy a new headset.....what kind of bollox is that? 

Hewlett Packard bollox, that's what. I'm pretty sure we bought a dead end product =D My Rift S worked great, just low res, flew a lot. Bought this PoS and it's been a nuisance ever since.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2