Question about using RADAR

skypickle

On p139 of the manual where it discusses the use of radar to obtain position fixes for Bx6-9, there is a gray box with the following text:

CAUTION: Fix on a point that is a not a target waypoint and that is
not a RB 15 waypoint will result in an own position fix, which affects
the entire navigation system

What does this mean? It sounds like it is referring to a radar fix to eliminate drift error (Chuck's guide section 13.2)

The usual procedure for radar fix:

AKT/POS, OUT, B1 to 9, then radar to T1, slew cursor to location, TV fix

This results in the entire navigation system being realigned and INS drift removed. However, my understanding is that if I use  an RB15 waypoint (Bx6-9), the fix simply ADDS a  navigation waypoint for the RB15. 

What is the net result of using M1 and then doing a radar fix? Does it MOVE the previous M1 location to the new location? How do I use radar to generate a NEW M1 if I dont have any in the flight plan?

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal

41 minutes ago, skypickle said:

What is the net result of using M1 and then doing a radar fix? Does it MOVE the previous M1 location to the new location?

yes

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

43 minutes ago, skypickle said:

On p139 of the manual where it discusses the use of radar to obtain position fixes for Bx6-9, there is a gray box with the following text:

CAUTION: Fix on a point that is a not a target waypoint and that is
not a RB 15 waypoint will result in an own position fix, which affects
the entire navigation system

What does this mean?

This is just a reminder not to forget about the different kind of fixes: NAV fix, TARGET fix.
If you are planning for making a target fix at waypoint 6 (e.g. because your radar is spotting ground targets), you should make sure the waypoint is a M-point (TARGET point M6).
Otherwise, when making a fix on waypoint B6 (normal navigation waypoint), you would then shift you whole flightplan.

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

51 minutes ago, skypickle said:

How do I use radar to generate a NEW M1 if I dont have any in the flight plan?

Theoretically speaking, this is the procedure for making a target fix on a certain position when there is no waypoint 7 defined, neither in the ME, nor in the DTC.
.) While flying, go REF LOLA > IN and enter 111111 111111 and hit B7 button.
.) Then you change it to a target point by using TAKT > IN, enter digit 9 and hit B7 button.
.) Then, go REF LOLA > OUT, and in the vicinity of the targets (during approaching target) simply press T1 and then TV, which makes a target fix at that exakt location where you are at that moment
.) Then you can use the radar to make a new target fix for that waypoint in front of you (the cross in the radar display then can be moved around, despite the target is behind you).

my computer:

Bx1-Bx5 will result in a nav fix, just like doing a nav fix on a B point. Only difference is that the system will not make you fly over them automatically.
The use for these is if there's a good fix point along the planned route (that will be within the radar's FOV), but that is not something you want to fly past, you can use the non-RB15 waypoints (Bx1-Bx5) to make a nav fix.

So something like: You're 60km from B3 and flying toward it, and it's critical you hit it it exactly or enemy radars will spot you (or whatever...). You're aware that you have some drift and that you have Bx1 on your 2o'clock at 40km. So to fix the drift you select Bx1 and turn on the radar. You see the fix location where Bx1 should be, and make a fix. Boom you've fixed the drift. After the fix you just select B3 again and continue on just as planned.

I find them quite useful when flying over sea and gathering drift fairly quickly. Just pop Bx point(s) along the coast and do fixes once in a while, and you can keep flying the planned sea trip fairly accurately. Just select the Bx point that will be visible on radar and do a fix, then just switch back to the B point and continue on.

Edited by MYSE1234
  • Like 2

Viggen is love. Viggen is life.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-10700K @ 5GHz | RTX 2070 OC | 32GB 3200MHz RAM |

1 hour ago, TOViper said:

Theoretically speaking, this is the procedure for making a target fix on a certain position when there is no waypoint 7 defined, neither in the ME, nor in the DTC.
.) While flying, go REF LOLA > IN and enter 111111 111111 and hit B7 button.
.) Then you change it to a target point by using TAKT > IN, enter digit 9 and hit B7 button.
.) Then, go REF LOLA > OUT, and in the vicinity of the targets (during approaching target) simply press T1 and then TV, which makes a target fix at that exakt location where you are at that moment
.) Then you can use the radar to make a new target fix for that waypoint in front of you (the cross in the radar display then can be moved around, despite the target is behind you).

Or alternatively, you can use SPA mode to mark targets.

12 hours ago, LazyBoot said:

Or alternatively, you can use SPA mode to mark targets.

This is good advice.  When I started exploring SPA mode a while back, it was easy to make fixes, but it took me a long time to figure out how to select my SPA targets for attack.

- In SPA mode, press the keypad number of the fix you took.  For example, if you took 3 fixes, you created recon points M1, M2, and M3, and you can select them by pressing 1, 2, or 3 while in SPA mode -- not B1, B2, B3.

- Then you can switch to NAV or ANF and the destination will remain the same.

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."