Quest Pro vs G2 Impressions - 4090/7950x3D

DirtyMike0330

I use a 3rd party one, costed me less than £19.00. -- see my thread for details.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

The contents of DCS World are so overwhelming to me: so many things to try, so many things to revisit. For now, whining about new products being late does not make much sense.

One thing - I flew a bit in the night on WWII fighters and unfortunately this is probably the weakest point of Quest Pro. The clouds look very bad (in DCS), as if there were no proper RGB colors, there are such spots on dark colors , but in G2 the night in DCS looks better (although there are worse colors) and no quality drops. This is the weakest point of QP, as long as the day / evening is ok (colors, contrast), then the full black night / clouds especially unfortunately look bad. 🤪

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

That is not my experience. I came from G2 to QPro. Better colors and clarity through the lens, with active local diming the night is much much better over G2 and the clouds are seen correctly and same in 
QPro.. Make sure you do not have the encode bitrate in dymanic and if it is fixed at 200 for air link and up to 500-960 for oculus link

Edited by Werewolf_fs
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Werewolf_fs said:
That is not my experience. I came from G2 to QPro. Better colors and clarity through the lens, with active local diming the night is much much better over G2 and the clouds are seen correctly and same in 
QPro.. Make sure you do not have the encode bitrate in dymanic and if it is fixed at 200 for air link and up to 500-960 for oculus link

My settings (I use Cable link only, 72Hz), any advices?

EzilghV.jpg

Sim reports me 3232x3328 pxt what is very ok for me.

I use also OpenXR Toolkit (DCS MT only till now), I have a slight saturation here, I need to check, so maybe that's it?

Btw. Also what I noticed, this ODT doesn't always remember the settings before (sometimes it's ok, and sometimes some goes back to the default position), sometimes I have to change something in Service corner, mainly ASW goes back to Auto (from Disable), and Pixel Override to 0, and I have 1.15

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Clouds in VR sucks, even at ultra setting, and I can tell you after using both Pico4 and QPro, it is not the headset's fault.

3 hours ago, skywalker22 said:

Is the "Controller Charge Cable" which is inside the box, the same one as this?

Ah, I don't use the controller charging cable so I cannot tell. But those from VR Cover work and perform data link. The longer one also charging at the same time, not to mention, it is much longer.

Edited by VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants
  • Thanks 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

The contents of DCS World are so overwhelming to me: so many things to try, so many things to revisit. For now, whining about new products being late does not make much sense.

hace 2 horas, YoYo dijo:

My settings (I use Cable link only, 72Hz), any advices?

EzilghV.jpg

Sim reports me 3232x3328 pxt what is very ok for me.

I use also OpenXR Toolkit (DCS MT only till now), I have a slight saturation here, I need to check, so maybe that's it?

Btw. Also what I noticed, this ODT doesn't always remember the settings before (sometimes it's ok, and sometimes some goes back to the default position), sometimes I have to change something in Service corner, mainly ASW goes back to Auto (from Disable), and Pixel Override to 0, and I have 1.15

I have exactly the same config! but ASW in AUTO. I don't know why but I see it much better than in G2

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Werewolf_fs said:

I have exactly the same config! but ASW in AUTO. I don't know why but I see it much better than in G2

If you can and have 5 free minutes 😉, pls test it. Just open a track in DCS-MT and if you can back with info that you see strange effects on clouds (color stratification, like missing RGB, or very poor compression) or not. I checked OXR toolkit, but even if I back to no boost of saturations and colours I see it still. Btw. I did this test on the Channel map (if you have it). Thank you.

test.trk

Edited by YoYo
  • Like 1

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

hace 3 horas, YoYo dijo:

Si puede y tiene 5 minutos libres 😉, por favor pruébelo. Simplemente abra una pista en DCS-MT y, si puede, retroceda con información de que ve efectos extraños en las nubes (estratificación de color, como falta de RGB o compresión muy baja) o no. Revisé el kit de herramientas OXR, pero incluso si no vuelvo a aumentar las saturaciones y los colores, todavía lo veo.

prueba.trk 3,71 MB · 3 descargas

ok

• Like 1

Overall QP compared to G2 goggles are really cool. However, it is not a revolution, but an evolution, at least not everywhere. So far from my experience, apart from all the advantages, the biggest problem is the reflection of colors (similar), if we have a larger surface, for example water. If we look completely down at right angles, the colors are drawn in circles with sharp transitions. It doesn't look very good, there was no such effect in G2. Night and clouds at night are also a problem, when illuminated by the moon (if you want to check it, use my Track above), the base of the clouds, which is black, also looks bad, like missing RGB colors and smooth transitions (at full night only with clouds and new night lighting in DCS). That wasn't in G2 either. So it is worth paying attention to the fact that goggles, although they are cool, also have their disadvantages compared G2 and therefore they are certainly not 100% perfect as some thinks 😉. It can a bit also look like issue of compression of homogeneous colors over a larger area (blue area, dark clouds etc). During the day, evening or dawn and flying over the map of the terrain there is nothing like that and everything is ok. I wonder if something will happen in this topic of such transitions of homogeneous colors and Meta, in software, is able to improve it in the future. It would be fine if they will improve it.

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

2 hours ago, YoYo said:

use my Track above

Hi YoYo, what module your test track uses cause it's asking for activation

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

3 hours ago, YoYo said:

Overall QP compared to G2 goggles are really cool. However, it is not a revolution, but an evolution, at least not everywhere. So far from my experience, apart from all the advantages, the biggest problem is the reflection of colors (similar), if we have a larger surface, for example water. If we look completely down at right angles, the colors are drawn in circles with sharp transitions. It doesn't look very good, there was no such effect in G2. Night and clouds at night are also a problem, when illuminated by the moon (if you want to check it, use my Track above), the base of the clouds, which is black, also looks bad, like missing RGB colors and smooth transitions (at full night only with clouds and new night lighting in DCS). That wasn't in G2 either. So it is worth paying attention to the fact that goggles, although they are cool, also have their disadvantages compared G2 and therefore they are certainly not 100% perfect as some thinks 😉. It can a bit also look like issue of compression of homogeneous colors over a larger area (blue area, dark clouds etc). During the day, evening or dawn and flying over the map of the terrain there is nothing like that and everything is ok. I wonder if something will happen in this topic of such transitions of homogeneous colors and Meta, in software, is able to improve it in the future. It would be fine if they will improve it.

I don't think anyone has claimed that the QP is the VR Holy Grail 🙂 However, considering what is currently on the market and factoring in price, FOV, performance... I personally think it is the best option if you want to have an improved FOV, with edge to edge clarity, and great performance with an adequate PC. I used the G2 for years, but could never go back to that pinpoint sweet spot and feeling of having a restricted FOV. I actually put it back on a couple weeks ago and it was a real bummer; went right back to the QP. 

The other thing we can't forget here is that the DCS engine sucks. I still play it a lot, but IL2, MSFS, and Elite Dangerous are a much better visual experience in VR. No headset is going to change that, ED needs to change that. 

• Like 1

PC: ASUS TUF 4090oc - Ryzen 7950X3D - 32gb DDR5 6000 - Quest Pro

Sims: DCS, IL2, MSFS

Pilot Skill: Drunk guy from Independence Day

RIO Skill: Goose (post neck-break) 

6 minutes ago, DirtyMike0330 said:

I don't think anyone has claimed that the QP is the VR Holy Grail 🙂 However, considering what is currently on the market and factoring in price, FOV, performance... I personally think it is the best option if you want to have an improved FOV, with edge to edge clarity, and great performance with an adequate PC. I used the G2 for years, but could never go back to that pinpoint sweet spot and feeling of having a restricted FOV. I actually put it back on a couple weeks ago and it was a real bummer; went right back to the QP. 

The other thing we can't forget here is that the DCS engine sucks. I still play it a lot, but IL2, MSFS, and Elite Dangerous are a much better visual experience in VR. No headset is going to change that, ED needs to change that. 

This 👆. Every headset has its pros and cons. There is a balance of cost vs functionality/features, like a Rolls Royce and a Jaguar.

3 hours ago, YoYo said:

I don't know what you are seeing. Do you have ASW enabled? This can cause compression-style artefacts in larges areas of solid/similar colours such as sky or sea.

Hi fellas, mine has just arrived and I wondered if someone can help with some basic set up questions, as I cannot see any instrutrions in the box! 

1) will it need charging first? 

2) I ordered a link cable as well, how does that work, is it power from the PC? 

3) Will there be any conflict from currently installed software for my G2? Do I need to uninstall anything? 

4) I use OpenXR in DCS, via the shortcut, is that dispensed with now? 

5) what software do I need? Its Occulus, so do I need something from them?

6) What will I need the hand controllers for, I dont use mine at all in DCS currently with the G2...are they required for set up only in this case? ( I wont be using for anything other than DCS seated) 

Thanks! 

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

16 minutes ago, markturner1960 said:

Hi fellas, mine has just arrived and I wondered if someone can help with some basic set up questions, as I cannot see any instrutrions in the box! 

1) will it need charging first? 

2) I ordered a link cable as well, how does that work, is it power from the PC? 

3) Will there be any conflict from currently installed software for my G2? Do I need to uninstall anything? 

4) I use OpenXR in DCS, via the shortcut, is that dispensed with now? 

5) what software do I need? Its Occulus, so do I need something from them?

6) What will I need the hand controllers for, I dont use mine at all in DCS currently with the G2...are they required for set up only in this case? ( I wont be using for anything other than DCS seated) 

Thanks! 

1) will it need charging first? It will have like 50-80% , but it doesn't take long to charge up fully and you might as well prior to setup. Just toss it on the dock.

2) I ordered a link cable as well, how does that work, is it power from the PC? It allows you to use the QP as a PCVR device, so you get the benefits of that. Having a hard connection and the ability to use the PC oculus software to change various settings is ideal for flight sims. You get power from the PC, but not enough to keep the headset charged indefinitely. See my first post and subsequent posts throughout this thread that link a usb-c hub (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BS9C9RBZ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details) that allows you to play in PCVR mode indefinitely. As far as settings, I linked the settings from another forum member in my original post and would recommend that to you as well.

3) Will there be any conflict from currently installed software for my G2? Do I need to uninstall anything? Probably not, but I always prefer to have a clean canvas when switching ecosystems. Personally, I would recommend uninstalling anything related to WMR first. Just my preference and it is easy enough to reinstall if you go back to the G2. 

4) I use OpenXR in DCS, via the shortcut, is that dispensed with now? DCS MT and MSFS launches in OpenXR natively, no need to tinker. For IL-2, I manually drop in the OpenXR .dll from https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR/-/tree/openxr

5) what software do I need? Its Occulus, so do I need something from them? Oculus Home software for your PC, Oculus Tool Tray for easily changing settings and setting up profiles that launch per game https://www.apollyonvr.com/oculus-tray-tool (or use native Oculus Debug Tool), and the mobile app for initial setup (and phone notifications, which I find very helpful). See original post for link to forum member's settings for the PC software. 

6) What will I need the hand controllers for, I dont use mine at all in DCS currently with the G2...are they required for set up only in this case? ( I wont be using for anything other than DCS seated) You don't have to use the hand controllers. You can use the headset volume buttons, your mouse, or setup hand tracking inside the headset (pretty nice actually). If you want to access your desktop through Quest Link (the cable you're plugging in and then communicating with the PC software), you have to use the controller to click the DESKTOP button. Hand tracking doesn't work for that. But after that, I just power off the controller and start whatever games I'm playing. Or you can just bypass the virtual access to the desktop and use your PC monitor and mouse to launch whatever. That will make more sense once you're actually setup. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Perfect, thank you!

• Like 1

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Guys,

how do you deal with the problem that the ODT does not remember the settings (btw. how is it possible in the 21st century? 🤪). Mainly it concerns the Services option, e.g. I have Pixel per display 1.15, and it usually goes back to 0 on startup. It obviously doesn't remember some of the settings, the same ASW=Disable, it changes it to Auto.

Any advices?

JjLWcc9m.jpg

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

3 minutes ago, YoYo said:

Guys,

how do you deal with the problem that the ODT does not remember the settings (btw. how is it possible in the 21st century? 🤪). Mainly it concerns the Services option, e.g. I have Pixel per display 1.15, and it usually goes back to 0 on startup. It obviously doesn't remember some of the settings, the same ASW=Disable, it changes it to Auto.

Any advices?

JjLWcc9m.jpg

Use the oculus tray tool if you need it to remember settings.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, slughead said:

This 👆. Every headset has its pros and cons. There is a balance of cost vs functionality/features, like a Rolls Royce and a Jaguar.

I don't know what you are seeing. Do you have ASW enabled? This can cause compression-style artefacts in larges areas of solid/similar colours such as sky or sea.

No, ASW is disabled, but it looks like this. Can it be avoided or do you have to live with it? I generally fly 90% of the day anyway so I can live with it, but it would be nice if Meta would do something about it when you're on cable, however I'm more of a YES when talking about QP vs G2 moreover.

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

39 minutes ago, YoYo said:

No, ASW is disabled, but it looks like this. Can it be avoided or do you have to live with it? I generally fly 90% of the day anyway so I can live with it, but it would be nice if Meta would do something about it when you're on cable, however I'm more of a YES when talking about QP vs G2 moreover.

I don't know of a fix/workaround at this time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YoYo said:

Guys,

Any advices?

JjLWcc9m.jpg

As Slug mentioned, I would use OTT if I were you https://www.apollyonvr.com/oculus-tray-tool 

It lets you set per-game profiles. So, for example, when I launch Il2, it turns ASW off since I don't need it for 90fps. When I launch DCS, it will kick on ASW 45. It has some other convenient features as well, such as changing your audio devices. So, since I use my Arctis headset with the QP, it will automagically change my windows audio devices to the Arctis when I connect the QP, and then revert back to my PC speakers when I disconnect. 

It will also retain any PPD and ASW settings in general, if you opt to not use profiles. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for tips! 💪

• Like 1

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

3 hours ago, DirtyMike0330 said:

such as changing your audio devices.

I'm using OTT longtime now but I haven't seen this feature. Where exactly is it?

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

Sorry for more dumb questions.....I have installed the occulus software and OTT . However, I dont see the any options for graphics in the Oculus GUI, under "settings" it has options for account, privacy, payment, general and Beta. On the left there are options for Home, Store, Library, Events, Devices & settings. Cant see any graphics settings options anywhere......? 

41 minutes ago, diamond26 said:

I'm using OTT longtime now but I haven't seen this feature. Where exactly is it?

1.png

29 minutes ago, markturner1960 said:

Sorry for more dumb questions.....I have installed the occulus software and OTT . However, I dont see the any options for graphics in the Oculus GUI, under "settings" it has options for account, privacy, payment, general and Beta. On the left there are options for Home, Store, Library, Events, Devices & settings. Cant see any graphics settings options anywhere......? 

3.png

2.png

I would also recommend you join the public test channel, enable dev features, and also eye tracking (once you configure eye tracking in the headset itself). This will get your local dimming activated as well. image.png

Edited by DirtyMike0330
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1