Incorrect weight for all wingtip payload

ustio

so in this thread 

. it explain that the smokewinder is too heavy. however i went a bit further to test all of the wingtip payload.

the testing method is simple. have an F-5 with a single asymmetrical wingtip loaded with smokewinder as a baseline and see how the aircraft would react without touching the controls. and then compare it to other wingtip payload. as you can see with the track below, it seems the aircraft react the same way(in terms of roll rate) as the smokewinder when loaded with asymmetrical pylon for every loadout which brings to the conclusion that all of the wingtip payload weight are incorrect.

now if i were to guess, in the original thread, it was found that they input the wrong weight of 200 Kg instead of 92kg, I believe this is a unit error that they assume they put 200 pounds instead of kilo

smokewinder.trk 9b.trk 9p.trk 9p5.trk ACMIpodtrk.trk catm.trk

• Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. I don't understand your testing method. Aircraft will always turn to the non-empty wingtip side, as long as the payload weight is above zero.

I've just checked the weights in the mission editor. They are very close to their real life counterpart:

• AIM-9B weighs 163 lbs in DCS (real one weighs 155 lbs)
  • AIM-9P/9P5 weighs 190 lbs in DCS (real one weighs 190 lbs)
  • "Captive AIM-9M" weighs 190 lbs in DCS. The Captive Air Training "AIM-9M" (CAP-9M) missile being used to simulate the size and weight of a standard missile, let's assume the real one weighs 190 or 191 lbs.

Source: https://www.ausairpower.net/TE-Sidewinder-94.html

I'll report the AIM-9B weight as a very low priority issue (we're talking about a 8 lbs difference here).

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

@ustio I've read your message from the other thread. I guess what you meant was not that weights were incorrect, but rather than the F-5E is overreacting to asymetric payload. I agree, but I'm not sure how to prove this to devs. Any idea?

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

@Flappie

First things first, does the bug report poster claim specifically some sort of timing this issue might have surfarced? That'd be one good piece of information for the devs.

Second, I'd compare using non-wingtip ordnace imbalance. Starting from a configuration that introduces grossly greater (IRL) imbalance compared to the wingtip ordnace scenario.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/13/2023 at 1:42 AM, Flappie said:

I've just asked devs to check the AIM-9 effect on aerodynamics for the following aircraft: F-5E , A-10C, F-16C, and F/A-18C.

What was the outcome? F-5 and F-16 are both noticeably degraded by having AIM-9 on the wingtips, and AFAIK, the F-16 is degraded regardless of which station it is on. There is too much drag from the missile.

The drag problem also affects other weapons, and pylons. The JF-17 has a particularly bad time with dual pylons and missiles, as the combined excess drag is huge.

Edited by Tiger-II

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."