Track Wingman / Friendlies on the HMD/HUD

RafaPolit

Good afternoon friends.

I am wondering how to mimic a functionality on the F-16 that I don't know how to do on the F/A-18.  Maybe what I am missing is the terminology for it, for I hope you guys can help.

In the F-16, I can SOI the HSI and TMS Forward on my Wingman and that would display his position on my HMD, even if he is beyond visual range.  I will see it like an octagon to differentiate if from the other types of "lock".

This works not only for wingmen, but also for enemies.  The great advantage of this is that I can rely on AWACs info to keep tags on situational location of a specific thing I want to track.  I use this for wingman, for tankers, for enemies I want to keep a "secondary eye" on.

So far, I have failed miserably at reproducing this behavior in the Hornet.  On the SA I can hover over a contact and see their angels, but I cannot "lock" them to render a "circle" or "octagon" or "square" in the Helmet display.

Thanks for any insight or any alternatives to achieve a similar thing, best regards,

Rafa.

I'm Dragon in the Multiplayer servers.

PPLI and HAFU trackfile indicators are automatically present in the HMD, but the HUD doesn't provide these cues. Flight members will have an alpha character (A, B, C, D), but can only be currently grouped in the editor.

On the HMD page, you can change the range and priority of displayed contacts from the MIDS submenu (defaults to 35nmi).

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

Thanks for the answer.  I'll have a look.  I was hoping it was more of a "what I pick" solution rather than "what the HMD decides to show".  Because my solution to the tanker or keeping an eye on a low enemy helicopter will not work with this approach.

Thanks again, I'll report back once I have had a chance to test it.

I'm Dragon in the Multiplayer servers.

In addition to the regular priority list (7 tracks shown at most, btw), the HMD will also always display the track you have under the TDC or have selected with STEP, on th SA page. That track will have an asterisk next to it. So. if you want to always have an eye on the tanker, select it with STEP. The only issue is that STEP will exit if you want to slew the TDC on the SA again, and oftentimes deactivates by itself after a while.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

3 hours ago, RafaPolit said:

Thanks for the answer.  I'll have a look.  I was hoping it was more of a "what I pick" solution rather than "what the HMD decides to show".  Because my solution to the tanker or keeping an eye on a low enemy helicopter will not work with this approach.

Thanks again, I'll report back once I have had a chance to test it.

You can always filter what the HMD should present to you as well in order to set up a better solution for your needs. That said: when you L&S the tanker it will take priority and be shown, same as with the Helo. And if both of those are filtered due to range / other priorities then you honestly dont need it in the HMDs view, yet, tbqh.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

9 hours ago, Harker said:

In addition to the regular priority list (7 tracks shown at most, btw), the HMD will also always display the track you have under the TDC or have selected with STEP, on th SA page. That track will have an asterisk next to it. So. if you want to always have an eye on the tanker, select it with STEP. The only issue is that STEP will exit if you want to slew the TDC on the SA again, and oftentimes deactivates by itself after a while.

STEP + EXP seems to track better, but of course limits SA.