DCS F:14 Speed & Angels Campaign Info

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to fly an actual Tomcat in combat?  To feel the pressure of the moment, the skills you learned so very recently bouncing around in your head as you're racing toward an angry bandit with 1000 knots of closure?  To press into danger after a wingman evaporates from a missile hit?  To engage a 4th generation fighter loaded to the gills with deadly missiles and 30mm rounds?  Have you ever wondered how you would fare with the weight of the moment resting squarely on your shoulders? 

Come join the Grim Reapers to learn how to fly the Tomcat.  Prepare yourself for combat with ten rigorous RAG training sorties designed to teach you how to properly employ the most famous weapons system to ever take to the skies.  If you graduate by passing all the training missions, including day and night Carrier Quals, you will join the Blacklions on a ship deploying to meet a highly realistic threat scenario over the Marianas. Once you hit the fleet, you will be in the <profanity>, dodging SAMs, striking defended targets, merging with Flankers intent on killing you and your carrier.  You will either use all the skills you learned in the RAG and rise to the challenge of being a front line Tomcat pilot in combat, or disappear in a cloud of hair, teeth, and eyeballs..  There is no middle ground in combat.  Victory or death. 

BUY HERE:
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/campaigns/f-14_speed_and_angels_campaign/

Speed and Angels cover.jpg

MORE INFO:

SYLLABUS:

GRADING SYSTEM:

Edited by Reflected
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Excited to get into this, and in awe of the hard work that it must have taken to get it to this point. One question though that I couldn't quite determine from the description - due to the F10 options during multiple points in the missions - are we able to "save" progress and jump in at that point sometime later, or is it still required that we finish each mission in one sitting?

(just for time planning purposes)

I'm correct that a full playthrough of each mission is likely about 1.5 to 2 hours?

Also - I'm a real-life student pilot and am ready to be completely humbled by this campaign. I recently completed the Kursant campaign (recommended!) in the L-39, but it seems this one may take the intensity level to whole new heights. After reading some comments here, I'm not sure I should be planning to show my grade sheets to my CFI 😆

Edited by unlikely_spider

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

6 hours ago, unlikely_spider said:

Excited to get into this, and in awe of the hard work that it must have taken to get it to this point. One question though that I couldn't quite determine from the description - due to the F10 options during multiple points in the missions - are we able to "save" progress and jump in at that point sometime later, or is it still required that we finish each mission in one sitting?

(just for time planning purposes)

That's a really good question! If you fail a mission (don't complete) and you exit, the DCS campaign engine won't let you pick up from the last phase you started. It's too simplistic for that.

BUT: you can always go to the campaign's folder, open the mission (exercise) you last started, and go from there. Once you complete, you go to the DCS campaign menu and skip the mission to get to the next one.

I never really cared about campaign scores, the results that matter are your grades, but you'll get them anyway, and you record those outside of DCS in your excel.

6 hours ago, unlikely_spider said:

I'm correct that a full playthrough of each mission is likely about 1.5 to 2 hours?

If you fly without time acceleration, and you don't retry any of the tasks, they're around 1,5 hours tops.

Best of luck with the campaign, it's for sure a "no bullsh*t" training, it wasn't designed to please the average DCS player, it was designed to replicate the real world F-14 RAG as accurately as possible. You'll learn a lot for sure!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

vor 47 Minuten schrieb Reflected:

BUT: you can always go to the campaign's folder, open the mission (exercise) you last started, and go from there. Once you complete, you go to the DCS campaign menu and skip the mission to get to the next one.

I did that with mission 6, and it worked very well. It even let me jump to the next set (via F10 menu) without having to quit and manually load the next one.

• Thanks 1

All missions completed.

Personal Rating: 4.5/5

Most impressive for me: fantastic voice acting by great former US Navy aviators, very very moved me and I felt the truly love for US Navy and Tomcat.

The reason of 0.5 minus: DCS mechanism faults or BUGs make some mission process not go well, not for the campaign itself.

BIG thank you for great work of Reflect Simulations and enthusiastic Naval aviators. Love Tomcat, Love Navy.

• Thanks 1

The idea is really nice. And I appreciate all hard work that was put into those missions. It's amazing work and puts DCS to it's limits. The execution, however is what suffers. And it's not really author's fault, it's something that you simply can't do things in believable and coherent fashion in DCS. The limits are still pretty narrow. Despite excellent briefings there are still many unknowns that await you when you're flying. 

It's beautiful and engaging, yet quite frustrating especially after doing similar exercises with humans online.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

• 1 year later...